COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (36 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read a paper a few weeks ago doubting that exposure through the eyes is a concern, I can't find it right now. But basically some viruses have pathology in the eye (like they can cause pink eye or some other eye problem) but getting the virus into your general system through the eye is "plausible but unlikely."

Here's a similar article (what I had read was an actual medical paper):

This is something I've wondered about but have not really seen addressed. Isn't it possible for those coughed, sneezed, or aerosolized droplets to simply land on the eyeball itself? It's moist and seems like the perfect landing spot without needing to be inhaled or transferred by hand.
From this article:
Interesting article about how it most likely originated, attacks our body, and how we need to change our habits globally:

"CoV-2 wants to do two things: bind to a human cell and then get inside it. The virus binds to a cellular receptor – think of them as little antennae that stick off the side of human cells – called ACE2.

ACE2 receptors are designed to listen for signals that change our blood pressure. Fine adjustments to blood pressure are really important in our lungs, so our lung cells are covered in ACE2 receptors."

So the virus needs ACE2 to bind. How much ACE2 is there in the eyeball?

Good deal. Would be interesting to see the combined effect. A clear winner would be that wearing a mask would limit cough and sneeze distance. Barrier to initial trajectory and velocity.

Yep, it's sort of the same idea with flattening the curve. We're just trying to slow this thing down enough to a manageable level. It's not perfect, but it does reduce exposure enough that fewer people will end up getting infected.

I hear what you're saying, but if the masks aren't widely available for people to wear properly, then that's just another preventative measure taken away from people who want to use them properly. They're currently not readily available to a lot of people, and I think they should be. And despite all you stated, i do think wearing them, even improperly, does make it less likely to get infected. If nothing else, the masks help remind people not to touch their faces. I just don't see any good reason to discourage people from wearing masks even if they're not perfectly keeping the virus out.
Would also seem to work well as a visible reminder to physically distance yourself from the other person.

Yeah, all the beaches here in Cali are closed. I went for a drive yesterday along sunset cliffs and in Ocean Beach. They have the beach blocked off with yellow police tape and officers out patrolling to ensure people aren't going anyways.
At least you can still drive out there and look at the beautiful scenery. I'd like to think that brings a bit of peace and tranquility?

Until there are enough masks to meet the demand that would require, this really isn't feasible.
Right. At this point in time, not enough people have access to N95 masks. It's just better for people to stay at home.

Right. At this point in time, not enough people have access to N95 masks. It's just better for people to stay at home.

My Mom called me last night. She's a bit terrified to go out. She has pretty much all the risk factors for this thing. I'm trying to find some masks to ship to her.

Grain of salt though, as that whole village is essentially an extremist cult wing of Hassidic Judaism, so they're a little bit cray.

I really want this to be true, though.

Sounds like it was written by the same guy who is working on getting me my 50 billion inheritance from Nigeria. What I have seen is that for patients that have less than critical it has some positive signs. However it’s not a peer reviewed or controlled in anything I’ve seen. However in the mentality of this is if it might work they should at least try. However, it does come with risks, but then with Covid-19 it’s not like there isn’t a bunch of risk anyway. So.
The one I’m really curious and hopeful for is the failed Ebola antiviral that starts with the R. That hopefully will be a difference maker. Hopefully.

Sounds like it was written by the same guy who is working on getting me my 50 billion inheritance from Nigeria. What I have seen is that for patients that have less than critical it has some positive signs. However it’s not a peer reviewed or controlled in anything I’ve seen. However in the mentality of this is if it might work they should at least try. However, it does come with risks, but then with Covid-19 it’s not like there isn’t a bunch of risk anyway. So.
The one I’m really curious and hopeful for is the failed Ebola antiviral that starts with the R. That hopefully will be a difference maker. Hopefully.

It's not just that doctor though. Both France and our FDA seem to believe there's at least some evidence that it works.

Grain of salt though, as that whole village is essentially an extremist cult wing of Hassidic Judaism, so they're a little bit cray.

I really want this to be true, though.

I really want it to be true too but look at the source it came from. It's being picked up by all the extreme right wing websites with the same exact wording and regurgitated with Twitter bots and only appeared right after Trump did his treatment press conference last week.

Truth is, this is a primary care doctor whose office is in a strip mall and he's touting a cure of a virus without even being in a hospital setting. I'm not saying it wont work but this dude claiming 100% success rate is kind of like listening to that guy that tells you about the time aliens abducted him.

I think you are missing my point. If everyone wore some type of mask, you would not need a N95 as much right now.

A surgical mask is used to protect the patient. "A surgical mask, also known as a procedure mask, medical mask or simply as a face mask, is intended to be worn by health professionals during surgery and during nursing to catch the bacteria shed in liquid droplets and aerosols from the wearer's mouth and nose."

A surgical mask is nothing more than a material to catch the aerosols and any material can do this. If everyone did this then the need for the N95 is cut down considerably and the public health improves considerably. A specialized mask is not needed if everyone is required to wear a mask of some sort to stop their aerosol emission.

It's not just that doctor though. Both France and our FDA seem to believe there's at least some evidence that it works.

Read the study from France. It had 100% success rate on a very small number of patients. More importantly, any patients that worsened and had to be moved to ICU were discontinued from the "trial" and were not counted in the final results because they "didn't complete treatment". It literally took the people that got better and counted them as successful and then took the patients that got worse and removed them from the figures.

The FDA approved a grant and study to find out if it has any merit.

I personally think any drug combo will have very limtied impact. The odds of finding one are just pretty remote. I do think the plasma therapies have a chance at some success though.

I knew DeWine would make it happen. He jumped all over it getting on the phone with the FDA and white house to get it pushed through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom