COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (17 Viewers)

My friend is 50 and in good health. He and his wife got vaxxed in March. In late summer he decided to get the shingles vaccine, and when the boosters came around, he was still in the window on his shingles vax and couldn’t get boosted.
I got my shingles vaccine in late summer (1st dose) and December, and got boosted for Covid in-between. I had no idea that was a no-no. Why is that?

I noticed yesterday what has been becoming apparent in the New York Times graph data, that contrary to a seemingly budding belief that it wouldn't, that the death curve is starting up right on schedule, with the usual amount of delay, running behind the new infections curve by about a month.

So the myth that Omicron isn't in some measure as deadly as the others has been put to peace. Folks are still dying to catch it.

My friend is 50 and in good health. He and his wife got vaxxed in March. In late summer he decided to get the shingles vaccine, and when the boosters came around, he was still in the window on his shingles vax and couldn’t get boosted. His wife did.

Over Christmas he and his wife got covid, presumably omicron. She had a couple of days of cold symptoms, he got his arse kicked - he’s still dealing with it and at its worst, his oxygen was below 90% and he got supplemental O2.

I think we’re fortunate that omicron is milder on the whole but it’s still a potentially serious infection - and it’s not just the classically susceptible that face risk from it. I got my booster in November and I’m certain it helped me fight of my infection as more of an inconvenience rather than a medical concern. But I definitely felt it and can easily imagine how it could have been more serious and how much that would have sucked.

I don’t know if endless boosters is necessary but I’m not sure we’re at the point yet where the endemic virus is not a significant threat to people’s health without recent antibodies in one form or another.
I think that people should be capable of determining their level of risk. If I was a 50 year old then my decision may be different. Certainly, if you are older or have health issues then that points more toward the booster being worth it.

I noticed yesterday what has been becoming apparent in the New York Times graph data, that contrary to a seemingly budding belief that it wouldn't, that the death curve is starting up right on schedule, with the usual amount of delay, running behind the new infections curve by about a month.

So the myth that Omicron isn't in some measure as deadly as the others has been put to peace. Folks are still dying to catch it.

The assumption of a faster, tighter window of 'exposure to no longer contagious' may need a second look as well.

The state is not requiring masks in classrooms and very few students are wearing them. The state does not require a negative test to return after the shortened isolation (5 calendar days after positive test) or quarantine (5 days after close contact/exposure) but does require the students returning (even those who declared a positive result) to wear a mask for an additional 5 calendar days.

Declaring exposure at home or symptoms or testing results? Totally honor system. All of it. Like the virus no longer acts like a virus, and we can just replace facts with opinions. Except when we see a boomerang of those who return to school after 5 days only to get sick and have to stay home again AFTER magically not infecting anyone else at school.

The lack of testing and asymptomatic nature of this virus (especially at this age group) make it so easy to be passed around and around. And yes, most cases are mild, but if it's your child or loved one who is unlucky enough to be hit hard...is the politicization of this really worth it?

It is rising but relative to the sheer number of cases of Omicron compared to Delta is still substantially lower.

I got my shingles vaccine in late summer (1st dose) and December, and got boosted for Covid in-between. I had no idea that was a no-no. Why is that?

Not sure - that’s just what he told me. I believe him but not sure what the details are.

Not sure - that’s just what he told me. I believe him but not sure what the details are.
I would guess it was an overabundance of caution. An overabundance can sheet with the trade winds.

In order to be prepared for a merchant port call in Port a Prince, followed by another in Brazil, then onto other stops ending in Panama, I wound up having about 9 vaccines all at once, once, then I caught an airplane an hour later to catch that ship.

That was an overabundance as well. I was going where those nasty tropical bugs were for sure, and that was a day for being a pincushion, an enduring a day of being an overabundance of caution.

Your friends doctor probably thought the risks were such that the direction for overabundance was to take those vaccinations at a slower pace.

At my age now my doctor would probably pace them out as well. There was several times when I was younger that getting three or four vaccinations all at once was in the giving spirit of the the-all-of-a-sudden.

"The-all-of-a-sudden" is an important GOD of business you know.

Sitting on the tarmac in Philadelphia in the middle of a winter storm and they are now disinfecting the outside of the planes with heavy machinery before allowing departure.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom