COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (18 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm bumping this up because of the discussion about reinfection and immunity.
The old saying "you can't catch the same cold twice" is true. The body builds an immunity and will fight off another exposure. The
problem is cold and flu viruses mutate. They adapt to survive just like us humans

I'm bumping this up because of the discussion about reinfection and immunity.

This does raise a question I have though. I was vaccinated against small pox way back in 1969. There is some debate among the
medical community whether I have a lifetime immunity or not. Some say I would need a booster shot like tetanus. others say since
the virus has not mutated since it was eradicated I'm fine. I'm not volunteering to test either hypothesis though.

Dear antivax dips**ts. Measles isn't as harmless as you think.

Congratulations, if your kid had measles, something like Covid-19 is likely to kill them.

Sounds like bullshirt. It’s a virus. The body’s immune system has a memory. No way it comes back worse. That’s just a panic post

There could be mutations with multiple strains, like flu. Getting flu once and recovering does not make you totally immune from flu.

From the NYT link above:
There remains deep uncertainty about the new coronavirus' mortality rate, with the high-end estimate that it is up to 20 times that of the flu, but some estimates go as low as 0.16 percent for those affected outside of China’s overwhelmed Hubei province. About on par with the flu.

Not yet proven, but this is something I have been suspecting. Something is different about what was going on in Wuhan concerning this virus early on, and those initial mortality rates are not going to hold up.

Again, still in the realm of belief on my part and not firm knowledge. Nevertheless.

From the NYT link above:

Not yet proven, but this is something I have been suspecting. Something is different about what was going on in Wuhan concerning this virus early on, and those initial mortality rates are not going to hold up.

Again, still in the realm of belief on my part and not firm knowledge. Nevertheless.
I don't know, there have been 4 deaths outside China and only about 500 cases, with dozens in critical condition. My math pretty much eliminates the lower end.

Like I have said a few times. I really don't think it's that deadly until it overwhelms healthcare systems. The flu doesn't stick 20% of people in the hospital on ventilation. There are only so many ventilators and beds available. We like to think the US is so much better than a place like China but I'm not sure our capacity for something like this is all that higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom