COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [8.288M US cases, 223,644 US deaths.] (6 Viewers)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
The original COVID-19 Outbreak thread has been closed but is still available as a read-only thread (sticky above). The original thread had become less and less about new information and more about petty bickering. The purpose of this new thread is to link or report new information as it comes out. Try not to go off course from the topic. Those of you who had been banned from the original thread feel free to participate in this new thread. Just stay on topic. Thank you.
-----------------
Edit - Andrus:
Bottom line is that moving forward we simply don't want any political bickering going on within this thread, and want to try to limit this thread to being as much about sharing Covid-19 information as possible.

If you want to discuss the political aspects of Covid-19 with other SR members, you can do so here (If you are not already registered there, you will be required to do so)...
------------------
UPDATED TRACKER LINKS:

Last edited by a moderator:

J.T.

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
San Francisco, via La Place, via Galliano, via Mon
Just what exactly is involved in "super protecting the vulnerable?"

Hard lockdowns of all nursing home and ALF's? Don't let these people have visitors? Leave them to die in their communal homes and not let them go anywhere and go bananas? Put anybody on chemo, overweight people or those with autoimmune deficiency into "camps?"

Seems draconian and rather cruel as opposed to returning to some semblance of normalcy save the great "inconvenience" of putting on a mask a few minutes a day when the situation arises.
I agree with much of this, it is very difficult for families. The hardest are those in hospitals and nursing homes. I am "responsible" for two people in my family at high risk. I have not been within ten feet of anybody, who is not living in my household, without a mask since late March. Rapid testing of all visitors of people in nursing homes and hospitals and some distancing and good ventilation could work. I don't have any relatives currently in nursing homes or ALF's who live nearby, they all died before the virus hit, but this is very hard on those people impacted by this.

Much has been done on this issue. Does anybody have any direct stories or info on these types of facilities recently? What is being done, right or wrong?

I'm not sure putting a mask on a few minutes a day will end this mess. I read, that even in Germany, they are having massive push back on "lockdowns" going forward.

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's almost like they were just concerned with getting the tuitions in and not with the outcome of the situation. :cautious:
There is a lot of that going around with people willing to sacrifice lives based on a bet that we can suddenly fix the economy by letting people go to football games and lifting what few restrictions are actually left.

As usual in our world, money is a major consideration in everything that is done.

Doug B

Fanaticus Sanctii
Reaction score
The more people that are walking around infected, the more difficult it is to protect the highly vulnerable.
The overbearing problem with "protect the vulnerable" is that "the vulnerable" is a huge block of people -- perhaps the majority of American adults (yes, even 20-somethings). Some talk like it's only a small number of the elderly that have to avoid COVID-19.

So, who are "the vulnerable"? How are they counted? I read someone on another board say that counting the obese, those with hypertension, cancer survivors, asthmatics, immunodepressed persons, etc. among "the vulnerable" was being disingenous. As if it were this tiny slice of "old people" and every other single person under 60 could live and do as if it were 2019 with nary a real risk. Maybe a "get struck by lightning on a clear day" risk, or a "get hit on the head by a meteorite" risk.

Doug B

Fanaticus Sanctii
Reaction score
Put anybody on chemo, overweight people or those with autoimmune deficiency into "camps?"
Many believe that "the young" (usually meaning under-60 or under-50), even with these conditions, are pretty close to 100% COVID-safe. Maybe 1 in a thousand suffers or expires, and those odds are totally worth it to hear some tell it.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Its for a different thread but these policies are so backward it makes me crazy. Should never have brought any kids to campus if your plan is to tell them "Don't socialize" and then punish them when they (inevitably) do - and of course they're creating incentives for kids to leave campus to escape the rules and then bring the virus back.... stupid.
Oh, no doubt. The school wants their money, and the right thing would have been for them to do distance learning. But no. Aggravating that my daughter has to deal with all of that, but it is what it is. She's managed to not get infected yet even though she's a RA in one of the dorms.

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
China has issued emergency authorization for a vaccine to give to students traveling to the USA. The irony in a Chinese student having to fly to Wuhan to get a vaccine to make it safe for them to fly to the USA is quite thick.

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Many believe that "the young" (usually meaning under-60 or under-50), even with these conditions, are pretty close to 100% COVID-safe. Maybe 1 in a thousand suffers or expires, and those odds are totally worth it to hear some tell it.
It's the whole one death is a tragedy and 215,000 deaths is a statistic problem.

Many people look at this in terms of what does it mean for me? If they don't think they or their family are at risk, they don't care unless someone close to them got severly ill or died. For some people, until it becomes personal, they just aren't going to care and their calculus will always see economics and quality of life as more important than the death of someone they don't know or even the deaths of 215,000 people that they don't know. Because those people are just statistics. They are just numbers that don't mean anything real to them.

Reaction score
China has issued emergency authorization for a vaccine to give to students traveling to the USA. The irony in a Chinese student having to fly to Wuhan to get a vaccine to make it safe for them to fly to the USA is quite thick.
Why is China worrying about vaccines if they aren't spreading it? 24 cases yesterday out of 1,390,000,000.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's the whole one death is a tragedy and 215,000 deaths is a statistic problem.

Many people look at this in terms of what does it mean for me? If they don't think they or their family are at risk, they don't care unless someone close to them got severly ill or died. For some people, until it becomes personal, they just aren't going to care and their calculus will always see economics and quality of life as more important than the death of someone they don't know or even the deaths of 215,000 people that they don't know. Because those people are just statistics. They are just numbers that don't mean anything real to them.
Yeah, the lack of empathy by so many people is downright disturbing. What the hell happened to sacrificing a little for the benefit of those around us? Meh.

bclemms

Reaction score
Why is China worrying about vaccines if they aren't spreading it? 24 cases yesterday out of 1,390,000,000.
Probably the same reason the US has Trillions of dollars in anti missle defense systems even though nobody is shooting at us.

bclemms

Reaction score
Because China is controlled by the Military Industrial Complex? :)
Obviously it's a preventative measure and probably even more important to the Chinese is the prestige of having vaccines and the ability to produce and distribute them globally at huge financial gains but your response is even better.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So, south Florida has been pretty good about masks, as they have been mandatory for a while.

I was in a gas station getting windshield washer solution. A road worker (state, local, contractor?) Comes in without a mask on. Immediately he is told, "sir, where is your mask"

"But I'm wearing a shirt."

Silence and glares

"You telling me there's a difference"

Walks out.

Me, in my head... do you breath through your damn skin?

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Do most of you feel the US should try a lockdown?
I want to give this a better answer when I can get on a computer.

No.

Locally, areas like Wisconsin might want to consider it.

However, i wanted to see, and still want to see a much stronger coordinated federal response.

I'll flesh this out later.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)

Headlines

Top Bottom