COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (7 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they are still clinging, nothing short of zombies will convince them
Maybe not even that. I could see them watching zombies eat people and cursing the media the entire time

I watched an epidemiologist talk about how there are always people that think everything is an overreaction. The problem with an outbreak like this is that to slow the spread you need drastic action. Then when those actions work those same people point and say "see, it wasn't that bad." Even though it was the actions taken that made it better than it would have been otherwise.

Straight from the mouth of Gov Edwards. We could run out of ventilatiors by April 4th. Additional beds being set up at convention center.

Yes, he said that like a week ago. It's been known for days. It doesn't change the fact that Mike Freeman is not a credible human being.

At what point should we see a noticeable effect (in the numbers) of all of the shutdowns, social distancing, control measures, etc.? Kinda looks like a runaway freight train with no end in sight.

I have trouble believing these. For example, last number I heard today was that Louisiana, statewide, for all the hospitalized Covid19 patients - only 385 are currently on ventilators. Our governer is saying we will run out in about a week and need 14,000 more. Explain to me how we come to that number.

As for the "shortage" of hospital beds, again, the numbers do not add up. At all. I call bull on the media and fear mongers who would like nothing more than to push that narrative.

In Palm Beach County in Florida, there are 514 cases of Covid19, yet of these, only 54 are hospitalized - not due to a shortage of beds, but because those are the ones requiring hospitalization.

In California, where you'd expect there to be much more rapid spread due to all the air travel from Asia, of the average 700+ deaths that happen every day in California (not counting abortions), they average less than 2 per day to Covid19.

In Chicago, where there have been over 100 violent deaths in the last two months, there have been less than 80 Covid19 related deaths.

Covid19 is serious, but it isn't black plague serious, and these bed shortages / ventilator shortages are being extremely exaggerated. The reporting has been awfully quiet on the amount of people who are hospitalized, the amount of people who don't need hospitalization, and the amount of people who have recovered without having received any special medical treatment.

I'm not sure if this post deserves a response because there's just so much wrong here. Completely ignoring trends, what's happening in the world and all over the country, and the fact that attempting to explain all of this in a moment in time is ridiculously short-sighted. Disappointing.

Article states Louisiana has 2,750 ventilators, and of those, 75% are unused and available. How do we need an additional 14,000 in the next week?

Do you understand exponential growth?

Are all of the ventilators at the same location as all of the patients?

And look at the date of the article, March 28th. The numbers of people in need have now changed.

I watched an epidemiologist talk about how there are always people that think everything is an overreaction. The problem with an outbreak like this is that to slow the spread you need drastic action. Then when those actions work those same people point and say "see, it wasn't that bad." Even though it was the actions taken that made it better than it would have been otherwise.

This is a result of people not paying attention and lack the ability to see the larger picture.

At what point should we see a noticeable effect (in the numbers) of all of the shutdowns, social distancing, control measures, etc.? Kinda looks like a runaway freight train with no end in sight.
I think we see it start to really flatten in next week or two. Less because of mitigation and more because of climate. Just think it will be a really long curve because of slow reaction and half efforts.

Can't say this is surprising. Just sad that so many lost their lives because China didn't know what they were dealing with early on and tried to minimize what has ultimately been the worst epidemic of our lifetimes.

The "positives" being added today are from people who tested a week (or more?) ago. Which means they were exposed a week or two prior to that. Thus, the need to plan ahead. What we do now will affect what we have to deal with in two-three weeks. Stay home.

Edit: Also, those who require ventilators use them for 10 or so days.

The "positives" being added today are from people who tested a week (or more?) ago. Which means they were exposed a week or two prior to that. Thus, the need to plan ahead. What we do now will affect what we have to deal with in two-three weeks. Stay home.

Indeed, we likely won't see deaths peak until a week or two after cases peak. And we haven't seen the curve bend very noticeably yet. It should start bending soon if mitigation continues.

Talk to me next week then.

FWIW, I hope we don't need em.

I'm just quoting you because your's is the last comment I see on the 14k ventilators. Gov Edwards addressed this in his press conference. It doesn't mean they need 14k more ventilators. He said they can't rely on a single vendor to produce all that the modeling indicates they will need. So instead, they're spreading the order to a few vendors to where the total reaches 14k, but it's not that they need that many.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom