COVID-19 Outbreak Information Updates (Reboot) [over 150.000,000 US cases (est.), 6,422,520 US hospitilizations, 1,148,691 US deaths.] (22 Viewers)

This is why we had such a blow up in numbers in the valley here in California. The meat producers and packing plants employ people who can’t afford time off and pay a bonus for coming into work sick or not. This then seeded the virus all through that portion of the community. And, much as you said, unless an employer is going to give a paid leave for confirmed corona because they don’t want you there (some are) A lot of people are simply going to work because they either need the money or will get disciplined if they don’t show up.

The supplemental pay has been a really important factor in maintaining even the degree of equilibrium we have, so far. Once that is gone, it's difficult to imagine this doesn't all become a lot more dire, on both fronts, and pretty quickly. Still, as you point out, many workers have had no choice, regardless.

Again, just to emphasize that as a key part of the equation in trying to forecast where we could be heading soon. Better to be prepared for the possibility of a steepening trajectory in rates of infection along with rising rates of evictions, loan defaults, crime and other metrics of a faltering economy set amid a health pandemic. Hopefully we get lucky somehow but I have no idea where that would come from.

Just found out someone was positive in the office room where I work. No name was released, but it appears it has spread to the person sitting right next to him who was in for several more days. I'm starting to feel unwell and it's been 13 days since that person was there. No disinfecting was done, no notification of possible infection for 13 days.

I'm not happy atm. Is this something which would be negligence?

Not sure where you are, but most states either have or are in the process of passing COVID limitation of liability statutes which would restrict claims to situations in which there is either gross negligence or willful misconduct, beyond ordinary negligence. (Louisiana passed one in mid-June which is retroactive to March, and there were already emergency limitations passed after Katrina which were triggered by the governor's orders.) Your employer is likely also protected against negligence claims by you under worker's compensation laws, though if you get sick and could prove you contracted the virus at work you might be able to claim comp benefits.

California, and specifically LA county are starting to have some issues. 19 counties now have all inside restaurants, bars, movie theaters, gyms, card tables shut down, and the state is actually enforcing it this time. It’s getting real here so to speak. https://public.tableau.com/views/CO...15931020425010/Cases?:embed=y&:showVizHome=no

Same is playing out in Texas, unfortunately. I read earlier that several of the major cities are expected to reach hospital capacity within the next two weeks. The convention center in Austin is being transformed into a 1,500 bed Covid treatment facility, just in case.

The supplemental pay has been a really important factor in maintaining even the degree of equilibrium we have, so far. Once that is gone, it's difficult to imagine this doesn't all become a lot more dire, on both fronts, and pretty quickly. Still, as you point out, many workers have had no choice, regardless.

Again, just to emphasize that as a key part of the equation in trying to forecast where we could be heading soon. Better to be prepared for the possibility of a steepening trajectory in rates of infection along with rising rates of evictions, loan defaults, crime and other metrics of a faltering economy set amid a health pandemic. Hopefully we get lucky somehow but I have no idea where that would come from.

You would think a simple solution could be a simple reimbursement to companies. Pay your employee for the 14 days, then the government would reimburse the employer. That way it removes the incentive to work while sick from both employee and employee, and with the ton of money this is already costing, I wouldn’t think it would make too much of a dent.

Hopefully there will be an extension of the supplemental pay soon and another round of small business loans that are forgiven if used to pay employee salaries who are not working. The loans need the be handled better than last time and had we done the lock down right the first time, it wouldn't be necessary, but I think that's the situation we are in right now. If we don't, I fear this rise in infections is only going to increase exponentially and the death rates will rise dramatically because it will start to infect older people on the job, as opposed to community spread in bars to younger people that we are largely seeing now, and the hospitals will get overwhelmed leading to more death.

You would think a simple solution could be a simple reimbursement to companies. Pay your employee for the 14 days, then the government would reimburse the employer. That way it removes the incentive to work while sick from both employee and employee, and with the ton of money this is already costing, I wouldn’t think it would make too much of a dent.

I could see that as part of a multi-faceted approach to try and deal with this.

The reality that should be setting in for everybody by now is that this is our life for the foreseeable future, leaving us to figure out how to keep spread under control while trying to keep as many people as possible financially above water. That's a monumental challenge.

Do you mean data collection? If that's the case, then they're doing it correctly, even if the testing was done at an earlier date.
No, the day the person gets the test done.. i.e. the sample collection date. Not the results report date.

i..e if you feel sick today, get tested today, get your results on thursday, they should put the 'new' results in for Today (monday) not Thursday.

But, honestly, I'm not sure how they have been doing it. if it's result date, it's subjected to backlogs, and is 'behind the curve' in terms of risk... it's bad enough a spike in cases tells you what people were doing anywhere from 1-14 days ago, but adding in a few more days makes it murkier.

No, the day the person gets the test done.. i.e. the sample collection date. Not the results report date.

i..e if you feel sick today, get tested today, get your results on thursday, they should put the 'new' results in for Today (monday) not Thursday.

But, honestly, I'm not sure how they have been doing it. if it's result date, it's subjected to backlogs, and is 'behind the curve' in terms of risk... it's bad enough a spike in cases tells you what people were doing anywhere from 1-14 days ago, but adding in a few more days makes it murkier.

Agreed, it does. And it seems to me the states are not doing it all the same. It's a legitimate discussion point because knowing where the current hot spots are will advise people in the area to protect themselves regardless what the local governments are doing.

The other thread had a list of baseball players that have tested positive. Add Texas Ranger Joey Gallo to the list.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom