COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (16 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what is the economy going to look like when we don't have people traveling, no hotels booked, no cruises, restaurants empty, people working from home, hundreds of thousands dead, no healthcare system, people not able to work either due to being sick, taking care of someone sick or attending funderals. How are we going to do with oil prices at $20? Now, stretch this over a 18 month period.

If we shut it down 2 months ago we could quite literally already be done with it and the only consequence would be no international travel for a year but two months ago that seemed really extreme.

If we prioritized testing early then we could be living with the virus like South Korea.

We chose to go let the virus run wild for 6 weeks, then try to play catch up and then right as we were about to get caught up we quit and let the virus win. I've never been so disappointed. The economic fall out from this decision is simply not imaginable.
Yeah but that’s life with a reality tv star at the helm. Total disconnect from “reality”. It will be up to the states to manage this disaster as best they can, and then seek redress from the federal government once we have an adult back in the White House in January 2021.

So my business is considered essential in Hawaii and will not need to close. The board is requesting we only see acute and urgent cases and take steps to reduce contact between patients. I have already been doing this. The result is that we went from 15 scheduled today down to 4. We may not be forced to close but it's going to be tough sledding getting by on 4 visits a day.
The urgent care center in the next town went from 60 per day to 9. Hang in there my friend, this will pass.

Anyone notice that Trump stopped taking this seriously once he received the all clear that the Brazilians had not infected him? Since it's all about him, we need someone every three or four days who has access to the President feign COVID19 (I'm not wishing the actual disease on him or anyone else). As long as it might impact him directly, he'll take it seriously and listen to what people have to say. Otherwise, Dr. Fauci and other experts are just talking into the wind...

So what is the economy going to look like when we don't have people traveling, no hotels booked, no cruises, restaurants empty, people working from home, hundreds of thousands dead, no healthcare system, people not able to work either due to being sick, taking care of someone sick or attending funderals. How are we going to do with oil prices at $20? Now, stretch this over a 18 month period.

If we shut it down 2 months ago we could quite literally already be done with it and the only consequence would be no international travel for a year but two months ago that seemed really extreme.

If we prioritized testing early then we could be living with the virus like South Korea.

We chose to go let the virus run wild for 6 weeks, then try to play catch up and then right as we were about to get caught up we quit and let the virus win. I've never been so disappointed. The economic fall out from this decision is simply not imaginable.

Agree with all of this. I work in banking compliance and see the Fed, FDIC and other regulating agency announcements daily. Having liquidity available is great for banks, but it is a short-term solution- a band aid on a gun shot wound. It will only help investor and consumer confidence so much. Banks are also doing all that they can to keep borrower's in their homes, preserve good credit standing, defer payments, offer hardship loans, and more to help minimize economic stress. But again, short term solution- 6 months max.

If the health response isn't swift and this drags on for months, we will absolutely see unemployment numbers that we have not seen in a long time. This will pretty much kill the market making any kind of a rebound an extremely slow going process. The key is having an efficient and effective plan to mitigate COVID impact. Right now, things are in a disarray because we are playing catch-up and this is impacting markets.

Three waves of the virus. The current one that will end this year, the second one that will come in 2021 and the third in 2022. She also said we'll have a vaccine by 2021, so no worries.
So not necessarily 3 waves like the Spanish flu?

Indeed, she said they expect treatments by the fall of this year and a vaccine possible in time for 22.
Treatments by the fall? That's good news, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom