COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (8 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This study is potentially really damning. Take it with a grain of salt as it hasn't been peer reviewed yet and they are working with less than ideal data. However, the study shows the virus spreads just as easily in high humidity (tropical) conditions as your typical cold and dry weather associated with the flu.

you’d think, but medical professionals occasionally had a god complex where they feel they are above these things. Look at the transmission rates for all sorts of stuff in hospitals.There’s a huge difference between standards and practice. Certainly for a head of a hospital who probably hasn’t actively worked with patients for a while and is generally no more than a manager at this point in their career. While the tweet has been taken down, I assume probably older, probably smokes, and who knows what else. Without knowing the physical condition of him hard to say. Like the guy who the news said was heathy in the Philippines. The guy had the flu, had a strep or staph infection in his lungs (forget which) and then got this virus. While at one point he was healthy, any of the three are a tough go of it and the combo of the three is far from “healthy”
I would imagine these doctors are also under a lot of stress and very fatigued. The same with their nurses. Both have been proven
to lower the bodies immune system's ability to fight off infection.

This study is potentially really damning. Take it with a grain of salt as it hasn't been peer reviewed yet and they are working with less than ideal data. However, the study shows the virus spreads just as easily in high humidity (tropical) conditions as your typical cold and dry weather associated with the flu.
I want to write papers like that. They took data that no one believes is true, and tried to fit it with weather data. There are so many mays in that paper I had to look out the window to see if anyone was dancing around a Maypole. Until they get this virus and actually test it’s survivability in air under various conditions it’s just a guess. However, being in the same family as the common cold I doubt weather will make much of a difference with it.

I want to write papers like that. They took data that no one believes is true, and tried to fit it with weather data. There are so many mays in that paper I had to look out the window to see if anyone was dancing around a Maypole. Until they get this virus and actually test it’s survivability in air under various conditions it’s just a guess. However, being in the same family as the common cold I doubt weather will make much of a difference with it.
Like I said, take with a big grain of salt for those reasons. However, it's what they have to go on. It's also what I think is probably the most important factor to the virus' spread.

I would imagine these doctors are also under a lot of stress and very fatigued. The same with their nurses. Both have been proven
to lower the bodies immune system's ability to fight off infection.

Excellent point. That's a tough spot to be in.

However, being in the same family as the common cold I doubt weather will make much of a difference with it.
No kidding. Who was thinking that warm weather was going to stop this thing in its tracks?

Meanwhile ... I think people are getting the wrong idea about "peer review". Laymen seem to think that a "study" is 99% legit, and peer review is just a formality -- that a "study" before peer review is pretty much golden but only needs a rubber stamp.

That's not so. Lots of thin research, lazy concepts, and even hare-brained ideas make it to pre-print. Replication of research and peer review matter a ton.

No kidding. Who was thinking that warm weather was going to stop this thing in its tracks?

I didn't think warm weather was going to stop it in its tracks, but warm weather does slow the progression of most communicable diseases simply because people aren't clustered inside quite so much. I don't think I've ever caught a cold in the summer.

Like I said, take with a big grain of salt for those reasons. However, it's what they have to go on.
"Grain of salt" means, to me, to totally discount something something until it's corroborated, replicated, and gets some consensus behind it. Why would we be required to act on incomplete -- or even bad -- information?

I didn't think warm weather was going to stop it in its tracks, but warm weather does slow the progression of most communicable diseases simply because people aren't clustered inside quite so much. I don't think I've ever caught a cold in the summer.
The "it lasts nine days on surfaces!" study (which didn't even study COVID-19, but that's rarely mentioned) did seem to demonstrate that various other coronaviruses do deactivate a lot faster on warm surfaces (room temperature and up) than on cool or cold ones. To be fair ... that study, too, is still a pre-print.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom