COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (16 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m pretty liberal on most topics but I gotta say if I read tomorrow that the cops took this guy out back and shot him in the back of the head I don’t think I’d be that upset about it

A part of me wants a blanket statement

For certain crimes your charged with during this crisis carries double the fine and double the jail time
Ya think? ?

Threads on EE are like the oceans. They have tides that go back and forth. Sometimes something nasty is washed on to shore. Sometimes a riptide takes you in deep and you drown.
Anyway, you don't dismiss a thread just because there are a few dozen bad pages.

EDIT: Sometimes something strange and unknown brushes your leg. You get really scared and wonder why you are there in the first place and if its really worth it.
Jack Handey is that you? J/K

I agree. It’s frustrating that they are not admitting fault. The travel restrictions were a joke. Transportation in and out of the country should have been halted earlier. Who knows how many people were infected by someone who went to a face to face meeting in another country that could have been done using technology or by someone who wasn’t going to cancel the vacation they had planned for years. I get it. It’s also just as bad as people not knowing what was going on in other countries like Italy, believing China’s understated death rate, and thinking it couldn’t happen to us. That’s on society.

but if you have a LEADER, society will listen. Not all, but vast majority. Then you rely on the conformity to help convince those who disbelieve.

Thats what leaders do...lead. Thru honesty, determination and character.

3 attributes that we just dont have at this critical juncture.

Good explanation but even you are not gettting just how much worse this is.

The flu, people have natural antibodies, we have vaccines. Even the worst flu season with a vaccine that doesn't match very well only about 50% of the population are even susceptible to catching it. So now, we have 7 times the death rate that impacts twice the amount of people. Next, this is considered about twice as contagious as the flu so it again doubles how many people can catch it in a single season. Finally, the death rates soar when hospitals get overrun. Our hospitals capacity has the flu factored in. This overruns hospitals in a matter of a couple of months and at that point the death rate tends to triple.

But like you said, this isn't even about the death rate, it's about the hospitilization rate. We literally have a collapsed healthcare system in multiple cities around the country right now which leads to indirect deaths as well.

The seasonal flu comparisons are so insanely stupid. They are both viruses, the comparisons pretty much end right there. Anyone making the comparisons doesn't understand basic math. My child in 4th grade understands the difference, I almost feel sorry for anyone making comparisons to the flu, they are just uneducated and ignorant.
I would say uneducated to the FACTS of this pandemic, but i would not say they are ignorant.

That's why the "experts" are saying to try to drink a bit of water every 15 minutes. They say that if you happen to get a bit of the virus in your mouth, wash it down to your stomach, because the acid/juices will kill the virus, in that the virus cannot survive in that environment.

So the theory is, much better down the esophagous & into your stomach, before it can travel down your airway and into your lungs.

Hope this makes sense.......of course nobody would know if they accidently had the virus in their mouth, but, by being mindful of always having water with you, and to keep taking a swig at frequent intervals, it will help to keep you safe.

Hope this is not just, "an old wives tale." lol
Never mind........

Just read in “The Atlantic” that this theory is not backed by any evidence. ?.

Hindsight is always crystal clear but restricting travel from China (Jan31) occurred 9-10 days after first US reported case. By some accounts, it was still unclear if human to human transmission was occurring (WHO Jan14). Believing China was the biggest error in my opinion.
And this was the response so like I said it was all political...
8D5DBE44-CE93-49F8-94FF-B71E7FCCF97E.jpeg

but if you have a LEADER, society will listen. Not all, but vast majority. Then you rely on the conformity to help convince those who disbelieve.

Easy to be critical at this juncture, but it is not going to help matters. To each his own though. Swing away.

I agree. It’s frustrating that they are not admitting fault. The travel restrictions were a joke. Transportation in and out of the country should have been halted earlier. Who knows how many people were infected by someone who went to a face to face meeting in another country that could have been done using technology or by someone who wasn’t going to cancel the vacation they had planned for years. I get it. It’s also just as bad as people not knowing what was going on in other countries like Italy, believing China’s understated death rate, and thinking it couldn’t happen to us. That’s on society.

Even after all we know now, local reports say 28 people out of a group of travelers to Cabo for spring break have tested positive for COVID-19 in recent days.

Correct. And whether it offends people to hear, the White House is in the unique position of having access to information from a variety of domestic and international sources, and an obligation to act responsibly on that information.

To whatever extent blame can be spread out, it has to start there in unraveling and understanding this crisis.

That's not real. (Also we should just end this line of discussion now or take it elsewhere)

What Schumer was saying, though, in late January (when the Senate was alleged to have been too distracted to multi-task on an issue of national security).

Even after all we know now, local reports say 28 people out of a group of travelers to Cabo for spring break have tested positive for COVID-19 in recent days.

Careless and wreckless people are at this time probably the biggest threat. This trip occurred in mid - March - with plenty of information for the responsible person to forgo making this type of trip. So, now, they are a burden on society. The heartless side of me would lock them up in "leper" colony and let them survive if they could.

question for the lay person here....projected deaths plateau but then stay at that level for 2 months. are they saying that come June 1 thats it? why wouldnt it slope down? im confused.
Because I believe that you are looking at the plot of TOTAL deaths, which will never go (slope) down.

If you also look at the Deaths per Day plot, after June 1st there will still be deaths per day but at a much slower rate.

I know the real definition. So don’t feel like you are humbling someone. I take exception to the word. To me, it is a condescending word. But have a great day. ?

As if I thought you capable of humility, ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom