COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (17 Viewers)

Ok I understand that one. It looks like cases by day are finally edging down, but this wave of death is maybe only starting the halfway point, and bound to get worse. I think I have it now. Or I’m utterly confused. Either is possible. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Is it really edging down though or are other things at play?

Ed9E038XgAI-mkQ.jpg

Man, you can't escape the pandemic even by watching Law and Order reruns. Just finished the one that was about the woman who was a scientific researcher who was found murdered with a vial of SARS (you know which one I'm talking about) in the trunk of her car. They totally freaked out because a couple dozen people ended up getting infected and treated successfully. Imagine if the episode were made recently and the vial in her trunk contained COVID-19.
I would also postpone watching certain films until we get a handle on this. I'm thinking "Panic in the Streets" and "The Seventh Seal," to name a couple of examples. It is good for one's mental health to take a break from the news in my view and watch some good escapist fare. It depends on whether you can immerse yourself in the world of the flick for a while.

Excellent article and I’ve never hear the term “hygiene theater” before

Sorry if it’s been posted already

It kind of reminds me a bit of the half-arsed, split second bag check that security does when you go to an amusement park
==========================
As a covid-19 summer surge sweeps the country, deep cleans are all the rage.

National restaurants such as Applebee’s are deputizing sanitation czars to oversee the constant scrubbing of window ledges, menus, and high chairs.

The gym chain Planet Fitness is boasting in ads that “there’s no surface we won’t sanitize, no machine we won’t scrub.” New York City is shutting down its subway system every night, for the first time in its 116-year history, to blast the seats, walls, and poles with a variety of antiseptic weaponry, including electrostatic disinfectant sprays.

And in Wauchula, Florida, the local government gave one resident permission to spray the town with hydrogen peroxide as he saw fit. “I think every city in the damn United States needs to be doing it," he said..........

COVID-19 has reawakened America’s spirit of misdirected anxiety, inspiring businesses and families to obsess over risk-reduction rituals that make us feel safer but don’t actually do much to reduce risk—even as more dangerous activities are still allowed. This is hygiene theater.

Scientists still don’t have a perfect grip on COVID-19—they don’t know where exactly it came from, how exactly to treat it, or how long immunity lasts.

But in the past few months, scientists have converged on a theory of how this disease travels: via air. The disease typically spreads among people through large droplets expelled in sneezes and coughs, or through smaller aerosolized droplets, as from conversations, during which saliva spray can linger in the air........

Finally, and most important, hygiene theater builds a false sense of security, which can ironically lead to more infections. Many bars, indoor restaurants, and gyms, where patrons are huffing and puffing one another’s stale air, shouldn’t be open at all.

They should be shut down and bailed out by the government until the pandemic is under control. No amount of soap and bleach changes this calculation..........

Excellent article and I’ve never hear the term “hygiene theater” before

Sorry if it’s been posted already

It kind of reminds me a bit of the half-arsed, split second bag check that security does when you go to an amusement park
==========================
As a covid-19 summer surge sweeps the country, deep cleans are all the rage.

National restaurants such as Applebee’s are deputizing sanitation czars to oversee the constant scrubbing of window ledges, menus, and high chairs.

The gym chain Planet Fitness is boasting in ads that “there’s no surface we won’t sanitize, no machine we won’t scrub.” New York City is shutting down its subway system every night, for the first time in its 116-year history, to blast the seats, walls, and poles with a variety of antiseptic weaponry, including electrostatic disinfectant sprays.

And in Wauchula, Florida, the local government gave one resident permission to spray the town with hydrogen peroxide as he saw fit. “I think every city in the damn United States needs to be doing it," he said..........

COVID-19 has reawakened America’s spirit of misdirected anxiety, inspiring businesses and families to obsess over risk-reduction rituals that make us feel safer but don’t actually do much to reduce risk—even as more dangerous activities are still allowed. This is hygiene theater.

Scientists still don’t have a perfect grip on COVID-19—they don’t know where exactly it came from, how exactly to treat it, or how long immunity lasts.

But in the past few months, scientists have converged on a theory of how this disease travels: via air. The disease typically spreads among people through large droplets expelled in sneezes and coughs, or through smaller aerosolized droplets, as from conversations, during which saliva spray can linger in the air........

Finally, and most important, hygiene theater builds a false sense of security, which can ironically lead to more infections. Many bars, indoor restaurants, and gyms, where patrons are huffing and puffing one another’s stale air, shouldn’t be open at all.

They should be shut down and bailed out by the government until the pandemic is under control. No amount of soap and bleach changes this calculation..........

I had a conversation that was basically the content of this article with my mom yesterday because she goes swimming at a gym multiple times a week. She ran down the list of sterilizing that they do multiple times a day but had no answer for what they're doing about the possibly infected air.

I would also postpone watching certain films until we get a handle on this. I'm thinking "Panic in the Streets" and "The Seventh Seal," to name a couple of examples. It is good for one's mental health to take a break from the news in my view and watch some good escapist fare. It depends on whether you can immerse yourself in the world of the flick for a while.

Yeah imma watch "Soylent Green" tonight, or maybe the original "Planet of the Apes."

A problem I'm having with all movies and tv right now is that inevitably there is a scene shot in a crowded bar or a packed subway car or a concert and I'm like "GET OUT OF THERE! THE CORONA!" Takes me right out of whatever I'm watching.

The lack of social distancing in pre-Covid life has me rattled.

Yeah. I dunno what to say about California. Unfortunately it’s in the packing houses and slaughterhouses. With food packing being huge in this state, it’s driving a lot of it, and then spreads within the communities that work there and are relatively tightly put together. I can also assure you that with talking with people who live and work in those communities that cases count is way low.

A problem I'm having with all movies and tv right now is that inevitably there is a scene shot in a crowded bar or a packed subway car or a concert and I'm like "GET OUT OF THERE! THE CORONA!" Takes me right out of whatever I'm watching.

The lack of social distancing in pre-Covid life has me rattled.

Same

I had a conversation that was basically the content of this article with my mom yesterday because she goes swimming at a gym multiple times a week. She ran down the list of sterilizing that they do multiple times a day but had no answer for what they're doing about the possibly infected air.
I doubt swimming pools are unsafe. Even if people breathe out in a pool, their air is very close to the surface, so it would drop into the pool pretty quickly. I read the theory about why kids under 10 are poor spreaders is also because they are very close to the ground. Although the virus may linger longer in indoor air, I believe it still drops to the ground.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom