COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (7 Viewers)

Looks like third week of November now for Pfizer. They may have efficacy data by the end of October, but need more time to gather enough safety and manufacturing data to apply for approval. FDA came out with new guidelines very recently. That probably had an impact. So long as it works and is safe, need some vaccines out there soon. The spike in cases in the USA and Europe is real and steep.

Pfizer Says It Won’t Seek Vaccine Authorization Before Mid-November
"Friday’s announcement represents a shift in tone for the company and its leader, who has repeatedly emphasized the month of October in interviews and public appearances.

In a statement posted to the company website, the chief executive, Dr. Albert Bourla, said that although Pfizer could have preliminary numbers by the end of October about whether the vaccine works, it would still need to collect safety and manufacturing data that will stretch the timeline to at least the third week of November."

Risk of COVID-19 exposure on planes 'virtually nonexistent' when masked, study shows
It was conducted by the Department of Defense and United Airlines.

"United Airlines says the risk of COVID-19 exposure onboard its aircraft is "virtually non-existent" after a new study finds that when masks are worn there is only a 0.003% chance particles from a passenger can enter the passenger's breathing space who is sitting beside them.

The study, conducted by the Department of Defense in partnership with United Airlines, was published Thursday. They ran 300 tests in a little over six months with a mannequin on a United plane."
First off, masks have to be worn in this study, also, planes actually circulate and filter air quite well. And third, and most importantly.....once I start flying again, can I request seats next to a couple of mannequins?

Risk of COVID-19 exposure on planes 'virtually nonexistent' when masked, study shows

"United Airlines says the risk of COVID-19 exposure onboard its aircraft is "virtually non-existent" after a new study finds that when masks are worn there is only a 0.003% chance particles from a passenger can enter the passenger's breathing space who is sitting beside them.

The study, conducted by the Department of Defense in partnership with United Airlines, was published Thursday. They ran 300 tests in a little over six months with a mannequin on a United plane."
First off, masks have to be worn in this study, also, planes actually circulate and filter air quite well. And third, and most importantly.....once I start flying again, can I request seats next to a couple of mannequins?
Wait, wait, wait.....a study about airplane safety in partnership with an airline? And they're saying, "Everything is A Ok!" I trust that about as much as a study from McDonald's saying that their food is absolutely healthy for you.

Looks like third week of November now for Pfizer. They may have efficacy data by the end of October, but need more time to gather enough safety and manufacturing data to apply for approval. FDA came out with new guidelines very recently. That probably had an impact. So long as it works and is safe, need some vaccines out there soon. The spike in cases in the USA and Europe is real and steep.

Pfizer Says It Won’t Seek Vaccine Authorization Before Mid-November
"Friday’s announcement represents a shift in tone for the company and its leader, who has repeatedly emphasized the month of October in interviews and public appearances.

In a statement posted to the company website, the chief executive, Dr. Albert Bourla, said that although Pfizer could have preliminary numbers by the end of October about whether the vaccine works, it would still need to collect safety and manufacturing data that will stretch the timeline to at least the third week of November."

Pfizer is one of the few that has not paused their study. J&J and AstraZeneca both had vaccine pauses. Eli Lilly’s antibody treatment was also paused. It seems to me that Pfizer could be first to the market for an approved vaccine.

I've flown 5 or 6 times during COVID - planes and airports are still the only places where I've seen 100% mask usage. I flew again this week and the flight attendant passing through the aisle made the woman next to me pull her mask up over her nose. I think its safe to fly IMO.

So, I'm genuinely curious. Where are these lockdowns happening at? I know a lot of places still have some businesses like bars closed. As far as I know, pretty much everywhere has the option for in-person school now, but are offering online for those that want to do it. Restaurants are open with capacity limitations, which is a joke because the limitation is building capacity not seating capacity.

I'm not being facetious. I'm really not aware of any "lockdowns" and haven't been for months now. Am I missing something?

So a quick look through this list it seems only Oregon and Hawaii still have some pretty tough restrictions in place, but neither state is in lockdown.

It feels like we are fighting against something that hasn't been in place for months. It's like going on the Senate floor and calling for a proclamation condemning the actions and calling for an end to the Ottoman Empire.

I don't think we ever really had a true "lockdown" anywhere other than maybe parts of NYC.

To some people, a local mask mandate is a "lockdown".

NYC and many places in Europe did have very strict lockdowns. So did parts of Asia (China, S. Korea). It ended in all those places months ago.

Once again, I'm not being facetious. I really don't understand what lockdowns are being referred to now.

Ah yes, the letter signed by such medical luminaries as "Dr. Johnny Bananas" and "Dr. Person Fakename" , not to mention the esteemed "Dr. I.P. Freely" (https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...atories-on-herd-immunity-open-letter-12099947).

On the other hand, we have this: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)32153-X/fulltext

A scientific response, published in the Lancet, signed by more than 80 biomedical experts, and subsequently signed on to by more than 2,500 actual, verified, scientists, researchers and healthcare professionals so far (https://www.johnsnowmemo.com/). It's well worth reading.

That’s really quite telling. I flew Delta (empty middle seat in every row) to MT for a fishing trip last month, very serious about mask etiquette, FA’s more than once instructed folks to wear mask properly, they almost kicked an older MAGA hat wearing guy off the plane but he finally complied.

My return flight was United, packed in like sardines, I will never fly United again....and I don’t think any study done for airline safety where the airline is a participant is worth the paper it is written on....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom