COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: 311,357 cases and 8,452 deaths in US) (58 Viewers)

Eeyore

Flucifer
Reaction score
Sticky Post
UPDATED TRACKER LINKS:

It shouldn't be a big deal but with a large number of people unable to afford healthcare, and the anti vax crowd growing there's a small chance that this could be interesting.

Last edited:

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

PurpleBlack&Gold

FOOTBALL PLEASE!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Can you summarize for those who aren't signed up?
"The cruise ship had been shunned at port after port for fear it might carry the coronavirus, but when the Westerdam arrived in Cambodia on Thursday, the prime minister greeted its passengers with flowers.

Amid assurances that the ship was disease free, hundreds of elated passengers disembarked. Some went sightseeing, visiting beaches and restaurants and getting massages. Others traveled on to destinations around the world.

One, however, did not make it much farther than the thermal scanners at the Kuala Lumpur airport in Malaysia. The passenger, an American, was stopped on Saturday, and later tested positive for the coronavirus.

On Sunday, with passengers already headed for destinations on at least three continents, health officials were scrambling to determine how big a problem they now have — and how to stop it from getting bigger. "

"More than 140 passengers from the ship flew to Malaysia, and all but the American woman who tested positive and her husband were eventually allowed to continue on to their destinations, including the United States, the Netherlands and Australia, officials said. Over 1,000 other passengers took charter flights to Phnom Penh, the capital of Cambodia, and were in various stages of transit home, the cruise line said. "

"As of Sunday, 233 passengers and 747 crew members were still on the ship docked at Sihanoukville, Cambodia, Holland America said. After Malaysia’s announcement that a passenger was infected, the remaining passengers and crew members were restricted to the ship, and buses that had been scheduled to transport them remained parked nearby. "

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
"The cruise ship had been shunned at port after port for fear it might carry the coronavirus, but when the Westerdam arrived in Cambodia on Thursday, the prime minister greeted its passengers with flowers.

Amid assurances that the ship was disease free, hundreds of elated passengers disembarked. Some went sightseeing, visiting beaches and restaurants and getting massages. Others traveled on to destinations around the world.

One, however, did not make it much farther than the thermal scanners at the Kuala Lumpur airport in Malaysia. The passenger, an American, was stopped on Saturday, and later tested positive for the coronavirus.

On Sunday, with passengers already headed for destinations on at least three continents, health officials were scrambling to determine how big a problem they now have — and how to stop it from getting bigger. "

"More than 140 passengers from the ship flew to Malaysia, and all but the American woman who tested positive and her husband were eventually allowed to continue on to their destinations, including the United States, the Netherlands and Australia, officials said. Over 1,000 other passengers took charter flights to Phnom Penh, the capital of Cambodia, and were in various stages of transit home, the cruise line said. "

"As of Sunday, 233 passengers and 747 crew members were still on the ship docked at Sihanoukville, Cambodia, Holland America said. After Malaysia’s announcement that a passenger was infected, the remaining passengers and crew members were restricted to the ship, and buses that had been scheduled to transport them remained parked nearby. "
Welp...this is just...:covri:

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Enjoy this beauty. Make sure you read the whole thing on Twitter rather than just this first part. I don't even wanna know how long it took him to put all this together.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Enjoy this beauty. Make sure you read the whole thing on Twitter rather than just this first part. I don't even wanna know how long it took him to put all this together.

Well, I read all of that. It's an interesting conspiracy theory. I'm not sure I buy all of that though. To say all of the diseases he listed were results of bio warfare seems unlikely to me.

That said, he certainly framed it in a way that sounds convincing.

PurpleBlack&Gold

FOOTBALL PLEASE!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I read all of that. It's an interesting conspiracy theory. I'm not sure I buy all of that though. To say all of the diseases he listed were results of bio warfare seems unlikely to me.

That said, he certainly framed it in a way that sounds convincing.
I think he meant they were studying them for use as potential bioweapons.

Last edited:

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
This study is potentially really damning. Take it with a grain of salt as it hasn't been peer reviewed yet and they are working with less than ideal data. However, the study shows the virus spreads just as easily in high humidity (tropical) conditions as your typical cold and dry weather associated with the flu.

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
you’d think, but medical professionals occasionally had a god complex where they feel they are above these things. Look at the transmission rates for all sorts of stuff in hospitals.There’s a huge difference between standards and practice. Certainly for a head of a hospital who probably hasn’t actively worked with patients for a while and is generally no more than a manager at this point in their career. While the tweet has been taken down, I assume probably older, probably smokes, and who knows what else. Without knowing the physical condition of him hard to say. Like the guy who the news said was heathy in the Philippines. The guy had the flu, had a strep or staph infection in his lungs (forget which) and then got this virus. While at one point he was healthy, any of the three are a tough go of it and the combo of the three is far from “healthy”
I would imagine these doctors are also under a lot of stress and very fatigued. The same with their nurses. Both have been proven
to lower the bodies immune system's ability to fight off infection.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 30, Guests: 20)

Headlines

Top Bottom