COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (11 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here we go, yolo:

I wonder how much this remdisivir will cost and how fast will they be able to make it, if it proves effective?

If I was a horrible person, I would be buying 10pks of N95 masks and price gouging on eBay. Amazon will probably start shutting down accounts. I’m seeing 300% mark up on sites.

I just saw these on Amazon, they’re Prime eligible but would sadly, arrive the day *after* Mardi Gras...

E0E1284D-8CC6-471A-BDDF-776C63B0905D.jpeg

But seriously, i have to catch a flight in 6 days, and since all the regular surgical masks seem to be out of stock online, i actually did purchase these two.. they’ll arrive tomorrow, i’ll see which one i like better, hopefully one of them will work decently.

228C45BE-8D2A-480F-B6AB-75F12B9FA801.jpeg

C5E5A42D-2867-4685-B5E3-1CD79EB31794.jpeg

Do most of you not live in the New Orleans area? The coronavirus news is getting no run here. People aren’t talking about it. The paper only runs wire-service reprints buried in the back of the front section.

Lately, it’s been all Mardi Gras, and the Hard Rock collapse, and Mayor Cantrell, and car break-ins, etc. Coronavirus is just totally off the radar here in New Orleans.

I bet there’s still lots and lots of masks available at local stores. Maybe a few people have bought them in big bunches, but I doubt it’s been very many. If people are prepping here, they’re doing it quietly.

It all depends on your sources of news. New Orleans was distracted for the first day of what I see as the coming panic. Only one major news source is still downplaying the threat of this virus.

Do most of you not live in the New Orleans area? The coronavirus news is getting no run here. People aren’t talking about it. The paper only runs wire-service reprints buried in the back of the front section.

Lately, it’s been all Mardi Gras, and the Hard Rock collapse, and Mayor Cantrell, and car break-ins, etc. Coronavirus is just totally off the radar here in New Orleans.

I bet there’s still lots and lots of masks available at local stores. Maybe a few people have bought them in big bunches, but I doubt it’s been very many. If people are prepping here, they’re doing it quietly.

I have most of everything we would need but masks. Don’t want to go to the local Lowes because i might over do it on masks. My kids cant wear them and still not sure how much they would help. Definitely the most expensive prep item considering they only last a day or so and still not clear if effective for prevention. I know everything else is effective and will be used at one point.

Brandon, how does Montgomery, Alabama figure into your climate model? There is plenty of travel between South Korea and Montgomery due to the Hyundai plant.

I have wondered if masks could re-used? Throw em in a hot dryer for 10 minutes? Bake em in a 250-degree oven? Launder then in bleach? Soak them in boiling water, or in mild bleach solution?

I have wondered if masks could re-used? Throw em in a hot dryer for 10 minutes? Bake em in a 250-degree oven? Launder then in bleach? Soak them in boiling water, or in mild bleach solution?

They actually now have a lysol additive for laundry. We have been using it on towels and underwear. Wonder if throwing in a lysol wipe in laundry will have the same effect. Good question.

I’ll say this. I know someone who owns a respiratory therapy company and they had a run on masks after super bowl weekend. They were unaware about what was happening in China and sold the majority of their inventory at market price. The owner said they were all asian who bought the masks but that is questionable to me based on the person’s eyesight.

Brandon, how does Montgomery, Alabama figure into your climate model? There is plenty of travel between South Korea and Montgomery due to the Hyundai plant.
You probably don't want to know.

Mean temperature and average latitude of outbreak areas are close to Montgomery's and the 7 day forecast mean temperature.

The good news a lot of other factors like population density and low number of international traverlers help. Plus the temperature spread between highs and lows are bit wider than mean levels.

It's not a crystal ball or anything like that, just shows increased statistical probability. The data sets are still pretty minimal since it's so early in the virus history and there are so many variables that can't be accurately accounted for at this point. Also, it's like a wildfire model, without a spark it doesn't matter how high the potential is for fire spread.

I just wanted to post that with a time stamp to see how it does. If I posted that and the charts to social it could go viral and for all the wrong reasons. If it does verify though, want to have "public" record of it.

They actually now have a lysol additive for laundry. We have been using it on towels and underwear. Wonder if throwing in a lysol wipe in laundry will have the same effect. Good question.

Bleach would be the better additive. Don't over do it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom