COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (7 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's getting hard to keep up with it now.

Two new cases in the UK, both contracted the virus outside the UK (Italy and Tenerife).

There's also reports of a woman in Japan testing positive for a second time after being cleared earlier in the month, which is a bit concerning. There were some similar report from China, I think this is the first one from outside though: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ests-positive-for-coronavirus-for-second-time

'“Once you have the infection, it could remain dormant and with minimal symptoms, and then you can get an exacerbation if it finds its way into the lungs,” said Professor Philip Tierno at New York University’s school of medicine.

He said much remained unknown about the virus: “I’m not certain that this is not bi-phasic, like anthrax,” he said, meaning the disease might appear to go away before recurring.'

Just to add to the chaos. Hopefully that's a rare occurrence.

Two new cases in the UK, both contracted the virus outside the UK (Italy and Tenerife).

There's also reports of a woman in Japan testing positive for a second time after being cleared earlier in the month, which is a bit concerning. There were some similar report from China, I think this is the first one from outside though: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ests-positive-for-coronavirus-for-second-time

'“Once you have the infection, it could remain dormant and with minimal symptoms, and then you can get an exacerbation if it finds its way into the lungs,” said Professor Philip Tierno at New York University’s school of medicine.

He said much remained unknown about the virus: “I’m not certain that this is not bi-phasic, like anthrax,” he said, meaning the disease might appear to go away before recurring.'

This thing's looking like a rough draft of Captain Trips.

After almost flattening for a couple of days, Japan has scores of new cases - returning its case chart to the upward trend you would expect.

Just when you thought this virus was letting us get to know it better, it goes and pulls this shirt.

Another personal account from Japan (same person that I have posted before):

Update: Tokyo 5pm Thursday Feb. 27

People this is how it is when cultures mix. And America has many cultures to deal with in times of panic.

Story to follow , but first:
1. 8 people now have died in Japan as of 5 pm (holy smackers)
2. 92 people in Fukuoka were tested today (results pending)
3. husband and wife infected: wife is in critical condition

New cases
3 in Okinawa
5 in Kumamoto
2 in Fukuoka

Nothing about other areas (I had to leave, so if other areas, I don't know)

STORY that just happened today
50 people line up to buy mask at the drug store. In the group was a family of Chinese. (different culture, you'll see why) As the store manager brief people in line, it was said to go to the back of the store to buy the mask. Japanese people walk, but the Chinese family just cut in front and then starting running. Well then the Japanese had no other choice but to run too. Upon paying for the mask, the Chinese decided.... we want your mask also, fight emerges . Chinese fighting to take the mask from even the elderly. Its now dog eat dog here in Japan. And you don't think we didn't get prepared for the worse? (well, we really can't , but we did our best) Now other then making a trip to the hospital tomorrow and other future doctor appointments, we are now prisoners in our own home. That is the feelings that us older people may have difficulty handling (stress of NO freedom) Some of you here mention weapons (I recall seeing a sign on a property after Katrina, no trespassing , will shot on sight)

Not sure if posted, some fancy charts and colors:

German health official: "We can no longer trace the origin of new cases."

In other words, the outbreak is on is Germany.

My work sent an email yesterday that more or less said that all was good, no changes need to be made. Only 15 cases in the US.

I just feel like when they will do some more proper, the damage will have been done.

This morning there were two health experts on CNBC Squawk Box - both are former health officials that are now health experts working for major investment firms. Both agreed that it is highly likely that there are many more cases circulating in the US. Both agreed that the US (CDC) has botched the test kit roll-out. And both agreed that the mortality is probably about 10x higher than any given season flu - and that the stresses on the medical system will be substantial.

Joe Kernen (the host), who gets testy and cynical when any guest is critical of the current administration tried to push back on the experts' presentation but because both were in agreement, and both are experts, they were able to remain persuasive.

This morning there were two health experts on CNBC Squawk Box - both are former health officials that are now health experts working for major investment firms. Both agreed that it is highly likely that there are many more cases circulating in the US. Both agreed that the US (CDC) has botched the test kit roll-out. And both agreed that the mortality is probably about 10x higher than any given season flu - and that the stresses on the medical system will be substantial.

Joe Kernen (the host), who gets testy and cynical when any guest is critical of the current administration tried to push back on the experts' presentation but because both were in agreement, and both are experts, they were able to remain persuasive.

But really, how many people watch Squawk Box? I used to watch it regularly when I was working as an FA, but that was over 10 years ago.

There needs to be more of this on the major networks. Maybe they're doing that, but I rarely watch tv news these days.

This is just disturbing. I keep thinking about my brother in laws visiting here last week after flying back from Korea.

Wife has 2 sisters who live in Seoul. I just hope they're able to avoid it. The highest concentration of cases are in another province, but still, feels too close to home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom