COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (30 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A group of neighbors just invited us to come over to sit around and have a few drinks. They can't understand that all it takes is for one person to be contagious and then everyone is. They said they will keep their distance and limit it to only 10. To make maters worse is all of us are retirement age. We will sit at home instead.
Sounds like you have ignorant / stubborn / arrogant neighbors. I hope you politely explained to them the explicit reasons why this gathering they want to have is a bad idea.

The bottom of this article also states La governor only being able to source 192 out of 12,000 requested ventilators.
I know that a bunch of different companies / factories are cranking up production, but what's the ETA on those getting made and sent out? I can't imagine enough will go out in time.

I wouldn’t disagree with the lower end, but as much as Fauci is the best in the business he does always seem to present the worst case scenario. I’m not buying to 200,000 as of yet. 100,000 I can see easily.
FWIW, the UW model predicts a worst-case maximum of 160,000 deaths in the US.

I just want to know why people can't stay the fork at home.

This has to be an intelligence problem. It's real easy, if you don't need food or medical supplies, stay the fork at home.

It is a combination of intelligence problems, young people that are either defiant or think this is only an old person disease and don't realize they're still dangerous as a spreader, and just flat out ignorance of people not paying close enough attention to it.

I truly doubt most of the people second-lining yesterday have been watching the news 3+ hours every day for the past 2 1/2 weeks or are paying close attention to Coronavirus-twitter. Just a hunch. To many, this is just simply a flu that kills only old people, and they don't have the brain capacity to digest and analyze numbers, spread rates, and line graphs, or, in some cases, prefer to turn a blind eye to it to make it go away.

A group of neighbors just invited us to come over to sit around and have a few drinks. They can't understand that all it takes is for one person to be contagious and then everyone is. They said they will keep their distance and limit it to only 10. To make maters worse is all of us are retirement age. We will sit at home instead.

You should see every snoball stand in my area. They look like they're hosting beach parties.

It's pay walled, but this is the gist of it..

German researchers plan to introduce coronavirus ‘immunity certificates’ to facilitate a proper transition into post-lockdown life, as Chancellor Angela Merkel’s handling of the crisis has led to a boost in the polls.

The antibodies will indicate that the test participants have had the virus, have healed and are thereby ready to re-enter society and the workforce. The researchers plan to test 100,000 members of the public at a time, issuing documentation to those who have overcome the virus.

The researchers will use the information to determine how to properly end the county’s lockdown, including re-opening schools and allowing mass gatherings.

It is a combination of intelligence problems, young people that are either defiant or think this is only an old person disease and don't realize they're still dangerous as a spreader, and just flat out ignorance of people not paying close enough attention to it.

I truly doubt most of the people second-lining yesterday have been watching the news 3+ hours every day for the past 2 1/2 weeks or are paying close attention to Coronavirus-twitter. Just a hunch. To many, this is just simply a flu that kills only old people, and they don't have the brain capacity to digest and analyze numbers, spread rates, and line graphs, or, in some cases, prefer to turn a blind eye to it to make it go away.
I have to remind myself that I was aware of the virus in the early days but very nonchalant about it. I saw this thread in the EE but didn't take a peek at it until mid February. BClemms' unique climate study and Superchuck's very informative posts caught my attention for good. I mentioned it to my wife and she said that she had been starting to become alarmed at about the same time by following news sources.

So, on one hand I get angry about the apathy or total disregard by many, but I'm not sure how long it would have taken me to wake up, if not for finding this thread. And if you had the hours (maybe you do now) to read it from the start, you'll notice how many converted to taking this seriously. Some came on to bash and ridicule the "overreaction" and "false panic" and in time realized this is a microscopic bad mofo.

Last edited:
So, on one hand I get angry about the apathy or total disregard by many, but I'm not sure how long it would have taken me to wake up, if not for finding this thread. And if you had the hours (maybe you do now) to read it from the start, you'll notice how many converted to taking this seriously. Some came on to bash and ridicule the "overreaction" and "false panic" and in time realized this is a microscopic bad mofo.

Oh I freely admit that I was one of those who thought people were over blowing it. But if we want to curtail the spread we MUST isolate for at least a good 8 weeks.

That being said, the logical side of me looks at the numbers and keeps thinking it's not near as bad as stated. (But we still have to isolate to stop it)

Right now we are currently at .03% infected in this country. It's a tiny number, and it boggles my mind how they can throw out the numbers of 100,000-200,000 dead. But I guess if we don't isolate that could very well happen.

Stay at home. Wash your hands (Mine are raw). Change your habits. If you have to go out for necessities, wear gloves and a mask. Practice physical distancing. Disinfect surfaces with whatever you have. Take it seriously.

It's not complicated, but too many people are not taking it seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom