COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
but they aren't the majority. They have the majority of power and money.

We are the majority.

These are our elected officials and you will hear nary a peep from the Senate 'majority' regarding this explicit desire to keep a half trillion off the books, which makes it an executive slush fund for the White House.

And you will hear a ton of people get up in arms over universities and postsecondary students getting meager protections while they actively look the other way when it comes to this.

Maybe we get what we deserve because this is what we vote for.
To the extent possible the "WE" will be acting the very same way. You can already see this in the toilet paper aisles in every retail store.

Italy ain't out of the woods yet. Lot of people are dying there.

Spain's numbers continuing to rise. Looks like they're gonna be overwhelmed for a bit. Their numbers are probably gonna end up being worse than Italy's.

It's almost unbelievable. 800-900 deaths per day. It's difficult to imagine those numbers transferring to the U.S. adjusted for population differences.

It's almost unbelievable. 800-900 deaths per day. It's difficult to imagine those numbers transferring to the U.S. adjusted for population differences.

Yeah, both countries are in the 10% fatalities range relative to number of cases. Staggering numbers. 10% here would be over 10k people dead at this point.

I fully expect our percentage to go up because I think some areas are gonna get hit hard here. I hope not, but based on what we're seeing worldwide so far, it's not looking promising.

@bclemms

I was thinking this morning about the current weather patterns and how tied they are to the spread of the virus. Anything new or interesting in this area currently? Just curious how things have changed in recent weeks.

Delta, American, and United all reported record profits in the last couple of years. Delta's CEO said 2019 was the "best year in the company's history."

Is this becoming cyclical, then? Get a bailout. Buy back the stocks. Gouge customers. Squeeze space. Nickel and dime for everything. Deliver an increasingly uncomfortable product. Record record profits. Brag about it. Economic downturn. Get a bailout. Buy back the stocks. Get ready for more price gouging when things return to normal!
Leave it to corporate America to figure out how to profit from a tragedy. Never mind the cash they hauled in from TrumpTax which they promptly put to work nickel-and-diming raises, then buying back even more of their own stock.

**** on all of them.

I deleted one of my own posts because it was getting too far into political commentary. Will try to pull that back into the pandemic because it's still the central story here.

Still really aggravated that Virginia hasn't issued a stay at home order. Many here are already staying at home, but it's still not being taken seriously enough.

Yeah, both countries are in the 10% fatalities range relative to number of cases. Staggering numbers. 10% here would be over 10k people dead at this point.

I fully expect our percentage to go up because I think some areas are gonna get hit hard here. I hope not, but based on what we're seeing worldwide so far, it's not looking promising.

The hardest hit areas of Italy seem to be stabilizing, but other areas of Italy are rising. The soccer game in northern Italy was the even that sparked it in that region, but it's spreading.

I would expect the same thing to happen in the US on a wider scale - so the period might be even longer. Areas like Seattle got hit hard, first. Then NYC. Those areas struggle and, hopefully, begin to get it under some sort of control. You have other areas like Atlanta, Chicago, New Orleans which are beginning to see problems. And it will continue to roll across the country. The Spring Break graphic with the phones I showed earlier, you could see most of them ended up going into the Midwest and East coast and other areas in the southeast and northeast. Those potential carriers could cause breakouts in medium- and smaller-size cities, but we haven't seen it yet because it needs time to spread.

That's my concern.

So, Italy rises in cases but Lombardy isn't rising as fast as it was. But other areas of Italy will. So, rises in Rome, Venice, Turin, etc.

Well, NYC and maybe Seattle could be our Lombardy. We still have a lot of Romes and Venices and Turins and Napleses.

I think it spreads wider and longer than it has in Italy. My hope is that those secondary infection sites aren't as impacted because people are doing a better of job of mitigating spread.

The hardest hit areas of Italy seem to be stabilizing, but other areas of Italy are rising. The soccer game in northern Italy was the even that sparked it in that region, but it's spreading.

I would expect the same thing to happen in the US on a wider scale - so the period might be even longer. Areas like Seattle got hit hard, first. Then NYC. Those areas struggle and, hopefully, begin to get it under some sort of control. You have other areas like Atlanta, Chicago, New Orleans which are beginning to see problems. And it will continue to roll across the country. The Spring Break graphic with the phones I showed earlier, you could see most of them ended up going into the Midwest and East coast and other areas in the southeast and northeast. Those potential carriers could cause breakouts in medium- and smaller-size cities, but we haven't seen it yet because it needs time to spread.

That's my concern.

So, Italy rises in cases but Lombardy isn't rising as fast as it was. But other areas of Italy will. So, rises in Rome, Venice, Turin, etc.

Well, NYC and maybe Seattle could be our Lombardy. We still have a lot of Romes and Venices and Turins and Napleses.

I think it spreads wider and longer than it has in Italy. My hope is that those secondary infection sites aren't as impacted because people are doing a better of job of mitigating spread.

Yeah, good thoughts. My concern is that all of this is probably going to take a couple of months. The peak infection numbers I would think will vary widely across the country. We don't want to let our collective guards down too soon.

Yeah, good thoughts. My concern is that all of this is probably going to take a couple of months. The peak infection numbers I would think will vary widely across the country. We don't want to let our collective guards down too soon.

There's a provincial statistician that I follow for Ontario projections, and he believes that we don't hit our 'peak' until the end of April. That's a month away. And if the 'flattening' works, it could be after that (which wouldn't be bad news).

We are scheduled to return to school after Easter, but the Minister of Ed is going to make an announcement in the next day or so and it would not surprise me if he announces the rest of the year will be distance learning - no schools open.

Keep in mind, our school year goes until the end of June up here vs. end of May in most places in the States. So it's possible the announcement is a delay until mid-May or early June.

There's a provincial statistician that I follow for Ontario projections, and he believes that we don't hit our 'peak' until the end of April. That's a month away. And if the 'flattening' works, it could be after that (which wouldn't be bad news).

We are scheduled to return to school after Easter, but the Minister of Ed is going to make an announcement in the next day or so and it would not surprise me if he announces the rest of the year will be distance learning - no schools open.

Keep in mind, our school year goes until the end of June up here vs. end of May in most places in the States. So it's possible the announcement is a delay until mid-May or early June.

Yeah, our district, Fairfax County Public Schools actually runs through the first week of June, and the rest of this school year has already been canceled. But that was more a result of the state government declaration than the district. I have no doubt the schools here would still be open if not for that declaration. FCPS hasn't been the most proactive district in the past.

I agree, the country as a whole will probably have a long plateau, as different areas peak at varying times. I wouldn't be surprised to see multiple peaks. The data and aftermath of all of this should be really interesting, and I suspect will drive some of our decisionmaking going forward.

I deleted one of my own posts because it was getting too far into political commentary. Will try to pull that back into the pandemic because it's still the central story here.

Still really aggravated that Virginia hasn't issued a stay at home order. Many here are already staying at home, but it's still not being taken seriously enough.
I didn't realize that. I figured that D.C. existing would be reason enough.

You know that your government's response is lacking when The People's Republic of Indianastan beats you by several weeks.

Right now the death rate here is very good...almost identical to South Korea. Really drives home the difference between being under or over the maximum capacity of the health care system
We can pray that it stays low now that our manufacturing is finally cranking up
We are near peak infection rate, so peak death rate is a few days out. These are all lagging numbers. Let's not fly any mission accomplished banners yet.

Expect more bad news for at least another 5 days. That's my current estimate (may need to update it).

Why give them bailout money?

Isn't this the market showing us that there are too many airlines? They were obviously struggling before or they wouldn't be in such trouble now.

I think we will see a drop in international travel for a while. I expect domestic to pick up.

If that holds true, all carriers that have international flights will "shrink" . That will be beyond their control.

We are near peak infection rate, so peak death rate is a few days out. These are all lagging numbers. Let's not fly any mission accomplished banners yet.

Expect more bad news for at least another 5 days. That's my current estimate (may need to update it).

It's going to be way more than 5 days.

The day that the curve flattens we'll go back to normal and blow it up again. We can't help ourselves.

I was talking to some coworkers last night about the return of the weekly safety meeting. Two of our store room attendants laughed and said that they can't believe that I'm buying into the hoax.

?

Some people need to see blood before they believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom