COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [7.332M US cases, 209,562 US deaths.] (7 Viewers)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
The original COVID-19 Outbreak thread has been closed but is still available as a read-only thread (sticky above). The original thread had become less and less about new information and more about petty bickering. The purpose of this new thread is to link or report new information as it comes out. Try not to go off course from the topic. Those of you who had been banned from the original thread feel free to participate in this new thread. Just stay on topic. Thank you.
-----------------
Edit - Andrus:
Bottom line is that moving forward we simply don't want any political bickering going on within this thread, and want to try to limit this thread to being as much about sharing Covid-19 information as possible.

If you want to discuss the political aspects of Covid-19 with other SR members, you can do so here (If you are not already registered there, you will be required to do so)...
------------------
UPDATED TRACKER LINKS:

Last edited by a moderator:

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Here’s the thing
We've been theoretically been planning for this for years (maybe decades)
I guarantee there are reams of books and PhD dissertations detailing our transition from onsite/handson work and school to a plethora of options:
Work from home/distance learning
Hybrids
decentralized education

We’ve known automation and many other technological upheavals are on the horizon
We could have used this time to experiment with workable alternatives

But alas
No doubt. But, as usual, all that takes money. Money we don't seem willing to invest in education. It's almost like some people would rather that we have an uneducated populace.

Reaction score
When I heard one mask and tub of wipes. I wasn’t sure that I should cry or laugh. These past few years, we have bought supplies beyond what she got, we have bought a school bag for one kid, given many books and toys (most of the kids get nothing at home), and some organic candy. She lost her stipend from what she told me (I recall). I can tell my wife wants to quit badly but we would pinching pennies cause my daughter’s school isn’t cheap by any stretch.
My wife doesn’t know what’s worse, the virus or me being cheap arse.
Teachers get stipends? Don't feel bad for being cheap. I had a conversation with my wife on the subject. We would spend hundreds on supplies including ink/toner. I told my wife if the school can't afford to let you print on the MFCs, then stop printing.

livefromDC

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't call this humor so posting here: https://nypost.com/2020/08/03/obit-of-texas-man-who-died-of-covid-19-includes-ominous-warning/

Obituary of Texas man who died of COVID-19 includes ominous warning

The obituary of a Texas man who died of the coronavirus includes an ominous warning: “May Karma find you all.”

“Dave did everything he was supposed to do, but you did not,” the obit reads. “Shame on you and may Karma find you all!”

“Family members believe David’s death was needless,” it reads. “They blame his death and the deaths of all other innocent people, [he who must not be named], Abbott and all of the other politicians who did not take this pandemic seriously and were more concerned with their popularity and votes than lives.”
Also to blame, the obit adds, are “the many ignorant, self-centered and selfish people who refused to follow the advice of the medical professionals, believing their ‘right’ not to wear a mask was more important than killing innocent people.”

Last edited:

Rickboy

Nom Nom Nom Nom.. me hungry for a SuperBowl
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Just found out that in person schooling for our district has been pushed back from Aug 18 to the end of September.

We might be OK since I have in home therapy for my son. I can't imagine how other parents of special ed kids are going to deal with this. Remote learning for special ed just doesn't work.

Booker

All-Pro
Reaction score
So the local schools finally sent out "the plan" for returning to the classroom yesterday. They're splitting the kids alphabetically, with half to go Mondays and Tuesdays and the other half on Thursdays and Fridays, with the students working online the days they're not in school (Wednesdays everyone will be online so they can clean the schools). Everyone is supposed to wear masks and social distance while there, but it's not clear what they'll do for the lunch room. I still don't think it's clear what they plan to do once a student or teacher tests positive, either, but I have no doubt we'll get to find out.

0rion

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
So the local schools finally sent out "the plan" for returning to the classroom yesterday. They're splitting the kids alphabetically, with half to go Mondays and Tuesdays and the other half on Thursdays and Fridays, with the students working online the days they're not in school (Wednesdays everyone will be online so they can clean the schools). Everyone is supposed to wear masks and social distance while there, but it's not clear what they'll do for the lunch room. I still don't think it's clear what they plan to do once a student or teacher tests positive, either, but I have no doubt we'll get to find out.
That's the plan our district has also but they allow you to opt for full time VLA which we're doing. You have to commit to 9 weeks whichever way you decide. I figure let the other families be the guinea pigs for 9 weeks. I fully expect it to be a train wreck and by labor day everyone will be doing VLA but if for some reason there's a miracle between now and 9 weeks from now I'll reassess the kids going to class. Until then we'll keep being cautious.

Booker

All-Pro
Reaction score
That's the plan our district has also but they allow you to opt for full time VLA which we're doing. You have to commit to 9 weeks whichever way you decide. I figure let the other families be the guinea pigs for 9 weeks. I fully expect it to be a train wreck and by labor day everyone will be doing VLA but if for some reason there's a miracle between now and 9 weeks from now I'll reassess the kids going to class. Until then we'll keep being cautious.
The thing is, you can elect to go with online learning, but if you do you're not allowed to switch back. My understanding is that the online school will be taught by different teachers, so there is some logic to it, but it puts pressure on parents to let the kids go back to school.

Last edited:

gboudx

Not trusting a big butt and a smile since 1990.
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Well. I'm not worried about my kids going to school on August 24th anymore.

Because Georgia is going to get the entire nation shut down way before then.
Who will sue the school district first? The parents of kids wearing masks that get sick, or parents of those unmasked who get sick?

brandon8283

Probably a drive-by
Reaction score
Who will sue the school district first? The parents of kids wearing masks that get sick, or parents of those unmasked who get sick?
Won't matter. Executive orders granting immunity to districts already in place.

James Spader

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Teachers get stipends? Don't feel bad for being cheap. I had a conversation with my wife on the subject. We would spend hundreds on supplies including ink/toner. I told my wife if the school can't afford to let you print on the MFCs, then stop printing.
It was like $200 or something close to that.

mb504

Word.
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

someone

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The thing is, you can elect to go with online learning, but if you do you're not allowed to switch back. My understanding is that the online school will be taught by different teachers, so there is some logic to it, but it puts pressure on parents to let the kids go back to school.
It is already a huge feat to take the necessary precautions to attempt safe classroom learning of those that opt in. It would be impossible to adjust those on the fly to accommodate students trickling in every week or so as parents/kids decide to switch from online to in person.

I, too, believe it's a moot point as Georgia is about to become a major disaster and change plans across the nation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)

• Headlines

Top Bottom