COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (18 Viewers)

I am so conflicted on this - I am grateful to see so many parents involved and concerned about their kids' education. And sensing the importance of school in general. And yet, at the same time, I can't help but be resentful of the degradation of the public system in key areas vis a vis equity and access. And people continuing to disregard the latter while rhetorically supporting the former.

This is the most serious I've seen national attention become around education, and we still can't seem to coalesce around its importance. The inefficiencies of the bureaucracy, the bloat, the gatekeeping, the hurdles and hoops, the impotence of teachers, the capriciousness of political leaders making decisions independent of educators' input (this last one is happening up here, too, incidentally - our Minister of Education is a sycophant with no experience in education whatsoever), and so on.

Months ago, I felt like we were at a moment where something real could come from this, but suspected it wouldn't. And it hasn't.

And anytime I try to find out an answer - esp back home - it's always the same answer: "You need to talk to X, I'm in charge of Y."

There's no leadership in education, no vision. What we are seeing is the degree to which mid-management administrators aren't actually administering enough in a time when we need administering. It's someone else's job, someone else's department.

Schools, right *now*, need to be planning on not being in school and conducting teaching online. Discussions with tech companies and comm companies needed to be had two months ago. Plans for food delivery to students need to be in place.

I don't see how most places in the US who are going to open are actually going to be able to or, if they do, stay open for long.

We're in a really good position up here, and I suspect we'll be in another virtual learning atmosphere before we get out of September.
The frustrating part is that when people say ‘education’ they mean ‘schooling’
Starting in April I heard precious few ideas about the best ways to educate kids; but saw plenty of ideas about how to replicate the school experience at home
All summer we could have had discussions about education adaptation- instead it was simply higher admins asking ‘how can we get kids in school?’ and just repeating that question until they got the answer they wanted

A new case report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention adds to the growing concern over how safe it will be to reopen schools in the U.S. during the current pandemic.

It details an outbreak of covid-19 at an overnight summer camp in Georgia this past June, in which hundreds of children of all ages and teenage staff members ultimately tested positive for the novel coronavirus............

Given that schools—the most youth-centric settings around—are weeks away from opening up this fall, the implications of this camp outbreak are alarming, to say the least.

But what makes it scarier is that the camp seemed to be following most of the safety guidelines recommended by the CDC for camps. These included that everyone attending have a negative test result no more than 12 days before entering the camp; sanitizing frequently visited areas and equipment; and encouraging distancing when possible.............

Last edited:
just to follow up on the post above, re: a short lived re-opening

this is alarming:

I posted both of those studies earlier on the thread. I posted both of them on Facebook. I sent both of them to my kids’ school administrators.

I don’t think it matters in the slightest.

I posted both of those studies earlier on the thread. I posted both of them on Facebook. I sent both of them to my kids’ school administrators.

I don’t think it matters in the slightest.

sorry. I went back a couple of pages to see if it had been and didn’t see. I guess I didn’t go back far enough or slid over it

sorry. I went back a couple of pages to see if it had been and didn’t see. I guess I didn’t go back far enough or slid over it

I wasn’t saying you shouldn’t have posted them. They should be posted multiple times.

I understand that there’s adversity for kids and families in not going to school. I get it and I’m experiencing it. The part that troubles me is that the open-school advocates are downplaying the Covid risk. The risk is substantial and it’s unknown.

I wasn’t saying you shouldn’t have posted them. They should be posted multiple times.

I understand that there’s adversity for kids and families in not going to school. I get it and I’m experiencing it. The part that troubles me is that the open-school advocates are downplaying the Covid risk. The risk is substantial and it’s unknown.

The issue is that too many people consider school as daycare... at least in this area I am in. So many people are upset because "teachers are getting paid to do virtual". They don't complain about all the people that's been working from home for months.

The issue is that too many people consider school as daycare... at least in this area I am in. So many people are upset because "teachers are getting paid to do virtual". They don't complain about all the people that's been working from home for months.

That's what the whole push is about. They believe the economy can't "reopen" without a place to send kids so parents can work. So to validate it they suddenly hail schools as this social bulwark against child abuse, suicide, malnutrition, etc. and start pushing the ludicrous idea that "not sending them is more dangerous than sending them!"

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom