COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (6 Viewers)

What is the alternative to ‘willing to accept’?

Question everything.... that's how we get truth.
For the love of all things public health, it's HIPAA!!!! I can't take these discussions of HIPAA seriously when you can't get correctly spell out the acronym that its commonly called. Imagine having a serious conversation about the role and responsibility of the FDA with someone that keeps calling it FAD. It's like starting conversation off by saying, "first off let me announce that I don't know the basics about the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, having said that I interpret HIPPA..."

Second, dude we get it. This hill you're prepared to die on. The information is not useless simply because you don't understand the benefit of limited information versus detailed information. To take the stance you're taking, you'd have to believe that school systems that opened for purely political reasons are now sharing this information for purely political reasons that are in direct opposition of the stance they took to open in the first damn place. We get it. You want to discredit what's been released in these instances under the guise that it's "incomplete" or "not detailed". No one is misinterpreting how you feel though why is up for personal interpretation. But that you want to see more data has been thoroughly communicated.

I copied and pasted it from the post I was quoting... thanks for a grammatical error check, and not addressing the logic or facts... you perfectly point out exactly what I am talking about.

I will say it again - I don't have any feelings (good or bad) about your or anyone else's ideals... I have no political affiliation, and I don't vote along party lines like some political robot.... I want real factual detailed information, even if it's at the cost of anyone's beliefs or opinions - so I can make informed decisions.

This is not a "political stance"... this should be common in your everyday life.... If it's not, you need to reassess your priorities.

Last edited:
We ( my company) has been advised by our Labor attorney that if an employee tests positive, the ONLY information we can dole out is that in fact, "an employee" has tested positive. Cant give the person name, dept, what test, when it was administered , are they showing symptoms, etc. ( even though we are a company of less than 50 so preeeeety easy to id who out lol )

Point being, thats ALL we can give as far as information. In a facility such as JPSB i cant imagine the amount of back n forth between legal and administration as to what can be told and what cant.

Your company can make whatever internal personnel decisions they like on this matter - My point was that Hipaa Compliance was not a factor.

And that's fine for them to keep it confidential if they want to... but don't have your small companies Labor attorney go on TV and announce that "some people" have tested positive in your company, and that the company is going to lay everyone off because of that, BUT not provide you any specific details or real-time reasons as to why that's necessary, or give you information that helps you decide what to do next.

Last edited:
Your company can make whatever internal personnel decisions they like on this matter - My point was that Hipaa Compliance was not a factor.

sigh...of course it has to do with HIPAA.

Are you truly involved with HIPAA compliance or just saying that???? cmon now.

Disclosures to the Media or Others Not Involved in the Care of the Patient/Notification In general, except in the limited circumstances described elsewhere in this Bulletin, affirmative reporting to the media or the public at large about an identifiable patient, or the disclosure to the public or media of specific information about treatment of an identifiable patient, such as specific tests, test results or details of a patient’s illness, may not be done without the patient’s written authorization (or the written authorization of a personal representative who is a person legally authorized to make health care 5 decisions for the patient). See 45 CFR 164.508 for the requirements for a HIPAA authorization. Where a patient has not objected to or restricted the release of protected health information, a covered hospital or other health care facility may, upon a request to disclose information about a particular patient asked for by name, release limited facility directory information to acknowledge an individual is a patient at the facility, and may provide basic information about the patient’s condition in general terms (e.g., critical or stable, deceased, or treated and released). Covered entities may also disclose information when the patient is incapacitated, if the disclosure is believed to be in the best interest of the patient and is consistent with any prior expressed preferences of the patient. See 45 CFR 164.510(a).

HIPAA Privacy Rule

The Privacy Rule standards address the use and disclosure of individuals’ health information (known as “protected health information”) by entities subject to the Privacy Rule. These individuals and organizations are called “covered entities.” The Privacy Rule also contains standards for individuals’ rights to understand and control how their health information is used. A major goal of the Privacy Rule is to ensure that individuals’ health information is properly protected while allowing the flow of health information needed to provide and allowing the flow of health information needed to provide and promote high quality health care and to protect the public’s health and well-being. The Privacy Rule strikes a balance that permits important uses of information while protecting the privacy of people who seek care and healing.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

You can protect a patients “protected health information” and adhere to HIPAA without withholding/omitting and allowing for the flow of health information needed to provide and promote high quality health care and to protect the public’s health and well-being!

You can protect names, addresses, patient history, etc.... and still provide/share context, testing details, and specific situational data... All in the name of promoting high quality health care and to protect the public’s health and well-being.

That's why it exists.

Last edited:
I have a 5-year old (kindergarten) and a 2nd grader. The kindergarten is starting Aug. 17, full-time in-school. The teachers and staff will be wearing masks. The students will not. The school also has pre-school (2K - 4K).

My 2nd grader will start in-school on August 18. She will go twice a week under the current status that is in place for at-least three weeks. Masks are required for staff and students. The school has a detailed plan but while it looks good, it doesn't really give the metrics upon which the operating decisions are based. I asked the administrators to explain more fully and they have advised that they will be releasing that information in the coming week.

My 4yo starts his Montessori school today. The teachers are wearing masks and have reduced the number of kids that can attend. They cut out certain activities and have planned cleaning times. They also staggered drop off and pick-up times. The teachers are stressed and freaking out a bit, but the parent base is very supportive of them. I hope it works out. My kid really wants to be there.

I don't think that's a good analogy at all. Schools successfully enforce dress codes - kids that show up with non-compliant attire get sent home, it's been that way for decades. If the school system said that students that show up without a mask will be sent home, I think that the vast majority would comply, and everyone would eventually comply after a few days if the school stuck to it as a requirement. And then in school, the students are expected to wear them most of the time when indoors (with a few allowances, eating for example).

Sure, there will be various non-compliance throughout the day but if the school is serious about it, this can be managed. It's crazy to think that out of all the behavior that schools are able to manage, this one is beyond their capability. A small percentage of students engaging in clandestine activity such as sneaking vape pens isn't really a valid analogy - if a student is in a situation where the mask is supposed to be worn, it's obvious if its being worn or not. Non-compliance can be addressed case-by-case just like other student behavioral issues, and habitual non-compliance can be sent home.

:shrug:
I'm guessing you either have no kids in school or it's been awhile? Dress codes mean very little and teachers have very limited control over kids. It's shocking to me how jr high and high school students are allowed to act. The stories my kids tell me will just make you shake your head. In March when there was talk of closing schools down kids were coughing in each other's faces hoping they would close school. That sound like something you think teachers can keep from happening?

HIPAA would prevent specific names, but not counts. You can say "13 employees have tested positive." I believe you could list the type of test that was used.

I don't know that you can give details about how they contracted because you can't give info that could allow people to deduce who they are. That makes situational data tough. I worked on BI reporting for BCBS Tennessee and we had a lot of challenges with that. A lot of the reports had to be run by the compliance office and they removed a lot of situational data that could be used to deduce who was in the underlying group. It was things we didn't even consider.

sigh...of course it has to do with HIPAA.

Are you truly involved with HIPAA compliance or just saying that???? cmon now.

Disclosures to the Media or Others Not Involved in the Care of the Patient/Notification In general, except in the limited circumstances described elsewhere in this Bulletin, affirmative reporting to the media or the public at large about an identifiable patient, or the disclosure to the public or media of specific information about treatment of an identifiable patient, such as specific tests, test results or details of a patient’s illness, may not be done without the patient’s written authorization (or the written authorization of a personal representative who is a person legally authorized to make health care 5 decisions for the patient). See 45 CFR 164.508 for the requirements for a HIPAA authorization. Where a patient has not objected to or restricted the release of protected health information, a covered hospital or other health care facility may, upon a request to disclose information about a particular patient asked for by name, release limited facility directory information to acknowledge an individual is a patient at the facility, and may provide basic information about the patient’s condition in general terms (e.g., critical or stable, deceased, or treated and released). Covered entities may also disclose information when the patient is incapacitated, if the disclosure is believed to be in the best interest of the patient and is consistent with any prior expressed preferences of the patient. See 45 CFR 164.510(a).

HIPAA is a source of regular error and misperception in the public and even healthcare professionals.

The key to your quote here is "about an identifiable patient". Where the information shared with public-health agencies or the public is not of the kind that would allow the patient to be identified (e.g. with personal information revealed or in a context where the patient's identity would be obvious from the report), there is no HIPAA privacy issue.

HIPAA would prevent specific names, but not counts. You can say "13 employees have tested positive." I believe you could list the type of test that was used.

I don't know that you can give details about how they contracted because you can't give info that could allow people to deduce who they are. That makes situational data tough. I worked on BI reporting for BCBS Tennessee and we had a lot of challenges with that. A lot of the reports had to be run by the compliance office and they removed a lot of situational data that could be used to deduce who was in the underlying group. It was things we didn't even consider.

Right... It's about protecting identities and personal information.... not suppressing details that have the potential promote and protect the public’s health and well-being or aid the public in making informed decisions on their (and their families) health.

Last edited:

Info beyond overall counts are hard to come by. Most organizations won't release anything beyond that because of the privacy rules. To expect more than that is unrealistic in today's business environment.

HIPAA Privacy Rule

The Privacy Rule standards address the use and disclosure of individuals’ health information (known as “protected health information”) by entities subject to the Privacy Rule. These individuals and organizations are called “covered entities.” The Privacy Rule also contains standards for individuals’ rights to understand and control how their health information is used. A major goal of the Privacy Rule is to ensure that individuals’ health information is properly protected while allowing the flow of health information needed to provide and allowing the flow of health information needed to provide and promote high quality health care and to protect the public’s health and well-being. The Privacy Rule strikes a balance that permits important uses of information while protecting the privacy of people who seek care and healing.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

You can protect a patients “protected health information” and adhere to HIPAA without withholding/omitting and allowing for the flow of health information needed to provide and promote high quality health care and to protect the public’s health and well-being!

You can protect names, addresses, patient history, etc.... and still provide/share context, testing details, and specific situational data... All in the name of promoting high quality health care and to protect the public’s health and well-being.

That's why it exists.

Thats also why labor attorneys exist. It clearly states that you would need the patients consent to share data in the paragraph i posted above that specific to COVID 19.

My point has been made. Entities cannot share that info publicly without crossing HIPAA lines.

You may think im on the other side of this, but im not. I think special circumstances apply here and this information SHOULD be made public so that transparency is upheld and folks can make truly informed decisions.

Unfortunately that isnt the case and here we are.

HIPAA is a source of regular error and misperception in the public and even healthcare professionals.

The key to your quote here is "about an identifiable patient". Where the information shared with public-health agencies or the public is not of the kind that would allow the patient to be identified (e.g. with personal information revealed or in a context where the patient's identity would be obvious from the report), there is no HIPAA privacy issue.

Correct.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom