COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (9 Viewers)

I mean, I'm not a fan of the current leadership in Orleans. But, the reverse question could also be asked. How is it that Jefferson thinks they are ready to send kids back to school when Orleans isn't? I don't know which one is making the right decision, but I don't think it's close to a stone cold fact that Jefferson is doing the right thing and Orleans is not. And, I think one of the major considerations in Orleans is that Orleans has a poorer population with higher levels of comorbidities than the much more wealthy Jefferson Parish. So that makes some difference in the advisable level of caution.
It sure seems like Jefferson ends up making the same move Orleans already made a few weeks to a month prior. Orleans has some of the best numbers in the state from what I've seen. Maybe she's being overly cautious and I'm not a fan of hers at all, but our COVID numbers compared to the rate we started with are like night and day.

Highest daily spike since June - 213.

we were consistently sub-100 for weeks.

school is just starting and I think it may be short lived. 2/3 are under 40. The demographics of this thing have changed here and it shows how we can mitigate it. Or not.Through Choices.

This week, I sat in on a virtual school board meeting for the first time. Never had I been so riveted to that really didn't say much of anything. It appears our school board will decide on a hybrid model on Sept 21st. The Superintendent did say he was leaning towards sending Special Ed back to school full time sooner than later. That's a huge relief since online learning simply doesn't work with most autistic children. My son has seen a huge spike in behaviors over the summer. It's almost impossible to get him to participate with online classes. We had a 16yo, in the neighborhood, that tried to commit suicide last week. I'm very concerned that is a much bigger problem.

I'm glad that they stressed that the Attorney General has issued an opinion stating that playing football would not create liability for schools. It's very reassuring that if this is a terrible idea, at least the schools won't be responsible for medical care or damages for the sick kids or their sick family members.

I'm glad that they stressed that the Attorney General has issued an opinion stating that playing football would not create liability for schools. It's very reassuring that if this is a terrible idea, at least the schools won't be responsible for medical care or damages for the sick kids or their sick family members.

Yeah, I mean it's fine if kids and teachers die as long as the Parish isn't liable for their deaths.

Of course, Jeff Landry is the Attorney General and, as you know, his legal opinion is wrong on most issues.

I don't know, it's a gas station convenience store - there aren't many in Rayne. It has a red overhang above the pumps, so I'm guessing its the Circle K at I-10, but I can get confirmation.
NO worries, saw the furniture and thought it was a wood furniture store..lol

I'm late to the party, but I wanted like 1 minute of the Thursday night game.. when they were talking about the crowd being spaced out.. I'm like.. umm.. no they aren't. Maybe they were in groups together, but quite a few looked far too clumped together.

Broward schools (fort lauderdale area) are allowing sports teams to work out, just not practice. still on remote learning.

Wow, they're going full throttle, huh? I take this to be a good thing, though. If there was concern with any aspect, they would be going in the opposite direction. And giving it to those with stable HIV? Interesting. I would suppose that if they can handle it, then people with fully functioning immune systems should be in good shape.

Wow, they're going full throttle, huh? I take this to be a good thing, though. If there was concern with any aspect, they would be going in the opposite direction. And giving it to those with stable HIV? Interesting. I would suppose that if they can handle it, then people with fully functioning immune systems should be in good shape.

It's certainly a good thing in terms of these companies being responsible and making sure that the vaccine is safe. Based on the article, it appears that it will not change their expectation that they will likely complete the trial, know if it is safe, and be able to apply for FDA approval by the end of October. Also, according the the article, these two are supposed to be the two companies likely to be the first to finish Phase 3 trials.

From the article:

“The companies continue to expect that a conclusive readout on efficacy is likely by the end of October,” the press release said. The Pfizer and BioNTech study is likely to be among the first in the U.S. to report efficacy data from a Phase 3 trial."

Ostensibly this is my issue with HS and college ball - with the little we know about longterm effects, we do know that heart tissue damage is a distinct possibility
15-21 year olds are not, as a group, equipped to my make Longterm decisions about most anything- health in particular
Are the adults who are sanctioning the potentially damaging behavior going to kick in when the bill comes?

Ontario reported zero deaths yesterday. The deaths have been really, really low lately.

But our cases have been spiking recently.

I know some of that is due to our cases being very low a couple of weeks ago, so I expect deaths to rise. But I am also hoping that it's an indication that we are also managing cases better in the hospital.

I have a friend who dropped his kid off at Ole Miss a couple of weeks ago for Freshman Year. My friend came back home. He got the virus, possibly from going up to Ole Miss, most likely actually. He was in bad shape, had to be admitted to the hospital. Got treatment, yes there are treatments now, felt much better pretty quickly. He's back home and doing better. I think major colleges are a huge driver of some of the positive test data. Mostly asymptomatic cases. Schools need to quarantine these kids and not send them home.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom