COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (19 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think you're getting the how much worse 7 times the death rate of the regular flu is because you are not looking at it in full scale.

If we're talking 100, 1,000 or even 10.000 people, the difference The difference in fatality rate between the flu and this is less severe.

Assuming the fatality rate is .66%. Then if all 10,000 people are infected then around 66 dead versus around 10 dead from the regular flu. Maybe that can be seen as not exponentially worse in scale.

Now let's take the population of the state of Louisiana which is approximately 4,670,724. Let's say just 10% of population gets infected, that's 467,072 people at a fatality rate of .66% that's around 3,082 dead versus around 440 dead from the regular flu. An extra 1,600 dead in the state is exponentially worse if you ask me. And remember, that was based on just 10% of the population being infected.

Now let's look at the population of the whole country which is around 330,300,000. Again let's assume only 10% of the population is infected, that's 33,000,000 at a fatality rate of .66% is around 217,800 dead versus around 31,114 dead. That means around 186,686 more dead than would be from the regular flu. Does anyone look at that difference and think, that's not exponentially worse. And again, those numbers are based on only 10% of the population getting infected.

Keep in mind that the serious illness rate, those need intensive care, runs much higher. If the number needing intensive care in an area is greater than capacity to provide care, then the fatality rate will climb because of lack of care.
Good explanation but even you are not gettting just how much worse this is.

The flu, people have natural antibodies, we have vaccines. Even the worst flu season with a vaccine that doesn't match very well only about 50% of the population are even susceptible to catching it. So now, we have 7 times the death rate that impacts twice the amount of people. Next, this is considered about twice as contagious as the flu so it again doubles how many people can catch it in a single season. Finally, the death rates soar when hospitals get overrun. Our hospitals capacity has the flu factored in. This overruns hospitals in a matter of a couple of months and at that point the death rate tends to triple.

But like you said, this isn't even about the death rate, it's about the hospitilization rate. We literally have a collapsed healthcare system in multiple cities around the country right now which leads to indirect deaths as well.

The seasonal flu comparisons are so insanely stupid. They are both viruses, the comparisons pretty much end right there. Anyone making the comparisons doesn't understand basic math. My child in 4th grade understands the difference, I almost feel sorry for anyone making comparisons to the flu, they are just uneducated and ignorant.

I am confused. The US is needing medical supplies badly, but we are sending medical supplies to other countries. Now I see that Russia is sending medical supplies to the US.

What exactly are we sending and receiving?

Maybe slightly used masks? :idunno:

To be fair I know Russia manufactures certain types of PPE. Namely gas mask filters that are for filtering biological agents including viruses. Maybe we are getting those filters.

I’m pretty liberal on most topics but I gotta say if I read tomorrow that the cops took this guy out back and shot him in the back of the head I don’t think I’d be that upset about it

A part of me wants a blanket statement

For certain crimes your charged with during this crisis carries double the fine and double the jail time

Last edited:
I’m pretty liberal on most topics but I gotta say if I read tomorrow that the cops took this guy out back and shot him in the back of the head I don’t think I’d be that upset about it

A part of me wants a blanket statement

Anything your charged with during this crisis carries double the fine and double the jail time

That plus he goes to the prison where they are all infected with coronavirus.

Good explanation but even you are not gettting just how much worse this is.

The flu, people have natural antibodies, we have vaccines. Even the worst flu season with a vaccine that doesn't match very well only about 50% of the population are even susceptible to catching it. So now, we have 7 times the death rate that impacts twice the amount of people. Next, this is considered about twice as contagious as the flu so it again doubles how many people can catch it in a single season. Finally, the death rates soar when hospitals get overrun. Our hospitals capacity has the flu factored in. This overruns hospitals in a matter of a couple of months and at that point the death rate tends to triple.

But like you said, this isn't even about the death rate, it's about the hospitilization rate. We literally have a collapsed healthcare system in multiple cities around the country right now which leads to indirect deaths as well.

The seasonal flu comparisons are so insanely stupid. They are both viruses, the comparisons pretty much end right there. Anyone making the comparisons doesn't understand basic math. My child in 4th grade understands the difference, I almost feel sorry for anyone making comparisons to the flu, they are just uneducated and ignorant.
Damn! Uneducated and ignorant. Playing prison rules I see.

When eating cooked crawfish kills millions of people and wrecks the world economy, come talk to me

Last I read they think a bat infected a pangolin? (Kind of anteater) and eating that passed to humans

And I assume that the Chinese have been eating both for centuries or longer

To me this is like calling it the Chinese or Wuhan virus

Just a subtle (or not so subtle) way to say

This is all happening because of THOSE foreign people in THAT foreign country

Bringing up the bat just adds to it

This is all happening because THOSE foreign people in THAT foreign country EAT filthy vermin because of their primitive backwards foreign ways

I'm not sure you understand that this isn't as far fetched as you're trying to make it sound.
I must’ve missed the decades of warnings about eating crawfish from all the infectious disease experts.
On the other hand, haven’t they been saying for decades that the wet markets in China would inevitably lead to something like this?

I must’ve missed the decades of warnings about eating crawfish from all the infectious disease experts.
On the other hand, haven’t they been saying for decades that the wet markets in China would inevitably lead to something like this?

Well it’s not crawfish, but there is a thing called the swine flu.

Not to mention that 90% of crawfish consumed worldwide are consumed in...you guessed it...China.

Couldn’t sleep last night. So, I watched (now yesterday’s) daily briefing in its full 2+ hour entirety. First one I watched and at least for me thought it was very informative and well done. Everyone, including the media, the task force team and yes, even the President did a very good job. It is easy to see how sounds bites are so damaging and really should be a last resort reporting tool. The next 2-3 weeks will be hell on earth most likely.

Couldn’t sleep last night. So, I watched (now yesterday’s) daily briefing in its full 2+ hour entirety. First one I watched and at least for me thought it was very informative and well done. Everyone, including the media, the task force team and yes, even the President did a very good job. It is easy to see how sounds bites are so damaging and really should be a last resort reporting tool. The next 2-3 weeks will be hell on earth most likely.

Yesterday was easily the best briefing they’ve had since this started. Hopefully it is a trend and not a fluke.

I'm not sure you understand that this isn't as far fetched as you're trying to make it sound.

It's pretty far fetched for a lot of reasons, chiefly that literally hundreds of millions of pounds of crawfish are harvested and consumed worldwide and have resulted in zero pandemics (or even notable viral outbreaks of any sort, aside from food poisoning), and a virus randomly mutating and jumping from an anthropod to a human is way less likely to happen than from one mammal to another. Random viruses jumping from species to species is uncommon enough, but from a whole different phylum? Even less likely.

So let's end this line of comparison now, because its literally baseless and pointless.

It's pretty far fetched for a lot of reasons, chiefly that literally hundreds of millions of pounds of crawfish are harvested and consumed worldwide and have resulted in zero pandemics (or even notable viral outbreaks of any sort, aside from food poisoning), and a virus randomly mutating and jumping from an anthropod to a human is way less likely to happen than from one mammal to another. Random viruses jumping from species to species is uncommon enough, but from a whole different phylum? Even less likely.

So let's end this line of comparison now, because its literally baseless and pointless.
Kings play chess on fairly green species

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom