COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (9 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any word on the effectiveness of the blood plasma therapy in New York?

It occurs to me that even if plasma therapy is effective, it's not the kind of thing you can do at home.
We're still working to avoid overwhelming our hospitals.

Interesting article about how it most likely originated, attacks our body, and how we need to change our habits globally:

Very interesting article indeed, but I think some will see it as an attack on Chinese culture by what the author is saying toward the end.

It occurs to me that even if plasma therapy is effective, it's not the kind of thing you can do at home.
We're still working to avoid overwhelming our hospitals.

True but if it is effective you get quicker turnover on hospital beds and ventilators which would be a huge plus

Somebody might want to tell WHO that.
I don't know who to believe tbh.

I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding of what airborne means. The virus is transmitted to people via sweat, saliva, etc. It is possible for those things to be in the air, such as via a sneeze or cough, hence it is possible for the virus to be in the air.

Airborne means that the virus can travel through relatively dry air conditions, through air ducts, through wind, etc. That is what COVID-19 cannot do. The virus is not "airborne" in this sense. If it was, that would mean you could catch it merely by opening you front door and letting fresh air into your house, rendering a lot of the safety measures we are instituting moot.

So it's more like a stay-at-home suggestion? :unsure:

This morning on the way to work (I am in NC and work in manufacturing that feeds construction so am somehow essential) the digital signs over the interstate did tell me to “Stay Home.”

What has me especially POed about this is that our engineering group is behind schedule and my Plant is likely to run out of work for a week or two in the next 5-10 days. Don’t know why I’m here with a bunch of people who say they are concerned but evidently can’t tell the difference between 2 and 6 feet.

I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding of what airborne means. The virus is transmitted to people via sweat, saliva, etc. It is possible for those things to be in the air, such as via a sneeze or cough, hence it is possible for the virus to be in the air.

Airborne means that the virus can travel through relatively dry air conditions, through air ducts, through wind, etc. That is what COVID-19 cannot do. The virus is not in the airborne in this sense. If it was, that would mean you could catch it merely by opening you front door and letting fresh air into your house, rendering a lot of the safety measures we are instituting moot.

Sure, but then how do we explain what happened to the choir group who got sickened? And the samples from air ducts and vents in hospitals testing positive for traces of CV19? Maybe the droplets are small enough and light enough to travel some distance? But if there's enough airflow, I imagine those droplets could hang in the air for a bit.

Quick comment on Florida. Their checkpoints are ridiculous. You have law enforcement officers checking passengers and vehicles without protection, or at best bandanas for masks and they're constantly talking to passengers from less than 6 feet away.

This is a terrible idea and I think it's effect will be rather limited because there are already enough sick people in the state to deal with. Beaches still open and no statewide stay at home order that I'm aware of at this point.

I don't get Florida's mitigation strategy at all.

Last edited:
Quick comment on Florida. Their checkpoints are ridiculous. You have law enforcement officers checking passengers and vehicles without protection, or at best bandanas for masks and they're constantly talking to passengers from less than 6 feet away.

This is a terrible idea and I think it's not effect will be rather limited because there are already enough sick people in the state to deal with. Beaches still open and no statewide stay at home order that I'm aware of at this point.

I don't get Florida's mitigation strategy at all.

Most folks don’t get Florida so you’re pretty much like the rest of us.

My daughter is in a nursing program in college and is seriously considering a career as an NP.

If she can gather the patience to do it all at once, she will be set up extremely well. Once you hit RN, you can only go up in a couple of ways. Administration, or go get your NP. Starting out with it would be great.

Interesting article , I can’t imagine not knowing anything about this, then getting hit with it all at once
===================

LE PECQ, France (AP) — Of a world in coronavirus turmoil, they may know little or nothing.

Submariners stealthily cruising the ocean deeps, purposefully shielded from worldly worries to encourage undivided focus on their top-secret missions of nuclear deterrence, may be among the last pockets of people anywhere who are still blissfully unaware of how the pandemic is turning life upside down.

Mariners aboard ballistic submarines are habitually spared bad news while underwater to avoid undermining their morale, say current and former officers who served aboard France’s nuclear-armed subs.

So any crews that left port before the virus spread around the globe are likely being kept in the dark about the extent of the rapidly unfurling crisis by their commanders until their return, they say.

“They won’t know,” said retired Adm. Dominique Salles, who commanded the French ballistic submarine squadronfrom 2003-2006. “The boys need to be completely available for their mission.”

Speaking exclusively to The Associated Press, Salles said he believes submariners will likely only be told of the pandemic as they head back to port, in the final two days of their mission..........

Interesting article , I can’t imagine not knowing anything about this, then getting hit with it all at once
===================

LE PECQ, France (AP) — Of a world in coronavirus turmoil, they may know little or nothing.

Submariners stealthily cruising the ocean deeps, purposefully shielded from worldly worries to encourage undivided focus on their top-secret missions of nuclear deterrence, may be among the last pockets of people anywhere who are still blissfully unaware of how the pandemic is turning life upside down.

Mariners aboard ballistic submarines are habitually spared bad news while underwater to avoid undermining their morale, say current and former officers who served aboard France’s nuclear-armed subs.

So any crews that left port before the virus spread around the globe are likely being kept in the dark about the extent of the rapidly unfurling crisis by their commanders until their return, they say.

“They won’t know,” said retired Adm. Dominique Salles, who commanded the French ballistic submarine squadronfrom 2003-2006. “The boys need to be completely available for their mission.”

Speaking exclusively to The Associated Press, Salles said he believes submariners will likely only be told of the pandemic as they head back to port, in the final two days of their mission..........

This doesn't surprise me. Had a cousin who spent a lot of time on subs. They didn't get much news during their missions from what I remember.

Sure, but then how do we explain what happened to the choir group who got sickened? And the samples from air ducts and vents in hospitals testing positive for traces of CV19? Maybe the droplets are small enough and light enough to travel some distance? But if there's enough airflow, I imagine those droplets could hang in the air for a bit.

Correct. They're traveling as saliva/sweat, not as a dry, airborne virus in a classical sense.

I'd imagine what happened with the choir involved a combination of natural spit-talking along with folks touching surfaces and natural sweat particles being left behind. Just because they sanitized their hands doesn't mean it didn't get into their system some other type of way.

===================

My Dad had many deployments aboard the Ballistic missile subs in the 60's and 70's. I can remember my Mom being able to send a message once per month. It had to be no more than 30 words and could not have any bad news.

Interesting article about how it most likely originated, attacks our body, and how we need to change our habits globally:

Very interesting article indeed, but I think some will see it as an attack on Chinese culture by what the author is saying toward the end.

It's a good synopsis of the science behind how bat viruses can become a human pandemic. I think it's important to note the difference between a scientific explanation and an attack on culture - if the virology research shows that the virus jumped to an intermediate mammal host and that facilitated the jump to humans - that's pure science. If the public health response to that scientific evidence is to conclude that wet markets present particularly ripe opportunities for dangerous animal-borne viruses to jump to humans (due to the proximity of so many live, likely stressed or even ill mammal hosts), that's also IMO a science-driven evaluation.

It doesn't become an attack until someone uses that information to intend to attack the culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom