COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (23 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate sensational articles like in the LA Times today. 25 year old pharmacy tech dies. Had no risk factors. How do they know? I mean seriously. The way medical histories are so guarded anymore how would they know? Heck the kid never even went to the doctor. How do we know he wasn’t a 400 pound drug user who worked as a pharmacist? Come on news media. This is bad enough quit stoking the panic.

I hope they do a very deep dive on the vaping/smoking history of all the mysterious young patients that die without any documented underlying condition.

I'm hoping that one good thing from COVID will be to bury vaping once and for all

I hope they do a very deep dive on the vaping/smoking history of all the mysterious young patients that die without any documented underlying condition.

I'm hoping that one good thing from COVID will be to bury vaping once and for all
Exactly. There are lots of risks that don’t show up as risks.
Of course I’d be absolutely lying if I tried to say that my hour plus a day I’ve been exercising doesn’t have a bit of motivation to it. Unfortunately being built like a tree stump does have its disadvantages on a height weight chart.

That isn't sufficient data to support the claim you're making. I actually don't think there is data to support the claim you're making, at least not yet.

Death rates are wholly different than overall hospitalization rates. And there are plenty of people who don't get hospitalized that are still getting extremely sick. Yes, having underlying conditions make you more susceptible to severe complications, but the idea that this is simply a disease that's hitting people who are already sick is not true and has not ever been true.

I'm not suggesting in any way that this is not a serious problem or that it's only hitting people who are already sick. Clearly there are regular exceptions, and that is reflected in the data I shared. Additionally, the speed of spread and sheer number of people involved make even those populations with lower probability of trouble more pronounced and more of a stress on the hospital systems. There are other observations and trends that will come out over time to help us understand how this is all going down. But I'm pretty confident is saying that the most severe cases, including those cases that get hospitalized, generally have underlying conditions. While the percentages I provided are specific to death rates, it also anecdotally corresponds to the people in the ICU beds generally speaking.

Ontario saw a jump in cases by 351 - the biggest single day increase since this started.

Of course, the testing also increased substantially and it was our biggest day of testing and testing results.

Ironic

91548202_1616862531798711_4376855309969260544_o.jpg

I'm not suggesting in any way that this is not a serious problem or that it's only hitting people who are already sick. Clearly there are regular exceptions, and that is reflected in the data I shared. Additionally, the speed of spread and sheer number of people involved make even those populations with lower probability of trouble more pronounced and more of a stress on the hospital systems. There are other observations and trends that will come out over time to help us understand how this is all going down. But I'm pretty confident is saying that the most severe cases, including those cases that get hospitalized, generally have underlying conditions. While the percentages I provided are specific to death rates, it also anecdotally corresponds to the people in the ICU beds generally speaking.

Like you're saying, it's plainly obvious that young(ish) healthy people who are dying are the outliers. I'm fairly confident when this is all said and done and the data is analyzed, there will be one or a few traits that will be found amongst the vast majority of said outliers. Whether it's smoking, vaping, high blood pressure, NSAID usage, obesity, blood type, or any of the other things people have speculated on - there's something. When the death rate for people under 50 is something like 1 in 200, the 1 in the 200 is an outlier. And the human body isn't dart throws - there's not enough room for randomness to chalk it up to bad luck for that 1 in 200.

There will be a reason or reason(s) for the younger people who died. No idea what it'll be. Could be something totally out of people's control. But the majority will be explained.. eventually.

Last edited:

"'To ensure that we can defend the homeland despite this pandemic, our command and control watch teams here in the headquarters split into multiple shifts and portions of our watch team began working from Cheyenne Mountain Air Force Station, creating a third team at an alternate location as well,' Air Force General Terrence O'Shaughnessy, head of U.S. Northern Command and NORAD, said during a Facebook Livetown hall with those under his command."

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom