COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [7.244M US cases, 208,440 US deaths.] (25 Viewers)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
The original COVID-19 Outbreak thread has been closed but is still available as a read-only thread (sticky above). The original thread had become less and less about new information and more about petty bickering. The purpose of this new thread is to link or report new information as it comes out. Try not to go off course from the topic. Those of you who had been banned from the original thread feel free to participate in this new thread. Just stay on topic. Thank you.
-----------------
Edit - Andrus:
Bottom line is that moving forward we simply don't want any political bickering going on within this thread, and want to try to limit this thread to being as much about sharing Covid-19 information as possible.

If you want to discuss the political aspects of Covid-19 with other SR members, you can do so here (If you are not already registered there, you will be required to do so)...
------------------
UPDATED TRACKER LINKS:

Last edited by a moderator:

Infoman

Towelie / Marsh 2020
Reaction score
I really wish every entity everywhere was required to disclose if the "positive" tests they are reporting are from the nasal swab tests, or from the antibody blood test... (Instead of the blanket statements and non-contextual numbers of "positive" tests)

I have been told by several reputable (and A-political like myself) people I trust in the medical community that there is a huge difference between the 2....

Testing positive when given a nasal swab test typically means you have a current Covid infection, and are likely contagious and need to quarantine...

Testing positive using the blood test means you have had it in the past in more than most cases (like more than 10 days ago), and your body has already made or has started to make antibodies, and thus are exponentially less likely to be contagious (or even sick) depending on the Serology of the blood test...

There is a pretty damn important bit of context there - as opposed to - "they are all positive".... You can be around a person who has tested positive for antibodies and has no active infection (IgG).... and it's highly unlikely you would get the virus.... You can't be around someone that has tested positive via the nasal swab for 14 days or so, or it's likely you will...

Not sure why this is not pointed out repeatedly, and why cases aren't reported completely separately from one another, it wouldn't be that hard to do.... and that context would be critical to just about every decision making process for who does and doesn't need to do anything but stay home.

And frankly, it's beginning to tick me off.

Last edited:

0rion

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
There was never a better time to be an introvert.

I used to be filled with regret that I'm wasting my life by going through the motions while waiting to die.

Now I'm not only comfortable with it, I'm happy. I got rid of social media years ago because the people who I know are so disgusting. Now I know that it isn't just them. It's almost everybody. Bring on the giant meteor, Yosemite eruption, or nuclear war.
An old bartender at a bar I used to go to in my 20's had a saying that I still use today. " Some people call it being in a rut....I call it being in the groove." Haha

James Spader

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
I was watching some of that on wdsu this morning
JP teachers don’t have their supply stipend anymore?
And one of the teachers was saying that most PPE is on backorder
There is just no excuse to start this of all school years without basic supplies
When I heard one mask and tub of wipes. I wasn’t sure that I should cry or laugh. These past few years, we have bought supplies beyond what she got, we have bought a school bag for one kid, given many books and toys (most of the kids get nothing at home), and some organic candy. She lost her stipend from what she told me (I recall). I can tell my wife wants to quit badly but we would pinching pennies cause my daughter’s school isn’t cheap by any stretch.
My wife doesn’t know what’s worse, the virus or me being a cheap arse.

Last edited:

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This is so typical America. "We think schools need to be open!" Okay there's some merit to that . . . but instead of focusing on what the risks are and being responsible about it, they instead downplay the risk because that doesn't fit their viewpoint. Being responsible is somehow giving in to your opponents - so we can't do that.

So freakin dumb.

Reaction score
I was watching some of that on wdsu this morning
JP teachers don’t have their supply stipend anymore?
And one of the teachers was saying that most PPE is on backorder
There is just no excuse to start this of all school years without basic supplies
School board administrators did not use the summer to plan wisely and it is showing.

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
School board administrators did not use the summer to plan wisely and it is showing.
To be fair, given the budgets that local school have, they had no room to add precautions and equipment for COVID protection into their budgets. It's part of the reason that they should just do distance learning until things are better under control or we have a vaccine.

Maybe there is a way to safely open schools but it will take a lot of money to do so and the Feds seem to have no plans to help local school districts and/or private schools pay those costs. And they are costs for which the schools do not have the money. But, instead of distance learning or giving them the money necessary, our "leaders" have chosen to just stick their heads in the sand and count on junk science that says kids can't spread COVID.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
To be fair, given the budgets that local school have, they had no room to add precautions and equipment for COVID protection into their budgets. It's part of the reason that they should just do distance learning until things are better under control or we have a vaccine.

Maybe there is a way to safely open schools but it will take a lot of money to do so and the Feds seem to have no plans to help local school districts and/or private schools pay those costs. And they are costs for which the schools do not have the money. But, instead of distance learning or giving them the money necessary, our "leaders" have chosen to just stick their heads in the sand and count on junk science that says kids can't spread COVID.
Here’s the thing
We've been theoretically been planning for this for years (maybe decades)
I guarantee there are reams of books and PhD dissertations detailing our transition from onsite/handson work and school to a plethora of options:
Work from home/distance learning
Hybrids
decentralized education

We’ve known automation and many other technological upheavals are on the horizon
We could have used this time to experiment with workable alternatives

But alas

Saintaholic

<><><><><><><><><><><>
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
And they gave their phones out
Betcha some are even chewing gum
Or wiping their noses and putting its contents on random surfaces, or wiping their eyes and ears before dapping up a friend, or coughing/sneezing without covering their mouths, or not washing their hands after using the bathroom, or coughing on each other on purpose as a joke, or any of the other disgusting things most children (and some adults) are prone to doing.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Or wiping their noses and putting its contents on random surfaces, or wiping their eyes and ears before dapping up a friend, or coughing/sneezing without covering their mouths, or not washing their hands after using the bathroom, or coughing on each other on purpose as a joke, or any of the other disgusting things most children (and some adults) are prone to doing.
Pretty sure there will be a ‘cough in my mouth’ challenge in tik tok in the next week or so

gboudx

Not trusting a big butt and a smile since 1990.
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So it’s a total you know what show from what my wife tells me for J.P. school system. They are given only one mask and one tub of disinfect wipes. Oh, impossible to have 6 ft distance between students and teacher. My wife has to buy her own face shield too. Anyone else involved with the school system? Curious to hear about stories, my wife is really stressing out.
My wife teaches 5th in our school district. I'll post some numbers below and a link for anyone that wants to see the latest communication we received yesterday.

PPE ItemRISD Allotment
Total Disposable Masks149,872
Student Size Disposable Masks (30% of total)44,961
Adult Size Disposable Masks (70% of total)104,091
Total Reusable Masks37,468
Student Size Reusable Masks (30% of total)10,408
Adult Size Reusable Masks (70% of total)27,059
Total Adult Size Face Shields1,727
Total Gloves58,718
Total Touchless Thermometers124
Total Hand Sanitizer (Gallons)1,764

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 9, Guests: 7)

Headlines

Top Bottom