COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [8.288M US cases, 223,644 US deaths.] (11 Viewers)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
The original COVID-19 Outbreak thread has been closed but is still available as a read-only thread (sticky above). The original thread had become less and less about new information and more about petty bickering. The purpose of this new thread is to link or report new information as it comes out. Try not to go off course from the topic. Those of you who had been banned from the original thread feel free to participate in this new thread. Just stay on topic. Thank you.
-----------------
Edit - Andrus:
Bottom line is that moving forward we simply don't want any political bickering going on within this thread, and want to try to limit this thread to being as much about sharing Covid-19 information as possible.

If you want to discuss the political aspects of Covid-19 with other SR members, you can do so here (If you are not already registered there, you will be required to do so)...
------------------
UPDATED TRACKER LINKS:

Last edited by a moderator:

Saint by the Bay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
So a quick look through this list it seems only Oregon and Hawaii still have some pretty tough restrictions in place, but neither state is in lockdown.

It feels like we are fighting against something that hasn't been in place for months. It's like going on the Senate floor and calling for a proclamation condemning the actions and calling for an end to the Ottoman Empire.

Saint by the Bay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think we ever really had a true "lockdown" anywhere other than maybe parts of NYC.

To some people, a local mask mandate is a "lockdown".
NYC and many places in Europe did have very strict lockdowns. So did parts of Asia (China, S. Korea). It ended in all those places months ago.

Once again, I'm not being facetious. I really don't understand what lockdowns are being referred to now.

Arathrael

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Ah yes, the letter signed by such medical luminaries as "Dr. Johnny Bananas" and "Dr. Person Fakename" , not to mention the esteemed "Dr. I.P. Freely" (https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...atories-on-herd-immunity-open-letter-12099947).

On the other hand, we have this: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)32153-X/fulltext

A scientific response, published in the Lancet, signed by more than 80 biomedical experts, and subsequently signed on to by more than 2,500 actual, verified, scientists, researchers and healthcare professionals so far (https://www.johnsnowmemo.com/). It's well worth reading.

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
That’s really quite telling. I flew Delta (empty middle seat in every row) to MT for a fishing trip last month, very serious about mask etiquette, FA’s more than once instructed folks to wear mask properly, they almost kicked an older MAGA hat wearing guy off the plane but he finally complied.

My return flight was United, packed in like sardines, I will never fly United again....and I don’t think any study done for airline safety where the airline is a participant is worth the paper it is written on....

Mr. Sparkle

Disrespectful to dirt
Reaction score
[
NYC and many places in Europe did have very strict lockdowns. So did parts of Asia (China, S. Korea). It ended in all those places months ago.

Once again, I'm not being facetious. I really don't understand what lockdowns are being referred to now.
Quite a few college campuses are being run like its Wuhan last January. Strict size gatherings, no dining hall, everything online, disciplinary action for covid 'violations' - its insane.

Then there's LSU where entire dorms are infected but not reporting it to anyone because they dont want to jeopardize football season lol

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Wait, wait, wait.....a study about airplane safety in partnership with an airline? And they're saying, "Everything is A Ok!" I trust that about as much as a study from McDonald's saying that their food is absolutely healthy for you.
Yeah, maybe the study is good, but I'm going to need to see the study and the protocols before I'm willing to believe it. On the surface it seems odd that the only used one maequine on the plane. But, I'd need more details.

J.T.

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
San Francisco, via La Place, via Galliano, via Mon
Yeah, maybe the study is good, but I'm going to need to see the study and the protocols before I'm willing to believe it. On the surface it seems odd that the only used one maequine on the plane. But, I'd need more details.
I rather Otto Pilot from Airplane.

Saint by the Bay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
[

Quite a few college campuses are being run like its Wuhan last January. Strict size gatherings, no dining hall, everything online, disciplinary action for covid 'violations' - its insane.

Then there's LSU where entire dorms are infected but not reporting it to anyone because they dont want to jeopardize football season lol
So is that what we think they are referring to as lockdown? I wouldn't consider it a lockdown. In Wuhan you couldn't leave your home. They are away from home, in dorms but things are structured in a way to prevent super spreader events so the school can remain open. I wouldn't call "do your thing, just with less than x number of people at a time" a lockdown.

I do think the penalties I'm hearing about are draconian and I wonder if some of that would withstand a legal challenge.

J.T.

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
San Francisco, via La Place, via Galliano, via Mon
While some aspects of this make sense, like super protecting the most vulnerable, we are nowhere near herd immunity in the USA. We are probably in the 18-20% range right now. The estimates of what you need for herd immunity for this virus are all over the place, usually they are between 60-80%. Our total rate now of maybe 20%, means we are, at best, 1/3 or the way there. Do we need another 500,000 dead to get there? That is crazy talk. OK, so we protect the most vulnerable, keep the death count going forward to what, another 200,000? Not sure where the final number will wind up, but it is more than now and likely less than a million. That is a very big range. Keeping it lower is better. Masks, distancing, cleaning and getting a good vaccine, or two or three, and then we can escape this mess. Until then, it will continue to be bad.

" Total Infected (as of Oct 4): 16.1% (1 in 6) " It is probably closer to 18-20% now.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So is that what we think they are referring to as lockdown? I wouldn't consider it a lockdown. In Wuhan you couldn't leave your home. They are away from home, in dorms but things are structured in a way to prevent super spreader events so the school can remain open. I wouldn't call "do your thing, just with less than x number of people at a time" a lockdown.

I do think the penalties I'm hearing about are draconian and I wonder if some of that would withstand a legal challenge.
Yeah, my daughter is currently at JMU where in Virginia, and basically, if you're caught hosting a large gathering, you not only get kicked out, but they're won't refund tuition and room/board. That's a lot of $$$.

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
While some aspects of this make sense, like super protecting the most vulnerable, we are nowhere near herd immunity in the USA. We are probably in the 18-20% range right now. The estimates of what you need for herd immunity for this virus are all over the place, usually they are between 60-80%. Our total rate now of maybe 20%, means we are, at best, 1/3 or the way there. Do we need another 500,000 dead to get there? That is crazy talk. OK, so we protect the most vulnerable, keep the death count going forward to what, another 200,000? Not sure where the final number will wind up, but it is more than now and likely less than a million. That is a very big range. Keeping it lower is better. Masks, distancing, cleaning and getting a good vaccine, or two or three, and then we can escape this mess. Until then, it will continue to be bad.

" Total Infected (as of Oct 4): 16.1% (1 in 6) " It is probably closer to 18-20% now.

The more people that are walking around infected, the more difficult it is to protect the highly vulnerable.

(I am agreeing with you, in case that isn’t clear)

where yat brah

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Gulf Breeze, FL via NOLA via Donaldsonville/Frankl
Just what exactly is involved in "super protecting the vulnerable?"

Hard lockdowns of all nursing home and ALF's? Don't let these people have visitors? Leave them to die in their communal homes and not let them go anywhere and go bananas? Put anybody on chemo, overweight people or those with autoimmune deficiency into "camps?"

Seems draconian and rather cruel as opposed to returning to some semblance of normalcy save the great "inconvenience" of putting on a mask a few minutes a day when the situation arises.

Mr. Sparkle

Disrespectful to dirt
Reaction score
Yeah, my daughter is currently at JMU where in Virginia, and basically, if you're caught hosting a large gathering, you not only get kicked out, but they're won't refund tuition and room/board. That's a lot of $$$.
Its for a different thread but these policies are so backward it makes me crazy. Should never have brought any kids to campus if your plan is to tell them "Don't socialize" and then punish them when they (inevitably) do - and of course they're creating incentives for kids to leave campus to escape the rules and then bring the virus back.... stupid.

Saint by the Bay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Its for a different thread but these policies are so backward it makes me crazy. Should never have brought any kids to campus if your plan is to tell them "Don't socialize" and then punish them when they (inevitably) do - and of course they're creating incentives for kids to leave campus to escape the rules and then bring the virus back.... stupid.
It's almost like they were just concerned with getting the tuitions in and not with the outcome of the situation. :cautious:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)

Headlines

Top Bottom