COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (7 Viewers)

I can't see how they can blame US National political leaders, but I can see some people trying.

I think it's more about the shared border and a lot of the media/pop culture/news making it's way to the country through technological means. It's not really about political figures directly (Trump is very, very unpopular here and most people disregard him as stupid but don't disregard his power) but reather a mentality they see/hear from folks south of the border and thinking, 'well, hey, that makes sense to me'

Regarding the blood type, wouldn't it be easy to look at the deaths as well as those on ventilators and see what those blood types were? If they see a significantly lower percentage of people with O type in those numbers it would be pretty telling, and seems rather easy to do.
Blood type was not associated with risk of intubation or death in patients with COVID-19. Patients with blood types B and AB who received a test were more likely to test positive and blood type O was less likely to test positive. Rh+ patients were more likely to test positive.

I think it's more about the shared border and a lot of the media/pop culture/news making it's way to the country through technological means. It's not really about political figures directly (Trump is very, very unpopular here and most people disregard him as stupid but don't disregard his power) but reather a mentality they see/hear from folks south of the border and thinking, 'well, hey, that makes sense to me'
This is also the case in the UK (the media/pop culture/news bit, not the border bit). There's increasing numbers of people who are repeating the same nonsensical rhetoric that denies basic physics (cloth barriers reduce respiratory droplet spread) and substitute insane conspiracy theories (getting people to wear masks is a plot to control our minds*).

Weirdly, various singers seem to be getting in on the act. Ian Brown of the Stone Roses went off on Twitter, Noel Gallagher says he refuses to wear a mask and doesn't appear to grasp the basic concept of contagion, and Van Morrison is literally releasing protest songs about it.

Maybe part of it is people seeing substantial drops in their income, no immediate end to it, and seeing the idea that it's just a vast conspiracy that can be stopped by them ignoring it or shouting at it a bit as an attractive idea. But that doesn't stop the conspiracy theories being any less deluded or nonsensical.

*I did ask a couple of them how they feel about the plot to control our minds by making us stop our cars at red lights, but then it occurred to me they might start deliberately driving through red lights screaming "FREEDOM!" so maybe that's not the best approach.

From my point of view, Europe in general is handling the pandemic only relatively better than the US. Much of the approach still has the same fundamental flaws rooted in wishful thinking and a desire to minimise impact to the economy that's resulted in opening up to soon with a consequent rise in cases and, if anything, extended impact to the economy.

Every nation has broadly done the same things, getting people to work from home, providing support to those who can't, taking steps to reduce mixing socially, ramping up testing and tracing, enacting and communicating public health strategies to the public, etc. What differs most significantly is how promptly and the degree to which they've done those things. The nations which acted promptly and comprehensively unsurprisingly tend to do better than the ones which don't. Nations which dragged their feet, implemented inconsistent and varying policies, and undermine their own public health strategies even as they're attempting to enact them, they tend to do badly.

If you look at the UK's government dashboard - https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/ - you can easily pinpoint on the cases chart the exact point where lockdown measures were eased. There are naturally many factors at play, but the fundamental principle that the less opportunity you create for a virus to spread, the less it will spread, is true everywhere.

Now we've been pushing people to return to work and we've just re-opened schools, and our testing infrastructure is overwhelmed as cases increase rapidly, which has apparently come as a complete surprise to the people leading our approach. That's not good, is it.

I'd say we're still doing better than the US, but only relatively. We're not doing well. The same reluctance to recognise the reality of the situation is here, just not quite to the same degree.

From my point of view, Europe in general is handling the pandemic only relatively better than the US. Much of the approach still has the same fundamental flaws rooted in wishful thinking and a desire to minimise impact to the economy that's resulted in opening up to soon with a consequent rise in cases and, if anything, extended impact to the economy.

Every nation has broadly done the same things, getting people to work from home, providing support to those who can't, taking steps to reduce mixing socially, ramping up testing and tracing, enacting and communicating public health strategies to the public, etc. What differs most significantly is how promptly and the degree to which they've done those things. The nations which acted promptly and comprehensively unsurprisingly tend to do better than the ones which don't. Nations which dragged their feet, implemented inconsistent and varying policies, and undermine their own public health strategies even as they're attempting to enact them, they tend to do badly.

If you look at the UK's government dashboard - https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/ - you can easily pinpoint on the cases chart the exact point where lockdown measures were eased. There are naturally many factors at play, but the fundamental principle that the less opportunity you create for a virus to spread, the less it will spread, is true everywhere.

Now we've been pushing people to return to work and we've just re-opened schools, and our testing infrastructure is overwhelmed as cases increase rapidly, which has apparently come as a complete surprise to the people leading our approach. That's not good, is it.

I'd say we're still doing better than the US, but only relatively. We're not doing well. The same reluctance to recognise the reality of the situation is here, just not quite to the same degree.

I see Canada in virtually every line posted.

getting a grip on handling it and the at times lack of coherent organized response.

there was an npr short podcast thst had a scientist on and be talked about our random, arbitrary approach (relatively speaking). He used the metaphor of ants and pheromones. The ants release pheromones to track their own locAtion but if they arent organized they begin following their own and others in a circle and it becomes, literally, a death spiral.

they will walk until they drop dead because the can’t see a bigger picture. Our approach is too schizophrenic and lacks coherency. And so we will, he predicted, continue to spiral ourselves with no real idea about how to move past this.

interesting, if sobering

As it happens, here's a breaking example of how not to manage a pandemic from the UK:

This is the area I live and work in getting extra restrictions because our cases are rising rapidly. These are basically no households mixing particularly in private homes and gardens, table service only in pubs and restaurants, and entertainment venues closing at 10pm.

So that's something, better than nothing, yet pretty weak as it is, since to be sufficiently effective it relies on the transmission at homes and in pubs after 10pm being significant enough that it doesn't matter if transmission is continuing at work and schools and in pubs before 10pm. But the kicker is that they've announced these measure today for them to come in on Tuesday.

And while there are many sensible people living in this part of the world, there are also lots of people who, if you tell them on Friday that they can't go to each others' houses and to pubs past 10PM from Tuesday, will definitely spend the entire weekend before then getting blitzed at each others' houses and going on pub crawls, which is the exact opposite of what you want to happen.

Last edited:
As it happens, here's a breaking example of how not to manage a pandemic from the UK:

This is the area I live and work in getting extra restrictions because our cases are rising rapidly. These are basically no households mixing particularly in private homes and gardens, table service only in pubs and restaurants, and entertainment venues closing at 10pm.

So that's something, better than nothing, yet pretty weak as it is, since to be sufficiently effective it relies on the transmission at homes and in pubs after 10pm being significant enough that it doesn't matter if transmission is continuing at work and schools and in pubs before 10pm. But the kicker is that they've announced these measure today for them to come in on Tuesday.

And while there are many sensible people living in this part of the world, there are also lots of people who, if you tell them on Friday that they can't go to each others' houses and to pubs past 10PM from Tuesday, will definitely spend the entire weekend before then getting blitzed at each others' houses and going on pub crawls, which is the exact opposite of what you want to happen.

Do you have a mask mandate?

Texas is going to 75% capacity at places like retailers, restaurants, gyms, office buildings, amongst others, in cities where the local hospital has less than 15% of beds for Covid patients. Bars still not allowed, but elective surgeries can be scheduled. And nursing homes will allow 2 family representatives to have in-house visits, but only if they have tested negative in the previous 14 days and are trained in how to wear PPE.

Oh and Big Tex is wearing a mask despite the State Fair being cancelled. Some political pundits aren't happy about that. I guess it's an infringement on his rights since he's out in public and can easily socially distance 6'.

e80d1896-23e8-406e-805a-7dc76d22978c-large16x9_vlcsnap2020091618h04m10s793.png

is there something about Anglos? do we do this worse than other tribes?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom