COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (10 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have kept my thoughts on this out of this thread, because I have never been a big conspiracy theory guy, but this is starting to strike me as extremely odd that cases keep popping up in these particular types of establishments, where it would just so happen to effect our most vulnerable citizens.

Maybe there is no conspiracy, but perhaps there is science to it?

Who knows.

The employees of these facilities who help care for them have to be in physical contact with them on a pretty frequent basis, typically without adequate PPE, so if a resident or employee gets Covid it's going to spread throughout the facility in pretty short order.

Says expecting 2900 deaths from flu this year. Wonder if this is all somehow related?

I think you may have misread:

The CDC estimates there have been 2,900 deaths from the flu this season.

I believe they're talking cumulative around the globe as of the time of the writing - January 5th.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I think you may have misread:

I believe they're talking cumulative around the globe as of the time of the writing - January 5th.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Maybe you are right. I thought that but that seemed low to me that’s why I assumed just La

Maybe you are right. I thought that but that seemed low to me that’s why I assumed just La

Flu season started in October and lasts until late February. 2,900 sounds like an awful lot of flu deaths for one state, Louisiana in particular, during that time frame. I am curious now though.

Apologies if already posted.

That's what ignorant means.
I know the real definition. So don’t feel like you are humbling someone. I take exception to the word. To me, it is a condescending word. But have a great day. ?

Actually it is worse than ignorance, it is negligence when a world leader is spreading falsehoods regarding a pandemic. Continuing to spread those falsehoods when surrounded and with access to the best medical experts in the country. I really don't think any rational/reasonable person would argue otherwise...

If you read it was proved to be false because a rep of Shummer said he didn’t do it so regardless there was screaming of xenophobia with the ban..anyway I’m not going to bring politics here because it just makes me a hypocrite

Too late, you already have....

China even admitted they were lying. Not so much because they were lying but because they didn't have adequate hospital or test capacity to properly identify everyone. They required the burning of bodies and eliminated funerals, weddings and religious gatherings. They were starting from scratch and didn't have a warning period to scramble tests. They shared the mapped out virus with us on January 21st and began warning the world that this thing had a 1-3% mortality rate and was extremely contagious. They told us it could be caught from surfaces over long periods, it was at least airborn in droplets and that 15-20% of patients required hospitilization which would overwhelm healthcare systems. They showed us you have to expand capacity at great numbers by building new hospitals. They warned the world that ventilation was the difference between life and death for many. They told us it impacted the most vulnerable, those that are old or with underlying conditions. They warned us that PPE is absolutely required or healthcare workers will get infected at a very high rate. They told us the public needed masks, that we needed social distancing, that in order to curve this thing you had to work from home or school. That you had to shut the economy down. They warned us about the transfer of the virus through money. They told us about asymptomatic spread. They showed us how to spray entire cities with disinfectants. They let the CDC on the ground with the WHO and they got to see first hand everything China has done to combat the virus, the chains of transmission, the stress on the healthcare system, showed us modern contact tracing, shared different treatments they were trying, etc, etc, etc

I mean, I'm not trying to defend China but this whole China lied thing is propaganda. At least China is honest about being full of sheet. While China was telling us about all this the USA was calling it just the flu. They were saying a bubble was built around the USA and it's sealed off air tight. They were telling us the risk was low and that we should wash our hands. When we started getting cases it became cute for politicians to bump elbows instead of shake hands, the same elbow they were talling us to cough and sneeze into. That literally forking happened.

“The reality is that we could have been better off if China had been more forthcoming,” Vice President Mike Pence said

So excuse me if I really don't give a sheet about China being used as a scapegoat when we all saw the videos of the bodies stacking up. We all saw the ghost town cities the size of New York. We all saw the hospitals filled with people on ventilators. We all knew the numbers weren't accurate. It doesn't take the White House leaking out a document put together by unnamed sources using urns to show the Chinese numbers weren't accurate. They told us the numbers that mattered. They gave us estimates on the r-0 and fatality rate that are equal to or greater than we think they are today.

Our own leaders did everything they could to restrict testing to keep numbers low. They denied the severity in spite of the "best experts in the world" telling them repeatedly what was coming. The day the CDC told us the risk to Americans was high and that spread in the USA was not if but when. That businesses and schools should start preparing for shut downs. That people should try to get several weeks worth of food. When the CDC came out and told us this, our President denounced it, organized a task force that went through the vice president, made meetings with the CDC and NIH classified, tried to gag Fauci and required all information to go through Pence. All the time this was going on the world was stocking up on PPE but we weren't. Now that the music stopped and we don't have a chair it's China's fault?

So yeah, the "Chinese virus" the non-stop and sudden articles about urns, the twitter bots replying to anything coronavirus related with, "Chine lied :( " or the memes of Chinese people eating frogs or bats that almost every Chinese person out there says is gross is just an attempt to distract, divide and deflect. Eating a bat is gross but if we are going to take that most Chinese people eat bats then it's safe to assume that most Americans eat Tide Pods.

This is coming from someone that supported Trump on the trade war with China. I think they are IP thieves that takes advantage of international law while trying to undermine American business. For covid though, it's all an attempt to find a whipping boy and scapegoat for the way America handled this.

Yes, I'm being repetitive but it's the truth and the whole China's number thing was great back in the first 200 pages of this thread but now it's nothing but a regurgitated political tool for deflecting blame.

As of this morning there were over 78k new cases reported worldwide. 16k recovered.

In other words, there were potentially 5 TIMES as many new cases than recoveries. This is the unsustainable math.

Ignoring the ratios, and assuming static progression, you can look at it as - for every ventilator that becomes available due to recovery, 4 additional ones potentially are needed along with the one that became available. In one week we would have 7 become available but could need 49. In a month that looks really bad- 30 become available but the need is 1,470. This is ONE scenario at one hospital; now extrapolate to the US for the length of time that we are being told and the numbers are staggering.

To me, these numbers need to start diverging. Like yesterday. We have to figure out how to reduce the recovery time. Two weeks on a ventilator is not sustainable. That has to come down significantly for us to stay ahead of this.

Thank you, bclemms, and everyone else helping to keep this thread on topic.

For those adding links - quality not quantity and all that. If you're not sure the source is legit, or if it's from a biased source even, skip it. Or include it on a more appropriate thread to hash it out. If you've found a problem in a link you've already posted, go back and edit/delete the post.

If you want to argue politics or conspiracies, find a more appropriate thread. If you've noticed a number of your posts have been edited or deleted, know that the volunteer moderators here do not have unlimited patience, and whining about the consequences of your actions after the fact is not a good look. Seek a higher level. Instead of compulsively reacting, step away or hit the "report this post" button.

Edit: It's not always *what* you say, but *how* you say it that causes problems and misinterpretations. Consider your words before hitting submit.

Japan has been bad. The only reason their numbers were looking so neat is because they were flat out lying, not testing and trying to hold onto hopes of hosting the Olympics in a couple of months. Japan is in big trouble. I knew the second they cancelled the olympics the case load would explode, even said as much in here. Just shows how political every aspect of this thing has become. It's insanity.
It also shows how important the economy is especially to big players in the world markets. Considering the financial & economical impact from the postponement of the games, Japan was likely hoping beyond hope that they could keep the original schedule this summer. But now with the rescheduling, they can just tell it like it is.

As of this morning there were over 78k new cases reported worldwide. 16k recovered.

In other words, there were potentially 5 TIMES as many new cases than recoveries. This is the unsustainable math.

Ignoring the ratios, and assuming static progression, you can look at it as - for every ventilator that becomes available due to recovery, 4 additional ones potentially are needed along with the one that became available. In one week we would have 7 become available but could need 49. In a month that looks really bad- 30 become available but the need is 1,470. This is ONE scenario at one hospital; now extrapolate to the US for the length of time that we are being told and the numbers are staggering.

To me, these numbers need to start diverging. Like yesterday. We have to figure out how to reduce the recovery time. Two weeks on a ventilator is not sustainable. That has to come down significantly for us to stay ahead of this.

The overwhelming number of people who recover never have to go on a ventilator. And recoveries are always going to significantly lag behind new cases.

I'm of the opinion that less than 5 countries in the world handled this crisis well. The media in the states were eating up the, "just the flu brah." When it was causing havoc in Wuhan in the early days of outbreak.

So theres a bunch of blame to go around. The reality thats been painfully exposed is the USA was never really ready for a biological attack or pandemic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom