COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PPE’s that they are showing on TV are a JOKE!!! The healthcare providers don’t even have a decent mask on, they have those waste of money flimsy yellow gowns on, that fly all over the place, it is such an embarrassment for our country.

When the healthcare workers in Wuhan finally got up to speed, they were totally covered head to toe, with sturdy outfits. They had pictures of the nurses with marks on their faces, because their masks & face shields were so tight, to protect them.

It just makes me sick that we can provide the best uni’s & equipment for our military & yet the healthcare workers are so poorly protected.

saw this image on a change.org petition page. I don’t know enough about healthcare worker PPE so I am not sure how accurate it is. But it reminded me of your comment

EnLgdevIxVJYdMK-800x450-noPad.jpg

I'm not sure what the situation is in the US, but Australian states are closing borders and requiring anybody undertaking cross-border travel to self-isolate for 14 days when arriving from within the country (previously self-isolation requirements only applied to those returning from overseas or where there has been exposure to a confirmed case).

I think that's the most effective way to make people stay where they are without welding them in their house ala Wuhan.
I'm working for one of Australia's largest employers and it is becoming clear that we'll be heading down the same path as New Zealand in a few days (from governmental sources to our CEO). This is a complete lock-down except for critical essential services (grocery stores, pharmacies, doctors, etc.) for four weeks. My wife and son are in the middle of this now. Australian authorities are delaying it to try and lessen the panic and further strain on the food supply chain. We are currently stretched to the limit to try and supply the two largest grocery chains, Woolworths and Coles. If there is another run on the stores, the supply chain will break. Distribution centres are empty, store shelves are empty and suppliers cannot keep up with demand. Things are about to get much more serious for people here. I am just thankful that I'm working as part of the food supply chain, so my job and those of my staff are safe...and that we live and work in rural, low population areas.

My wife wouldn't appreciate me passing on stories so I can't really. I will say I have zero confidence in the hospital protecting my wife and family. My wife is a lot different than I am because the first time I didn't have proper equipment my butt would be clocking out and going home. There are minimum tools required for any job and I would say at the top of that list should be the tools that keep the healthcare workers safe and healthy. It makes no sense to me that a healthcare worker should sacrifice their own (and family's) safety to do their job. Like I say....my wife is different and why that job was her calling. She would never leave under any circumstances but I'd be dropping the mic and hitting the doors the first time I felt my safety was compromised.

saw this image on a change.org petition page. I don’t know enough about healthcare worker PPE so I am not sure how accurate it is. But it reminded me of your comment

EnLgdevIxVJYdMK-800x450-noPad.jpg
Seriously, this reminds me of the skinny poor kids with no shoes on wearing an Atlanta Falcons Championship t-shirt after the super bowl. Can't believe it's happening here.

Seriously, this reminds me of the skinny poor kids with no shoes on wearing an Atlanta Falcons Championship t-shirt after the super bowl. Can't believe it's happening here.

Wait until they run out of the cheap surgical masks and are running around with bandanas on. Its hilarious/horrifying that CDC first said masks do not work and then come out and say for healthcare workers to wear bandanas and homemade masks when they run out of N95s. Even in the worst viral outbreak movies they never run out of protective gear.

It appears we are now entering the phase where the hospitals are near workload capacity, or in some cases, maxed out, so expect to see the death rate start it's ascent.

This is sickening to watch knowing there isn't a whole lot that can be done to stop it once it reaches these levels.

No worries though guys; this is all just like the flu. Medical professionals go to social media to beg for supplies every flu season. Morgues refuse bodies and countries have to resort to using ice hockey rinks to store the dead every year.

This will all be over by Easter; it’ll be beautiful.

@bclemms I've seen you post info on weather related and found this for you,

Thanks! That is causation though. Annual temps really have zero impact, as you can see on that map there are a hundred other places that fit those same temps that aren't circled. It's a certain seasonal temp range which is likely due to UV exposure that has the bigger impact. All of the stuff we put together shows the virus tends to spread faster in areas that have long periods with temperatures between 40-60 degrees without huge temperature swings. Places like New Orleans are in ideal range from the end of November to mid March. I actually think peak infection rate in New Orleans is over with and now we are just seeing the fallout and think we will actually peak in the next couple weeks while the spread begins to slow.

Cities farther north with coastal influences that moderate temperatures during the winter and summer months are the ones we think are the hardest to combat. Places like Seattle and Vancouver that experience long periods in this weather norm with high percentage of cloud cover are really tough. NYC had an adnormally warm winter putting them in this risk area for a long period this year. Combine NYC with travel routes and population density it is why it became our #1 City in the US with cities like Milan, Paris, London and Madrid for huge outbreaks. The one city on our "top 10" list that his been able to really hold ground is Seoul, South Korea. Other cities that have done surprisingly well are Dublin (and Ireland as a whole), Glaskow and Lisbon to a degree. Ireland and Scotland shut things down really fast and hard. Seoul has a young population and was very aggressive with early testing, contact tracing and isolation. Lisbon was slower to react and has more cases but so far has been able to hold off a catastrophic outbreak.

Unfortunately there are a lot of cities that are just now starting to get into peak virus spread. Cities like Boston, Detroit, Twin Cities, Chicago, Milwaukee, Buffalo, Erie and Cleveland are places to watch in the USA in the coming weeks/months. In Eurpoe there are a lot of places that fit the bill for long duration peak temps and minimal UV exposure that could run into early summer and then after a brief relief period jump right back into those zones with an early fall season. All of those cities and places will be the canary in the coal mine for the 2nd wave.

What we don't understand is why the virus tends to spread slower in winter of colder areas that have even less UV exposure. Places like Berlin and Moscow or MSP and Detroit in the USA. Our guess was people tend to go out less, have a lot less skin exposure with so many people in those location wearing gloves and layers of clothes. Which also makes us think that more tranmission from surfaces happen than most people think. Plus those tend not to have the huge international hubs due to frequent poor weather days which may have reduced seeding. It could be the virus just doesn't do as well in freezing temps but we think that is unlikely. Ontario and toronto have been the most outlier of the cold weather places but they avoided early big outbreaks while temps were still cold. Toronto is going to be a city we think has a lot of problems moving forward.

New York is just ideal for a massive outbreak - density, climate in spring, late response. It’s basically Wuhan but worse.

Wuhan shut the city down, but not before about five million left town (Wuhan is a regional hub but must of the residents aren’t from there so are quick to leave - or may have even been going home already for the (lunar) new year). The pre-lockdown exodus exported the virus but also cut down Wuhan’s density.

Is it going to get to the point where people start bailing en masse on New York? Will a more vigorous lockdown prompt a similar exodus?

Any reason why that doesn’t happen?

Didn't a part of NY do a total lockdown a while back? I believe it was for a mile radius and the national guard was part of it. Is it still ongoing?

I was afraid of something like this being what's actually occurring...

I know our hospital situation is different than that of other countries', but our death rate being as low as it is does not make any sense compared to everything else going on around us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom