COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (4 Viewers)

That's what the whole push is about. They believe the economy can't "reopen" without a place to send kids so parents can work. So to validate it they suddenly hail schools as this social bulwark against child abuse, suicide, malnutrition, etc. and start pushing the ludicrous idea that "not sending them is more dangerous than sending them!"

very well said

And we won’t serve decent lunches. And we won’t hire emotional support staff. And we don’t hire nurses. And we will take away family social supports.

which only underscores the degree to which the actual, sincere behind this rhetoric is zero. It’s pure kabuki theater.

very well said

And we won’t serve decent lunches. And we won’t hire emotional support staff. And we don’t hire nurses. And we will take away family social supports.

which only underscores the degree to which the actual, sincere behind this rhetoric is zero. It’s pure kabuki theater.
Wait, what did kabuki theatre do?

very well said

I think the conversation needs to change to how can we help and support those kids who are in the special circumstance category, whether that be medical, or financial. For example, I saw a special ed teacher mention that her autistic or DS students were suffering because they couldn't engage in distance learning. Also, what can AT
& T, Google, or Verizon do to ensure that kids have access to high-speed internet? Maybe state & local governments can partner with these companies to improve access.

This seems like a good way to end up with a teacher shortage, either by strikes or illness.
Why would they hide this data? If I were a teacher or parent, I'd demand that every single positive case is reported immediately and anyone with kids in that infected kid's class should be forced to do at home learning for at least 2 weeks. Teachers should quarantine too. There is no other way to make it to the end of September otherwise.

If your locale is in the midst of an outbreak, school will not look like school at all, but you wouldn't know that by listening to the non-educators pushing such a haphazard reopening. The reality is so far from the mental images some have of returning to normal. It's still distance learning, but with the option to spread the virus. We are being set up to fail.

I’m not sure just how “emotionally and psychologically supported” any of us will feel given that I will be masked, goggled, face-shielded, gloved, and wearing scrubs, all of which says, “I am concerned that my students will give me COVID-19,” and I will be purposely distanced from my students, who themselves will be masked and purposely-distanced from one another.

Harrison is still a hot spot. We are still under a countywide mask order. Hancock is doing better than us.
I've been referring to this site:

https://globalepidemics.org/key-metrics-for-covid-suppression/

Harrison has the 4th lowest per capita rate in the state over the last 7 days (the site is also lagged 2 days). It also has one of the highest populations in the state, so the number of actual cases probably is higher than most other counties.

I think the conversation needs to change to how can we help and support those kids who are in the special circumstance category, whether that be medical, or financial. For example, I saw a special ed teacher mention that her autistic or DS students were suffering because they couldn't engage in distance learning. Also, what can AT
& T, Google, or Verizon do to ensure that kids have access to high-speed internet? Maybe state & local governments can partner with these companies to improve access.
Very much yes
In ways, it’s a parallel conversation to the ‘defund the police ‘ topic
Mental health (well, all health), nutrition, family counseling, et al can certainly be addressed adjacent to education (even in the school building if that’s the best location
But why put a former Language Arts teacher/now principal in charge of those things and then keep shrinking the budget for them - they can even be collaborative entities, but each should be led either by an expert in that area or an expert in logistics who coordinates with content leaders

It shocks me that none of these companies have stepped up of their own volition - it would be the right thing to do but also amazing PR for corporations in an industry that can always use good/better PR.

And the government can - across the board - deem it an essential service.

I mean, the lack of any movement on the lowest hanging fruit is such an indictment of our entire system.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom