COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (25 Viewers)

Is you crazy?
Got word today that boat will only be about half full. Everybody must show negative PCR test less than 48 hours prior to getting on boat and again rapid test at the pier.
And again before getting off the boat
Vaccines are mandatory for crew and all passengers, no exceptions.
Masks mandatory indoors

I feel more comfortable going on this cruise than going to a restaurant.

This. I'm working under the assumption it will be. It's why I don't think the mandates should go away just yet. Get through the peak of this wave and get more answers. However, Omicron is so contagious I'm not sure any mitigation efforts are going to make much difference. Like I said a couple of weeks ago, Omicron is far more contagious than anyone was possibly understanding. It took Delta 6 months to do what Omicron did in a month. So with mitigation efforts having little to no impact both from a standpoint of people not listening and contagion level the long covid numbers would have to be staggering to even keep existing measures in place.

If Omicron is less likely to produce long covid then I want Omicron to burn though as much of the population as possible and want this wave to last as long as possible to try and kick out delta. Honestly, I'm getting to the point where I don't know anyone that is unvaccinated and hasn't had it at least once. Hell, I don't know many people that have been vaccinated and haven't had covid.
Hard to say if mitigation efforts have or haven't had an affect.

I'll just use Florida as an example. We were at an all time low of cases. Most people were letting their guard down. At work, we could be maskless. I still used my masks at the stores, but clearly, less were doing it. And, we now went out to eat, the movies, etc. I wasn't fully out in public yet, but I was a lot more. I'm very guarded about this and I was getting lax. My wife is far more lax than I am. She's sort of in that, I'm over this stuff and I'm vaccinated, so why am I afraid camp. I don't fault her.

Then, Thanksgiving comes, then Omicron comes, we had concerts, events, etc. People were getting back to normal. Then boom, boom, boom, Christmas time, holy boom!

Mitigation efforts really haven't had a chance and were far too late. By the time we closed down travel, it was likely already here, and that's why you saw every major city spike. Every international hub, etc.

the North/midwest is getting a real double whammy, since they were dealing with Delta since about October, finally got through that, but not all the way, then Hello Omicron.

Look at Michigan's numbers.

1641522023740.png

Here's Florida. the tiny blip during our low point was thanksgiving. then about 2 weeks later, boom.

1641522166455.png

It's hard to tell, but it began in South Florida just a touch before the rest. So, Miami. And, we were only reporting like weekly. So, fidelity on the start time is lacking.

1641522252458.png

Then you have Duvall county - Jacksonville, FL, where it didn't really pick up until christmas. So, a slight lag, since their airport isn't as busy as Miami and Hollywood/Ft. Lauderdale.

1641522356550.png

You'll see similar behavior in Houston and Dallas in Texas, then it spreads through the state, because of the Holidays. The south got hit during all time lows, and people mostly over Covid.

New York is pretty much all NYC. I mean, per capita, it's now all over, but NYC is driving the numbers by an order of magnitude. And it's all the lead up to Christmas.

And I need to mention that Hanukkah was kind of early this past year, it was Nov 28 to Dec 6. So, lots of gatherings.

Hard to say if mitigation efforts have or haven't had an affect.

I'll just use Florida as an example. We were at an all time low of cases. Most people were letting their guard down. At work, we could be maskless. I still used my masks at the stores, but clearly, less were doing it. And, we now went out to eat, the movies, etc. I wasn't fully out in public yet, but I was a lot more. I'm very guarded about this and I was getting lax. My wife is far more lax than I am. She's sort of in that, I'm over this stuff and I'm vaccinated, so why am I afraid camp. I don't fault her.

Then, Thanksgiving comes, then Omicron comes, we had concerts, events, etc. People were getting back to normal. Then boom, boom, boom, Christmas time, holy boom!

Mitigation efforts really haven't had a chance and were far too late. By the time we closed down travel, it was likely already here, and that's why you saw every major city spike. Every international hub, etc.

the North/midwest is getting a real double whammy, since they were dealing with Delta since about October, finally got through that, but not all the way, then Hello Omicron.

Look at Michigan's numbers.

1641522023740.png

Here's Florida. the tiny blip during our low point was thanksgiving. then about 2 weeks later, boom.

1641522166455.png

It's hard to tell, but it began in South Florida just a touch before the rest. So, Miami. And, we were only reporting like weekly. So, fidelity on the start time is lacking.

1641522252458.png

Then you have Duvall county - Jacksonville, FL, where it didn't really pick up until christmas. So, a slight lag, since their airport isn't as busy as Miami and Hollywood/Ft. Lauderdale.

1641522356550.png

You'll see similar behavior in Houston and Dallas in Texas, then it spreads through the state, because of the Holidays. The south got hit during all time lows, and people mostly over Covid.

New York is pretty much all NYC. I mean, per capita, it's now all over, but NYC is driving the numbers by an order of magnitude. And it's all the lead up to Christmas.

And I need to mention that Hanukkah was kind of early this past year, it was Nov 28 to Dec 6. So, lots of gatherings.
Omicron is blowing up here in Jax…but the hospitals are holding up. ER/urgent cares are busy but lots of that is people who should just be staying home in quarantine. My buddy saw 70 people in 6 hours yesterday. But the hospitalizations are relatively low.

I almost want to scream it from the rooftops…”Yes, you have Omicron!!!” Just quarantine for five days and if you’re doing ok at that point just live life

My kids went back to school on Weds. and I have already received three texts from the ISD regarding three kids testing positive for COVD in both of my kids classes.I have a feeling that this will be an every day occurrence for a while.

In some locations, starting to see the first signs of post-peak Omicron.

Looks like our wave started its vertical just several days after NYC.
So hopefully that mean in several more days here, we should be cresting.

It's just mind blowing the trajectory once omicron is present.

That positivity rate in NYC is crazy. Almost 25%???

I'm sure we have to be close to 20% now.

Looks like our wave started its vertical just several days after NYC.
So hopefully that mean in several more days here, we should be cresting.

It's just mind blowing the trajectory once omicron is present.

That positivity rate in NYC is crazy. Almost 25%???

I'm sure we have to be close to 20% now.

Positivity in SC yesterday was 32.7%.

And over 29% today.

Superchuck ... I can't help read the SC state health department initials as "Da heck!?!?"

Positivity in SC yesterday was 32.7%.

And over 29% today.

At a 30% clip, coupled with a reproductive number at 10, within a month, that would lead to herd immunity, right?

Man I'm just so glad omicron looks to much less severe.

Crazy to think 2 years ago, Eeyore posted on Jan 17 about a Lil news story coming out of China. I think I even joked that you were slipping as the resident "virus detector".
;)
2 years with 3 or 4 variants later, we may be seeing the endemic virus.

What a ride.

Those positivity rates paint the real picture since there is a massive testing shortfall.

I bet it is probably 10% of total population infected simultaneously in some states hitting the peak. We haven’t seen positivity rates that high since very early on before testing was available anywhere but a couple places in a state and only the most obvious candidates were being tested. If earlier variants were infecting at 5x the rate of what testing numbers indicated, Omicron is probably 2-3x that. I bet we have 15M simultaneous cases right now in the US.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom