COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (16 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Louisiana has released today’s update. 3315 cases 137 deaths and all but 8 parishes has at least 1 case confirmed.

According to the state-by-state study by the University of Washington, the projected peak in Louisiana is April 8th with an expected 97 dying daily but with the potential for that number to reach 240.

By comparison, for NY the numbers are... the projected peak is April 6th with 547 dying daily but with the potential for that number to reach 1350.

Link to article... https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...+3-28-20_3_28_2020&utm_term=Active subscriber

Last edited:
According to the state-by-state study by the University of Washington, the projected peak in Louisiana is April 8th with an expected 97 dying daily but with the potential for that number to reach 240.

By comparison, for NY the numbers are... the projected peak is April 6th with 547 dying daily but with the potential for that number to reach 1350.

Link to article... https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/uw-model-says-social-distancing-is-starting-to-work-but-still-projects-1400-coronavirus-deaths-in-the-state/?utm_source=marketingcloud&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Top+of+The+Times+3-28-20_3_28_2020&utm_term=Active subscriber
Ugh

Not sure where those numbers are from?

I'm being fairly conservative with projected rates of 10% hospitalised and 15% requiring critical care. The 16th March Imperial College impact study assumed a rate as high as 30% of those hospitalised - "We assume that 30% of those that are hospitalised will require critical care (invasive mechanical ventilation or ECMO) based on early reports from COVID-19 cases in the UK, China and Italy".

More recently, if we're talking current data, the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control most recent rapid risk assessment states that "In EU/EEA countries with available data, 30% of diagnosed COVID-19 cases were hospitalised and 4% had severe illness," and "Among hospitalised cases, severe illness was reported in 15% of cases, and death occurred in 12% of these cases, with higher case–fatality rates in older adults."

Hence, 15% seems a reasonable, conservative, estimate at this point in time.
And how many times have imperial been wrong so far?

The hospitalisation rate in the UK is at most 4% and the percentage of those in critical care is 2.6%. Those are the facts, not the assumptions or the guesswork of a team that is constantly changing their stance, this is based on real numbers right now.

Question relating to making your own bleach cleaning solution: I know there was discussion of this earlier in the thread, but I have no idea where it is. I've got a 32 oz spray bottle and some ultra concentrated bleach. What's the appropriate ratio for mixing? I'm seeing all sorts of different numbers on Google searches, anywhere from a tablespoon + teaspoon to 1/3 cup.

The bottle on my regular bleach said 3/4 cup to a gallon. So about 3 ounces for a 32 ounce bottle. Yours may be less. The key is making sure there is enough bleach in it to inactivate the virus. Just go with 3 ounces and dont spray anything that you dont plan to tie die

The bottle on my regular bleach said 3/4 cup to a gallon. So about 3 ounces for a 32 ounce bottle. Yours may be less. The key is making sure there is enough bleach in it to inactivate the virus. Just go with 3 ounces and dont spray anything that you dont plan to tie die
Very good. I don't have the actual bottle (got some from someone who had a big bottle) and wasn't sure what it said on the actual bottle. I'll just be spraying the kitchen floor (linoleum) so I'm not worried about that getting bleach stained.

And how many times have imperial been wrong so far?

The hospitalisation rate in the UK is at most 4% and the percentage of those in critical care is 2.6%. Those are the facts, not the assumptions or the guesswork of a team that is constantly changing their stance, this is based on real numbers right now.

They change their stance due to changes in our behavior. The initial modeling was based on doing nothing. They have revised it for the current mitigation efforts. So far I dont think they have been too far off if you actually read the reports. They currently think the UK will have enough beds to go around based on the current trajectory. Think of it more like predicting the weather.

Its an odd thing to witness: Everyone wants this to hurry up and blow over but many are refusing to stay home. Way too many people out around metairie today as I traversed to and from Rouses.

I guess the virus hasnt killed enough people locally yet to take serious. As other posters were saying, saw many chilling on the sidewalks having a nice conversation less than 6ft apart.

Its an odd thing to witness: Everyone wants this to hurry up and blow over but many are refusing to stay home. Way too many people out around metairie today as I traversed to and from Rouses.

I guess the virus hasnt killed enough people locally yet to take serious. As other posters were saying, saw many chilling on the sidewalks having a nice conversation less than 6ft apart.
The weekends are terrible from what I'm gathering. I usually get my weekly groceries on Fridays. I've now switched to grocery pickup on Wednesdays. Middle of the week seems relatively dead.

Very good. I don't have the actual bottle (got some from someone who had a big bottle) and wasn't sure what it said on the actual bottle. I'll just be spraying the kitchen floor (linoleum) so I'm not worried about that getting bleach stained.
2 tablespoons per quart. Standard food service ratio

The weekends are terrible from what I'm gathering. I usually get my weekly groceries on Fridays. I've now switched to grocery pickup on Wednesdays. Middle of the week seems relatively dead.
As a retiree, I never shop on weekends. Now, more than ever, it's a good idea to avoid crowds while shopping. The problem is that it doesn't take much brainpower to figure this out, so everyone will be shopping on weekdays if they can.

How irritating it is to see a freaking Lysol ad on TV when none of the stores have it. :rant:

I did notice a lot of fellow seniors not observing the 6 feet rule. Ladies, leave your husband home. Or vice versa. The extra spouse/s.o. is just taking up space that could be used for others to distance themselves. :jpshakehead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom