COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (7 Viewers)

Excellent article and I’ve never hear the term “hygiene theater” before

Sorry if it’s been posted already

It kind of reminds me a bit of the half-arsed, split second bag check that security does when you go to an amusement park
==========================
As a covid-19 summer surge sweeps the country, deep cleans are all the rage.

National restaurants such as Applebee’s are deputizing sanitation czars to oversee the constant scrubbing of window ledges, menus, and high chairs.

The gym chain Planet Fitness is boasting in ads that “there’s no surface we won’t sanitize, no machine we won’t scrub.” New York City is shutting down its subway system every night, for the first time in its 116-year history, to blast the seats, walls, and poles with a variety of antiseptic weaponry, including electrostatic disinfectant sprays.

And in Wauchula, Florida, the local government gave one resident permission to spray the town with hydrogen peroxide as he saw fit. “I think every city in the damn United States needs to be doing it," he said..........

COVID-19 has reawakened America’s spirit of misdirected anxiety, inspiring businesses and families to obsess over risk-reduction rituals that make us feel safer but don’t actually do much to reduce risk—even as more dangerous activities are still allowed. This is hygiene theater.

Scientists still don’t have a perfect grip on COVID-19—they don’t know where exactly it came from, how exactly to treat it, or how long immunity lasts.

But in the past few months, scientists have converged on a theory of how this disease travels: via air. The disease typically spreads among people through large droplets expelled in sneezes and coughs, or through smaller aerosolized droplets, as from conversations, during which saliva spray can linger in the air........

Finally, and most important, hygiene theater builds a false sense of security, which can ironically lead to more infections. Many bars, indoor restaurants, and gyms, where patrons are huffing and puffing one another’s stale air, shouldn’t be open at all.

They should be shut down and bailed out by the government until the pandemic is under control. No amount of soap and bleach changes this calculation..........

That was a very interesting article, and it makes me feel much better about eating out...at least take out, but I'm not completely convinced that all of the cleaning is unnecessary. Also, I'm not sure that I agree with the article about closing restaurants, as long as the restaurants maintain separation, and the workers wear masks. Are there examples of such responsible restaurants spreading the virus? Although the virus may linger longer in the indoor air, I haven't read anything saying that it won't fall to the ground pretty quickly. I do agree that bars and other establishments that can't maintain a distance should be closed, however even bars could maintain distancing if they were willing. It's just that they are usually not willing to either put the policy in place or enforce any policy.

I also have to wonder how all of the cleaning is affecting the very rare transmission by fomites (surfaces)? Almost every country is doing lots of cleaning. Is there an example of a country that is not doing lots of cleaning and that has it under control? I know the Japanese building seems like a great example of rare fomite spread, but if the people in that building were doing lots of hand cleaning, and exercising precautions when pressing buttons, then they wouldn't have spread the virus via fomites. That example was a slam dunk for aerial spread, but it doesn't prove fomite spread is unlikely. You also can't justify stopping the cleaning based on biased studies. The studies that stacked the deck with unreasonable amounts of virus should be thrown out, and studies need to be done with reasonable amounts of virus load on fomites. If adjusted studies reveal that spread is rare, then I'll buy into the argument laid out by the Atlantic author that we are spending too many precious resources on cleaning. Until then, I think erring on the safe side with extra cleaning is prudent.

That was a very interesting article, and it makes me feel much better about eating out...at least take out, but I'm not completely convinced that all of the cleaning is unnecessary. Also, I'm not sure that I agree with the article about closing restaurants, as long as the restaurants maintain separation, and the workers wear masks. Are there examples of such responsible restaurants spreading the virus? Although the virus may linger longer in the indoor air, I haven't read anything saying that it won't fall to the ground pretty quickly. I do agree that bars and other establishments that can't maintain a distance should be closed, however even bars could maintain distancing if they were willing. It's just that they are usually not willing to either put the policy in place or enforce any policy.

I also have to wonder how all of the cleaning is affecting the very rare transmission by fomites (surfaces)? Almost every country is doing lots of cleaning. Is there an example of a country that is not doing lots of cleaning and that has it under control? I know the Japanese building seems like a great example of rare fomite spread, but if the people in that building were doing lots of hand cleaning, and exercising precautions when pressing buttons, then they wouldn't have spread the virus via fomites. That example was a slam dunk for aerial spread, but it doesn't prove fomite spread is unlikely. You also can't justify stopping the cleaning based on biased studies. The studies that stacked the deck with unreasonable amounts of virus should be thrown out, and studies need to be done with reasonable amounts of virus load on fomites. If adjusted studies reveal that spread is rare, then I'll buy into the argument laid out by the Atlantic author that we are spending too many precious resources on cleaning. Until then, I think erring on the safe side with extra cleaning is prudent.
The only restraunt I've been inside (other than Universal Studios) is a pizza place that is huge, not even a quarter capacity, and leave the main doors open to bring in fresh air. Everyone is in a mask, unless you're at your table. I keep mine on, until I have my food/drink.

The virus can be transmitted in aeresolized form. And it can linger in the air in the right situations. It certainly doesn't fall quickly to the ground. At least not ordinarily. Viral load is a clear factor in spread and what seems to be the worst cases of community spread have been in situations where numbers of people are gathered in close contact for long periods of time. Churches, bars, movie theaters, sporting events, and yes, restaurants indoors are all hot spots and have a high risk of spread. It's why most restaurants here still don't have in store dining. They're doing only pick up or delivery. There are a few who have opened the dining areas, and even then, only 25% capacity. I refuse to eat on site at any location. Why possibly expose myself any longer than I need to?

I don't clean my mail or packages shipped to me. We don’t clean our house any differently than before. The only things I do different are when I step out my door. I wear a mask in public and give people a wide berth whenever possible.

The virus can be transmitted in aeresolized form. And it can linger in the air in the right situations. It certainly doesn't fall quickly to the ground. At least not ordinarily. Viral load is a clear factor in spread and what seems to be the worst cases of community spread have been in situations where numbers of people are gathered in close contact for long periods of time. Churches, bars, movie theaters, sporting events, and yes, restaurants indoors are all hot spots and have a high risk of spread. It's why most restaurants here still don't have in store dining. They're doing only pick up or delivery. There are a few who have opened the dining areas, and even then, only 25% capacity. I refuse to eat on site at any location. Why possibly expose myself any longer than I need to?

I don't clean my mail or packages shipped to me. We don’t clean our house any differently than before. The only things I do different are when I step out my door. I wear a mask in public and give people a wide berth whenever possible.
Same here. Door Dash is awesome by the way. Curbside delivery also. Pop open the trunk of the Camaro, nice people put in the food and off I go.
I love this not talking with people.

Same here. Door Dash is awesome by the way. Curbside delivery also. Pop open the trunk of the Camaro, nice people put in the food and off I go.
I love this not talking with people.
I like not talking to people too. My boyfriend is the opposite and talks to everyone...so last evening was the 2nd time I was at a restaurant since this all started. Outside seating at a small airport watching planes land and take off. We were the only people there. It was delightful. We tipped outrageously.

Yeah imma watch "Soylent Green" tonight, or maybe the original "Planet of the Apes."

You got to hand it to Charleston Heston. He starred in some pretty good disaster flicks. I'll add "The Omega Man" man to your
list. If you haven't seen it, Heston was the only person on earth to survive a global pandemic.

And the preliminary numbers show a 35% contraction in the US economy. Around 35 percent of the US doesn’t have enough to eat right now. Today is gearing up to have a great run of wonderful news....

Lafayette General says they tried hydroxychloroquine but stopped after not seeing success. Instead they are treating with Remdesivir.

I'd like to see more testing of the use of Tricor as a treatment. Haven't heard much on it since the announcement a while back.

If the virus isnt in an extremely managable position by nov. We have way bigger problems. If the country does what its supposed to do by acting responsible, masking up and social distancing, this could be well in hand by then. I know its just wishful thinking though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom