COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (7 Viewers)

This is so typical America. "We think schools need to be open!" Okay there's some merit to that . . . but instead of focusing on what the risks are and being responsible about it, they instead downplay the risk because that doesn't fit their viewpoint. Being responsible is somehow giving in to your opponents - so we can't do that.

So freakin dumb.

I was watching some of that on wdsu this morning
JP teachers don’t have their supply stipend anymore?
And one of the teachers was saying that most PPE is on backorder
There is just no excuse to start this of all school years without basic supplies

School board administrators did not use the summer to plan wisely and it is showing.

School board administrators did not use the summer to plan wisely and it is showing.

To be fair, given the budgets that local school have, they had no room to add precautions and equipment for COVID protection into their budgets. It's part of the reason that they should just do distance learning until things are better under control or we have a vaccine.

Maybe there is a way to safely open schools but it will take a lot of money to do so and the Feds seem to have no plans to help local school districts and/or private schools pay those costs. And they are costs for which the schools do not have the money. But, instead of distance learning or giving them the money necessary, our "leaders" have chosen to just stick their heads in the sand and count on junk science that says kids can't spread COVID.

To be fair, given the budgets that local school have, they had no room to add precautions and equipment for COVID protection into their budgets. It's part of the reason that they should just do distance learning until things are better under control or we have a vaccine.

Maybe there is a way to safely open schools but it will take a lot of money to do so and the Feds seem to have no plans to help local school districts and/or private schools pay those costs. And they are costs for which the schools do not have the money. But, instead of distance learning or giving them the money necessary, our "leaders" have chosen to just stick their heads in the sand and count on junk science that says kids can't spread COVID.
Here’s the thing
We've been theoretically been planning for this for years (maybe decades)
I guarantee there are reams of books and PhD dissertations detailing our transition from onsite/handson work and school to a plethora of options:
Work from home/distance learning
Hybrids
decentralized education

We’ve known automation and many other technological upheavals are on the horizon
We could have used this time to experiment with workable alternatives

But alas

And they gave their phones out
Betcha some are even chewing gum

Or wiping their noses and putting its contents on random surfaces, or wiping their eyes and ears before dapping up a friend, or coughing/sneezing without covering their mouths, or not washing their hands after using the bathroom, or coughing on each other on purpose as a joke, or any of the other disgusting things most children (and some adults) are prone to doing.

Or wiping their noses and putting its contents on random surfaces, or wiping their eyes and ears before dapping up a friend, or coughing/sneezing without covering their mouths, or not washing their hands after using the bathroom, or coughing on each other on purpose as a joke, or any of the other disgusting things most children (and some adults) are prone to doing.
Pretty sure there will be a ‘cough in my mouth’ challenge in tik tok in the next week or so

So it’s a total you know what show from what my wife tells me for J.P. school system. They are given only one mask and one tub of disinfect wipes. Oh, impossible to have 6 ft distance between students and teacher. My wife has to buy her own face shield too. Anyone else involved with the school system? Curious to hear about stories, my wife is really stressing out.

My wife teaches 5th in our school district. I'll post some numbers below and a link for anyone that wants to see the latest communication we received yesterday.

PPE ItemRISD Allotment
Total Disposable Masks149,872
Student Size Disposable Masks (30% of total)44,961
Adult Size Disposable Masks (70% of total)104,091
Total Reusable Masks37,468
Student Size Reusable Masks (30% of total)10,408
Adult Size Reusable Masks (70% of total)27,059
Total Adult Size Face Shields1,727
Total Gloves58,718
Total Touchless Thermometers124
Total Hand Sanitizer (Gallons)1,764

Here’s the thing
We've been theoretically been planning for this for years (maybe decades)
I guarantee there are reams of books and PhD dissertations detailing our transition from onsite/handson work and school to a plethora of options:
Work from home/distance learning
Hybrids
decentralized education

We’ve known automation and many other technological upheavals are on the horizon
We could have used this time to experiment with workable alternatives

But alas

No doubt. But, as usual, all that takes money. Money we don't seem willing to invest in education. It's almost like some people would rather that we have an uneducated populace.

When I heard one mask and tub of wipes. I wasn’t sure that I should cry or laugh. These past few years, we have bought supplies beyond what she got, we have bought a school bag for one kid, given many books and toys (most of the kids get nothing at home), and some organic candy. She lost her stipend from what she told me (I recall). I can tell my wife wants to quit badly but we would pinching pennies cause my daughter’s school isn’t cheap by any stretch.
My wife doesn’t know what’s worse, the virus or me being cheap arse.

Teachers get stipends? Don't feel bad for being cheap. I had a conversation with my wife on the subject. We would spend hundreds on supplies including ink/toner. I told my wife if the school can't afford to let you print on the MFCs, then stop printing.

Wouldn't call this humor so posting here: https://nypost.com/2020/08/03/obit-of-texas-man-who-died-of-covid-19-includes-ominous-warning/

Obituary of Texas man who died of COVID-19 includes ominous warning

The obituary of a Texas man who died of the coronavirus includes an ominous warning: “May Karma find you all.”

“Dave did everything he was supposed to do, but you did not,” the obit reads. “Shame on you and may Karma find you all!”

“Family members believe David’s death was needless,” it reads. “They blame his death and the deaths of all other innocent people, [he who must not be named], Abbott and all of the other politicians who did not take this pandemic seriously and were more concerned with their popularity and votes than lives.”
Also to blame, the obit adds, are “the many ignorant, self-centered and selfish people who refused to follow the advice of the medical professionals, believing their ‘right’ not to wear a mask was more important than killing innocent people.”

Last edited:
Just found out that in person schooling for our district has been pushed back from Aug 18 to the end of September.

We might be OK since I have in home therapy for my son. I can't imagine how other parents of special ed kids are going to deal with this. Remote learning for special ed just doesn't work.

So the local schools finally sent out "the plan" for returning to the classroom yesterday. They're splitting the kids alphabetically, with half to go Mondays and Tuesdays and the other half on Thursdays and Fridays, with the students working online the days they're not in school (Wednesdays everyone will be online so they can clean the schools). Everyone is supposed to wear masks and social distance while there, but it's not clear what they'll do for the lunch room. I still don't think it's clear what they plan to do once a student or teacher tests positive, either, but I have no doubt we'll get to find out.

So the local schools finally sent out "the plan" for returning to the classroom yesterday. They're splitting the kids alphabetically, with half to go Mondays and Tuesdays and the other half on Thursdays and Fridays, with the students working online the days they're not in school (Wednesdays everyone will be online so they can clean the schools). Everyone is supposed to wear masks and social distance while there, but it's not clear what they'll do for the lunch room. I still don't think it's clear what they plan to do once a student or teacher tests positive, either, but I have no doubt we'll get to find out.
That's the plan our district has also but they allow you to opt for full time VLA which we're doing. You have to commit to 9 weeks whichever way you decide. I figure let the other families be the guinea pigs for 9 weeks. I fully expect it to be a train wreck and by labor day everyone will be doing VLA but if for some reason there's a miracle between now and 9 weeks from now I'll reassess the kids going to class. Until then we'll keep being cautious.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom