COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (8 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the Hawaii government not telling us?

"New York, Hawaii and North Carolina have requested emergency mortuary assistance from FEMA to handle the coming deaths expected from coronavirus, as the pandemic bears down on the United States. "

"A spokesperson for the Federal Emergency Management Agency confirmed the requests in a statement on Wednesday. The requests are currently under review and have not yet been approved, the spokesperson said."

Could simply be using foresight to lay the groundwork for dealing with a problem that they know will be happening in the near future and not indicative of anything that has already occurred

Could simply be using foresight to lay the groundwork for dealing with a problem that they know will be happening in the near future and not indicative of anything that has already occurred

I suppose so. We have just over 100 cases here now. Seems like those resources could be better used in other areas though.

I suppose so. We have just over 100 cases here now. Seems like those resources could be better used in other areas though.

They may be anticipating the slowdown of bureaucracy especially once other states start making the same request

Personally having delicious food delivered from reputable restaurants, imho, carries little risk. These workers do not want to compromise their jobs. (Some of the dad’s in this thread even stated that because their kids work in restaurants). It also helps workers to keep their jobs.

Imho there was a much greater risk just going into Costco last night. There were pallets & pallets of toilet paper & even more pallets of bottled water. As a sales lady once told me, “by the time you buy a product, it has probably been touched by 60 hands.” (From manufacturing, to transport, to delivery etc etc etc). Therefore she felt as though she was not even safe doing her job.

So live & let live.......everyone has to find their own way, to keep themselves & their family safe. ????

There's definitely risk everywhere. I'm going to try the grocery pick up options for the first time in my life tomorrow since it's a little less sketchy than going in the store. I just don't know if I can feel as positive as the FDA and that article about food preparation. I don't think workers are as worried about compromising their jobs as much as they're worried about not getting paid.

Last edited:
I agree that the mayor was not really in a position to make that call in the sense that without hindsight, most people would not think of canceling it. Not mad at her for that decision. But her recent comments were not a good look either.

That said, without the benefit of hindsight, I'm not sure what could have been done different, but we were questioning why there wasn't any testing available leading up to Mardi Gras? Had a ramped up effort started a few weeks sooner, I have no doubt numerous cases would have been found and containment to some degree would have been feasible. And further, maybe Mardi Gras gets a different look. The timing couldn't have been much worse unfortunately.
A question I would then ask is if she gets a pass then do the feds get a pass also? What would the country's reaction been had the feds locked down the country with no cases or only 1 or 2 here? I know even last week a fairly large portion of people thought this was the flu or a flu for old people.

I am still trying to check on this.

The first local outbreak area in New York was in New Rochelle and associated witha synagogue. There was that one lawyer that appeared to be a super-spreader. There was a managed zone in that neighborhood but it wasn’t complete lockdown. People could come in and out if they needed to, but it was heavily regulated

I'm saying nothing.

Prince Charles and now Boris Johnson? Wow. Hopefully not serious cases. I'm curious if once they are healthy, do they then not have to worry about social distancing or continue it for appearance sake? I'm guessing they're immune once healthy?

Pretty sure I read somewhere that there is some risk of relapse or reinfection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom