COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: 120,076 cases and 1,993 deaths) (155 Viewers)

Eeyore

Flucifer
Reaction score
Sticky Post
UPDATED TRACKER LINKS:

It shouldn't be a big deal but with a large number of people unable to afford healthcare, and the anti vax crowd growing there's a small chance that this could be interesting.

Last edited:

Charlie Brizzown

Used to fish
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
81 COVID related deaths in NYC between 10 am and 6 pm.

and its getting worse
New York is just ideal for a massive outbreak - density, climate in spring, late response. It’s basically Wuhan but worse.

Wuhan shut the city down, but not before about five million left town (Wuhan is a regional hub but must of the residents aren’t from there so are quick to leave - or may have even been going home already for the (lunar) new year). The pre-lockdown exodus exported the virus but also cut down Wuhan’s density.

Is it going to get to the point where people start bailing en masse on New York? Will a more vigorous lockdown prompt a similar exodus?

Any reason why that doesn’t happen?

PurpleBlack&Gold

FOOTBALL PLEASE!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
New York is just ideal for a massive outbreak - density, climate in spring, late response. It’s basically Wuhan but worse.

Wuhan shut the city down, but not before about five million left town (Wuhan is a regional hub but must of the residents aren’t from there so are quick to leave - or may have even been going home already for the (lunar) new year). The pre-lockdown exodus exported the virus but also cut down Wuhan’s density.

Is it going to get to the point where people start bailing en masse on New York? Will a more vigorous lockdown prompt a similar exodus?

I dont see how this plays out better than what happened in Wuhan. We are about to see first hand if the Chinese numbers are bunk or not.

not2rich

NO State of Mind
Reaction score
It’s plausible and not patently bull crap but you never know with something like that. More often than not they’re bunk.
I don't know.

My wife works in health care here in Denver and they're being instructed to keep visiting patients who they suspect may have Covid-19 (without PPE mind you), but those patients haven't been tested. One of her co-workers was exposed to a Covid-19 patient, and is currently running an on and off fever with cough, but she hasn't been tested. Instead, she's in self-quarantine.

Health care professionals are currently running into a lot of "potential" Covid-19 cases, which are more likely the average flu, but they don't know because no one is being tested.

She's also heard from a family member who works in the hospital system in Atlanta that they are on the verge of being overwhelmed.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know.

My wife works in health care here in Denver and they're being instructed to keep visiting patients who they suspect may have Covid-19 (without PPE mind you), but those patients haven't been tested. One of her co-workers was exposed to a Covid-19 patient, and is currently running an on and off fever with cough, but she hasn't been tested. Instead, she's in self-quarantine.

Health care professionals are currently running into a lot of "potential" Covid-19 cases, which are more likely the average flu, but they don't know because no one is being tested.

She's also heard from a family member who works in the hospital system in Atlanta that they are on the verge of being overwhelmed.
Yeah that’s true - we know of systems all over at the breaking point, yet lab-confirmed cases are relatively low. It would be sensible that there would be a multiple of cases waiting confirm based on the trajectory.

not2rich

NO State of Mind
Reaction score
Yeah.

The "save the economy" crowd don't understand what's happening and is going to happen with our health care system, and haven't gamed out what that's going to do to the economy, no matter how much happy talk our politicians might feed us. They just don't get it.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If 60 hospital employees test positive, there’s just not proper protection there - almost certainly due to lack of PPE. Unless they’re getting it outside of the hospitals.

Poison

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score

I'm not sure what the situation is in the US, but Australian states are closing borders and requiring anybody undertaking cross-border travel to self-isolate for 14 days when arriving from within the country (previously self-isolation requirements only applied to those returning from overseas or where there has been exposure to a confirmed case).

I think that's the most effective way to make people stay where they are without welding them in their house ala Wuhan.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the situation is in the US, but Australian states are closing borders and requiring anybody undertaking cross-border travel to self-isolate for 14 days when arriving from within the country (previously self-isolation requirements only applied to those returning from overseas or where there has been exposure to a confirmed case).

I think that's the most effective way to make people stay where they are without welding them in their house ala Wuhan.
The US is nowhere near that - in part because there is no federal interest in that. Individual states could be attempt more stringent lockdowns and border closings but it would be very challenging without federal assistance.

The federal position at this point is “this is as much as we’re willing to do and we’re starting to lose patience.” And they don’t support new economy-blunting measures, no matter the epidemiology behind them.

Dago

Veteran
Reaction score
The US is nowhere near that - in part because there is no federal interest in that. Individual states could be attempt more stringent lockdowns and border closings but it would be very challenging without federal assistance.

The federal position at this point is “this is as much as we’re willing to do and we’re starting to lose patience.” And they don’t support new economy-blunting measures, no matter the epidemiology behind them.
Yeah let a state try to block an interstate....somehow I think the feds would have an issue with it.
At this point I believe the feds are purposefully gaming the system to hide the reality to avoid a panic or loss of faith in the government (imagine that!)
And before any idiots start just screaming Trump on that, there is no way that this could be happening without our reps knowing...they all have sources for info.

LuvNOLA

WHO DAT
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If 60 hospital employees test positive, there’s just not proper protection there - almost certainly due to lack of PPE. Unless they’re getting it outside of the hospitals.

The PPE’s that they are showing on TV are a JOKE!!! The healthcare providers don’t even have a decent mask on, they have those waste of money flimsy yellow gowns on, that fly all over the place, it is such an embarrassment for our country.

When the healthcare workers in Wuhan finally got up to speed, they were totally covered head to toe, with sturdy outfits. They had pictures of the nurses with marks on their faces, because their masks & face shields were so tight, to protect them.

It just makes me sick that we can provide the best uni’s & equipment for our military & yet the healthcare workers are so poorly protected.

LuvNOLA

WHO DAT
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Sickening 😡

nolastyle

The Future Has Arrived
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I just got this from a guy I know. Can anybody validate or disprove?

Screenshot_20200325-221329_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200325-221337_Chrome.jpg
I can tell you from the unit name that's Ochsner's main campus on Jefferson. Which is easily one of the biggest hospitals in NOLA. So not every hospital will have that many covid patients.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 51, Guests: 80)

Headlines

Top Bottom