COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (6 Viewers)

But by Tuesday, a classroom was temporarily closed for deep cleaning and the teacher and 20 other students had been asked to quarantine for two weeks after the second grader tested positive.

What's the point of opening? They thought this would not happen? That's their plan? My... so stupid.

We start school Monday. Last night we got an email from the Principal of the middle school saying that one secretary has it, and 5 have been quarantined. The next paragraph pretty much said, and I quote:

"As you have probably seen in the news, many school districts have had to quarantine students and staff members due to a positive case or close contact with someone who tests positive. Please understand that masks, social distancing, and proper hand-washing techniques are effective in preventing the spread of this virus. However, despite our best efforts, we will in all likelihood have positive cases this school year. When we learn of positive cases, we will work with the County Health Department to notify staff and families of the person infected, and contact tracing will begin immediately. One positive case is not going to force us into full distance learning like it did last spring."

We start school Monday. Last night we got an email from the Principal of the middle school saying that one secretary has it, and 5 have been quarantined. The next paragraph pretty much said, and I quote:

"As you have probably seen in the news, many school districts have had to quarantine students and staff members due to a positive case or close contact with someone who tests positive. Please understand that masks, social distancing, and proper hand-washing techniques are effective in preventing the spread of this virus. However, despite our best efforts, we will in all likelihood have positive cases this school year. When we learn of positive cases, we will work with the County Health Department to notify staff and families of the person infected, and contact tracing will begin immediately. One positive case is not going to force us into full distance learning like it did last spring."

If they are sending people to quarantine for 2 weeks the 2nd day of school, its inevitable. This is going to cause so much stress on families with this unknown trying to make schools open.

Does anyone actually think kids should be going back to school right now? I could understand the idea if we've had two consecutive months of a serious downward trend in cases but we've had just the opposite.

Lots of very stupid people think it's a great idea and the key to some magic economic rebound that is not going to actually happen.

A co-worker of mine has 2 school age children. She called the school board yesterday and asked how kids are going to social
distance when riding a school bus. They couldn't answer her question.

A co-worker of mine has 2 school age children. She called the school board yesterday and asked how kids are going to social

I know here buses are planning on running at 50% capacity.

The Calcasieu Parish School Board’s school buses will operate at 50% capacity to maintain appropriate social distancing. Bus operators will be required to wear a face covering while on duty. Upon entering the school bus, every student utilizing school bus transportation will be required to sanitize their hands using hand sanitizer. School buses will be required to travel with the windows open to facilitate air flow as permitted by weather. Each school bus operator will be required to sanitize their school bus after each individual route. While on the bus, all students will be required to wear a face covering. Due to social distancing, please expect an increase in the amount of time that routes may take to complete. CPSB strongly encourages families to drop off their student(s) and pick them up from school to the maximum extent possible. Student seating charts should be established and maintained.

Almost positive it's going to be a complete cluster the first few weeks. Even under normal circumstances those first couple of weeks are erratic for the bus schedules.

In Jefferson Parish, school buses will be at roughly 20-25% capacity. One child per seat, every other seat empty. Siblings in the same household can sit together on one seat. Some routes are being run twice.

Far fewer children are attending in person locally, so the busing should generally even out even at reduced capacity.

I can see that the car rider lanes are going to be out of this world with the parishes/counties that are actually enforcing bus social distancing or the parents are taking precautions.

This won't end in this country until (I know there is disagreement on this issue, but I am 99%+ confident that two safe effective vaccines will be released in the next 3-5 months) one or more vaccines are introduced and a sufficient number of people have been inoculated. The Pfizer vaccine should have about 100 million doses ready by the end of this year for use in the USA, the Moderna vaccine should be at least in the tens of millions of doses available also. Not to start a vaccine, "will it work, will it be safe, will it be taken" discussion, but in this country, we either get a vaccine out there that works in a huge number of people or the weekly infection numbers will not be going down until next Summer.

If they are sending people to quarantine for 2 weeks the 2nd day of school, its inevitable. This is going to cause so much stress on families with this unknown trying to make schools open.
That’s why I was so adamant about just going remote. I had no desire to do this in school/distance learning/in school dance all fall/winter. Pick one, do it as well as possible, and get good at it. No, it’s not great, but, is it any worse than this on and off unpredictability?

That’s why I was so adamant about just going remote. I had no desire to do this in school/distance learning/in school dance all fall/winter. Pick one, do it as well as possible, and get good at it. No, it’s not great, but, is it any worse than this on and off unpredictability?

That's always been my thinking. Kids thrive on consistency. If they know they will do distance learning they can adjust and so can the teachers. But if you make them bounce back and forth it's going to be much worse for their mental state and ability to learn. Every change will mean that they will need some time to adjust.

Can't say I'm really surprised:

Me neither. You know what would really make people comply? A 3 day jail sentence for violating the rules. Getting locked up - or even just the threat of it - is something that'll really make people think twice before doing something stupid more than the threat of as fine.

As to businesses, shutting them down for breaking the rules seems to be working as far as I can tell.

The worst part of this is the lack of expressed protocol
Fine, 1 student won’t cause a shut down, but how many will?
If the principal said ‘our analysis shows that we should be able to keep spread under X number of students- if we exceed that it shows the plans were ineffective and we will shut back down

We just bit the bullet and signed our daughter up 2nd grade in private school, This is the same school from which my son just graduated. We'd hoped to get her through 5th grade Magnet classes in public school, but it's just not to be.

The school's admissions director said applications are up 50%, but they're holding the line on class sizes, and following all social distancing guidelines. No cafeteria, kids will eat at their 6-foot apart desks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom