COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I get a check, I may try to return it. Social Security and pensions come in via automatic deposit. Why would I need a stimulus at all? There's very little to spend it on right now, anyway, unfortunately. We'll see what happens.

By contrast there are without question folks who need it desperately and they needed it at least a week ago. The problem with these sorts of blanket giveaways is that there will inevitably be bad inequities. That said, the government has to do something and do it quickly before the economy shuts down.

Dude, send it to me. I need it in a bad way. :hihi:

It's an honorable idea and I respect anyone willing to make a decision like that. But, IMO, you should probably either donate it to funds that are out there to help the poor and unemployed or just use it to order food for delivery to keep local restaurants open and help some people keep their jobs. The government will just waste the money and not use it to help people.
actually it's meant to be spent whether u need it or not. Money spent in the economy helps the economy. Same principle of economic crisis in 2008 when they sent out stimulus checks. If u really just want to donate. My hand is flying up in the air. Lol

We just need a new normal. The question shouldn't be, do we fly again or not. It is how to we continue to allow the airlines to fly, and keep the public safe?

We can't just be in a shut down or not. We need a new normal. I'd use some of that stimulus to buy masks, and sanitizer.

The problem with that is too many people will not follow those new norms, and the same way the spring breakers didn't care that a virus was out there. I just don't trust that people will actually adopt the new normal.

This may be a new subject for a new thread.

Lets look forward to what needs to happen post Covi19 to keep the world better protected. Do we need to have a set of global health and safety standards if we are to have a global economy and global society?

In most developed countries we have the basics of health and food safety standards that mitigate threats to public health disasters. Some countries have cultural and much less restrictions on food safety that as we now see can easily and quickly spread to a global pandemic. What measures should be put in place to bring all countries to a reasonable standard and what would those health standards be? Will there be new travel restrictions for travel to and from certain areas? Not a shut down but more invasive check points?

Second, a big part of the "climate change" initiatives has been creating mass population centers which I never understood to begin with. The more mass populated an area is the more pollution there will be in those areas but also the more likely that a virus like Covi 19 will be difficult to contain as we are seeing in NY and other population condensed areas around the world. Not to get into a climate change discussion but do climate change and globalization initiatives at odds with what is needed to mitigate global pandemics?

Supply chains are at a near standstill because they were pretty much originating from a very few countries and being shipped around the globe. This was done for either corporate profits or to maintain affordable consumer prices depending on how you look at it. How does this change going forward and how does it affect the movement for a global economy and global supply chain?

actually it's meant to be spent whether u need it or not. Money spent in the economy helps the economy. Same principle of economic crisis in 2008 when they sent out stimulus checks. If u really just want to donate. My hand is flying up in the air. Lol
Actually, it's not. It is meant to help people get buy with what they think is a "temporary" stoppage of work. It's a stop gap to covering your rent, car note, etc.

I'd use it to start organizing some of your emergency supplies / hurricane supplies, if you don't have any immediate needs.

This may be a new subject for a new thread.

Lets look forward to what needs to happen post Covi19 to keep the world better protected. Do we need to have a set of global health and safety standards if we are to have a global economy and global society?

In most developed countries we have the basics of health and food safety standards that mitigate threats to public health disasters. Some countries have cultural and much less restrictions on food safety that as we now see can easily and quickly spread to a global pandemic. What measures should be put in place to bring all countries to a reasonable standard and what would those health standards be? Will there be new travel restrictions for travel to and from certain areas? Not a shut down but more invasive check points?

Second, a big part of the "climate change" initiatives has been creating mass population centers which I never understood to begin with. The more mass populated an area is the more pollution there will be in those areas but also the more likely that a virus like Covi 19 will be difficult to contain as we are seeing in NY and other population condensed areas around the world. Not to get into a climate change discussion but do climate change and globalization initiatives at odds with what is needed to mitigate global pandemics?

Supply chains are at a near standstill because they were pretty much originating from a very few countries and being shipped around the globe. This was done for either corporate profits or to maintain affordable consumer prices depending on how you look at it. How does this change going forward and how does it affect the movement for a global economy and global supply chain?
Great post. May need to be its own thread.

The problem with that is too many people will not follow those new norms, and the same way the spring breakers didn't care that a virus was out there. I just don't trust that people will actually adopt the new normal.
Then we do what they do. Consistent shame for anyone not following the new norm.

You'll never get 100% anything. Heck, I finally encouraged one guy at work, who is a daily cougher to consider wearing a mask, so he doesn't cough on everything, since his son is an EMT.

I didn't even directly tell him to do it, I just mentioned that's how the country could stop the spread. He did it today. Wow.

Then we do what they do. Consistent shame for anyone not following the new norm.

You'll never get 100% anything. Heck, I finally encouraged one guy at work, who is a daily cougher to consider wearing a mask, so he doesn't cough on everything, since his son is an EMT.

I didn't even directly tell him to do it, I just mentioned that's how the country could stop the spread. He did it today. Wow.

I suppose so. But I'd rather fight the virus for a month than for 10-12 months.

I know. That's part of why I said the plan they came up with makes no sense on so many levels. It's supposed to be spent and people who don't "need" the money will likely just spend it and help prop up the economy. But, giving it to people who need it if you don't need it, does the same things. They will spend it because they have to spend it.

And fwiw, the shame thing doesn't really work on a lot of people these days. It's certainly not going to be close to 100%, and the problem is I don't think it's going to be enough to blunt the spread of the disease enough to keep from getting hospitals who at at capacity and making choices about who lives and who dies, which is getting more likely if we try the open for business route.

Actually, it's not. It is meant to help people get buy with what they think is a "temporary" stoppage of work. It's a stop gap to covering your rent, car note, etc.

It's meant for both helping those in need and to stimulate the economy and keep it somewhat viable while we wait out COVID-19. And the plan they passed doesn't do either as well as it could have.

A quick lesson on national debt. Everyone keeps asking about the debt. It's not the debt it is the amount of interest u pay on the debt. Interest rates are at near zero. The govt will just refinance our debt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom