COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (10 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing a lot of people in a lot of places citing medrxiv articles as if they’re totally settled science. They’re actually quite the opposite — educated speculation guiding ongoing, cutting-edge research. Some of the speculation will be upheld, but a strong majority of it won’t make the cut.

Not tossing the paper aside summarily ... but everything on medrxiv.org is a preprint — a preliminary, non-peer-reviewed study. Nothing you read there is near conclusive. Other researchers need to replicate the study, other possible explanations for the preliminary observations need to be evaluated, and then confirmed or ruled out.

Yes, entirely true.

But on the scale of sources it’s somewhere in the middle. It’s still more credible than reports about things doctors are saying or seeing.

This is a bit misleading as the Chinese researcher said 'could get', not will get covid.

Also, being alarmist like this only serves for people to hoard supplies and that normally ends up hurting those who cannot afford to hoard.

Then if that 60% number does come to fruition, the drastic differences between the haves and have nots will be even worse.

I don't think what I posted was alarmist. I was simply stating something a researcher said could happen. The reason I posted it was to highlight how silly it is to be comparing this to other health related issues. It doesn't do anyone any good.

Being alarmist is just as dangerous as downplaying it.

I don't think what I posted was alarmist. I was simply stating something a researcher said could happen. The reason I posted it was to highlight how silly it is to be comparing this to other health related issues. It doesn't do anyone any good.

Being alarmist is just as dangerous as downplaying it.

I wasn't downplaying anything, just pointing out the researcher used the word COULD and you left out that word and stated it that 60% of the world population was going to contract covid.

Sounds like bullshirt. It’s a virus. The body’s immune system has a memory. No way it comes back worse. That’s just a panic post
I'm forking hope so. Because if it can do that, we're screwed.

Sounds like bullshirt. It’s a virus. The body’s immune system has a memory. No way it comes back worse. That’s just a panic post
Plus there’s no corroboration from traditional media. Any kind of game-changing info is going to be trumpeted by every source far & wide. No one’s going to have secret info that other media never gets ahold of.

So far I haven't seen this confirmed by any credible sources. But there was a paper a few years ago about a SARS vaccine causing lung pathology upon infection with SARS in mice. It was similar to lung pathology seen in children after an RSV vaccine trial. So it looks like there is speculation that potential reinfection could cause a similar lung pathology.

At this point it is not known if reinfection is possible. China is releasing the recovered and making them stay in quarantine in their homes in case there is a risk of reinfection. We don't know if the antibodies last long term yet. Many times they do but sometimes they only last a few weeks or months.

I wasn't downplaying anything, just pointing out the researcher used the word COULD and you left out that word and stated it that 60% of the world population was going to contract covid.

Sorry, I thought it was implied that it "could" be 60% since it hasn't happened yet. That was also why I posted a link to the article so people could read it.

I wasn't blaming you for downplaying it. My post was in response to the people that keep comparing yearly death stats of the flu to this novel virus that we still have no idea of how it will play out.

Edit: I went back and edited my post to reflect that if we are unable to control it we are in deep trouble.

cytokine storm is a bodies overreaction to a primary infection. A second infection like this of a stable virus (so far) isn’t going to happen, nor is a cytokine storm going to happen on a secondary infection unless this virus is completely different than any other virus that’s ever been seen. Ill believe it when I see it, but there is no way, in my opinion, that a second infection by the same virus is going to happen to begin with, nor will it result in this sort of reaction. Now, ok maybe I could be wrong, but no highly doubt it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom