COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (17 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they are taking it seriously now and encouraging others to take it seriously, why does it matter that they make a public statement that they were "wrong?"

At a time like this, I'm shocked by how many people seem to be so heavily invested in being able to gloat "I told you so."

As a society, we have become overly invested in proving ourselves right and others wrong. I think in the middle of any life threatening crisis, that should be the last thing on anyone's mind.

Just always been a pet peeve of mine when people act holier than thou about “A” now they are holier than thou about “B” which is the exact opposite of “A”

Sadly I don't see how the governor's "stay at home" order is going help anymore than what was already in place. Businesses are finding the gray areas that can make them "essential" to where they can stay open. The company I work for falls in that gray area and we are opening but I can tell you 95% of the business we have lined up for this week is not anything I would label "essential". As long as businesses are open people will be out and about spreading the virus.
Agreed. I'm trying to figure out what is non-essential at this point, besides teachers.

The self quarantine is apparently what our local door-to-door salesmen have been waiting for. Have had three come by today. Three!

I bet I haven't had 3 total in the last year.
The only person coming to my door better be a UPS / Fedex / USPS driver.

I guess people see our political overlords doing it and they are imitating them.
I also think there is way too much "it's their fault" in our society. I get it. It's easier to blame others, than it is to reflect on our own choices and then take responsibility for them.

We vote our "political overlords" into office so if anything, they are a reflection of us.

In California it’s food related, hardware stores, transportation and public safety. Oh and cannabis shops. Everything else pretty much done with. Try to get a haircut. Buy a pair of shoes. If it’s not a necessity, it’s closed here

As far as school we are done until April 13, but I highly doubt we will go back before May at the earliest. With testing suspended and all that why worry about it.
Realistically, in this day and age, the school year revolves around testing. Plain and simple. If we're really being honest, we're a test prep nation. If we take away testing, and we have, what's the point in going back for a few weeks and risk starting another round of spread?

CHICAGO (AP) — Tucked deep in the obituary for Charles Recka was an announcement that a Mass celebrating his 87 years of life “will be held at a later date.”

Such notices are increasing amid the coronavirus pandemic, as an untold number of burials around the globe go forward with nothing more than a priest, a funeral home employee and a single loved one.

While in some places, bodies of people who have died from COVID-19 are stacking up at hospitals and people are buried quickly in the clothes they died in, Recka’s death from an unrelated long illness tells a different story: One of families whose grief just happened to arrive amid a pandemic that has them terrified to even share a church pew with loved ones, let alone hug them......

Recka’s experience is part of the new normal when it comes to funerals.

Daughters of a retired police officer don’t dare get on a plane to fly to Chicago for his funeral out of fear they could be separated from their children for weeks if they are placed under quarantine.

Some veterans cemeteries in the U.S. have stopped holding memorial services altogether, after first telling older veterans to stay away.

When services are held, families are left to decide which few relatives should be allowed to attend.

In parts of Italy hardest hit by the virus, funerals, witnessed by a relative or two, last five minutes and end without any embraces, just the few people who were there hurrying back to their cars........

My Great Aunt's memorial service should have been today. It had to be postponed, with just a small funeral held for the immediate family in the area. But as her son put it, one of her favourite expressions about fast driving was "better five minutes late in this life than forty years early in the next".

Meanwhile UK cases and deaths are going up, and we're in full lockdown now.

My Great Aunt's memorial service should have been today. It had to be postponed, with just a small funeral held for the immediate family in the area. But as her son put it, one of her favourite expressions about fast driving was "better five minutes late in this life than forty years early in the next".

Meanwhile UK cases and deaths are going up, and we're in full lockdown now.

The country that was going for herd immunity has taken far more drastic actions than we have. Interesting.

Last edited:
Where would any stimulus money come from? The Fed's don't have any extra money laying around. No other countries are looking to buy a trillion in bonds.
It would have to be printed money right? Just inflationary money?
Same place that the "tax cuts" came from? :saywhat:

Or maybe the same place where the bank bailouts came from?

Or the auto manufacturer's bailout?

Or the farms bailout?

Agreed. I'm trying to figure out what is non-essential at this point, besides teachers.

Exactly. I was told yesterday that Academy Sports & Outdoors can stay open because since they sell BBQ pits and firewood they are considered essential. Its stuff like this that makes this stay at home orders seem like a joke. Until people and businesses begin to take this serious we will never make a dent in this thing.

Vitamin C and ultraviolet light are not effective . Stay calm because panic can lead to making bad decisions.

The virus can remain dangerous for about 1 hour inside, especially if someone coughs or sneezes. Outside, the risk is negligible--small risk.

Surfaces: cardboard and steel surfaces are problematic. Steel surfaces should be disinfected with peroxide or bleach. Very small chance of contracting virus from takeout food. Mail is unlikely to carry virus because it has usually been sitting in a truck for a long time.
Seems like some of this stuff goes against other info that I've read previously. I've seen people say that it doesn't do well on cardboard packaging. How can vitamin C not help? It is good for the immune system. UV light exposure needs to be for extended periods of time (as I've seen elsewhere), but the vitamin D that your body produces with exposure to sunlight is said to help. Ugh, there just seems to be so many people saying so many different things that you don't know who's right and who's wrong.

Realistically, in this day and age, the school year revolves around testing. Plain and simple. If we're really being honest, we're a test prep nation. If we take away testing, and we have, what's the point in going back for a few weeks and risk starting another round of spread?
I’m a teacher. While we can argue testing or not, at my school we have 950 germ incubators shoulder to shoulder in wings with recirculating air conditioning. I’m just as happy to distance learn/write curriculum, drink, blocks and my GTO, put up with my wife whatever than to be back in that Petri dish.

E0AcWy.gif
Wow, I remember that commercial from back in the day. Haven't seen that in forever. Ahhh, back in the day cartoons and tv commercials.....how I miss them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom