COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (23 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Says expecting 2900 deaths from flu this year. Wonder if this is all somehow related?

I tested positive for influenza type A in New Orleans in January. Fortunately I was prescribed Xofluza and was able to at least sit up after two days. It kicked my arse.

The Baton Rouge pastor still defiant

Also, the laying of hands and baptizing is one thing but I don't think people need to be physically in your presence for you to pray for them

Lastly this guy is going to find himself locked up if he continues with these services
=====================================

Tony Spell, a pastor in Louisiana who became the second religious leader to face charges over continuing church services amid coronavirus shutdowns, says he doesn't like livestreaming because he can't "lay hands" on his parishioners as he can in person.

"I cannot baptize people in a livestream. I can not lay hands on people in a livestream. I cannot pray for people in a livestream, and this is our biblical command - to lay hands on the sick and when they recover baptize them by immersion in water, which we do every day," Spell told Insider.

Spell, an evangelical pastor at the Life Tabernacle Church in suburban Baton Rouge, Louisiana, was issued six misdemeanor charges of violating the governor's order that bans large gatherings.

Louisiana's state government has issued a stay-at-home order for residents to help protect against the novel coronavirus, asking people to limit movements outside of their homes other than for essential needs, like grocery shopping, refilling prescriptions, and exercising. Health officials have urged people not to gather and said they should remain 6 feet away from others when going out.

But For the last several weeks, Spell has held in-person services for hundreds of people. Even on Tuesday, hours after his charges were announced, Spell held a service, which he said 300 people attended.

Spell says he plans to continue his in-person services, even after a police chief called it 'reckless and irresponsible.' ..................

The reality thats been painfully exposed is the USA was never really ready for a biological attack or pandemic.

Agreed. Which means, to me, we need to pump the brakes on “American exceptionalism”.

I think the implied arrogance actually works against us here. We were always vulnerable. And if we were ever needing to be “the best” it would be right now. Protecting our own citizens. But the virus doesn’t give a damn about our reputation or rhetoric. Our actions were the only barrier for viral prevention. And we didn’t act the best.

we make the claim. We talk the talk.

we didnt walk the walk.

and so if we really wanna be “the best country in the world” we need some earnest re-evaluation. Because we haven’t been in this case. And this case is a pretty critical one.

Good explanation but even you are not gettting just how much worse this is.

You didn't get the point of my post which was that even in the best case mathematical scenario, fatality and hospitalization rates are much worse than with seasonal flu.

I focused on how an increase in scale increases the severity of the difference between this virus and seasonal flu. I was not making any predictions, because I'm aware that I don't have nearly enough data or expertise to do so.

I do think that’s important to note that not everyone who tests positive for COVID-19 and dies, dies from Coronavirus. Kind of like tons of men die with Prostate cancer but relatively few die OF prostrate cancer. There is a VERY low threshold for testing of hospitalized patients right now and I’m pretty sure that the prevalence in the community is pretty high right now. Much like there will be lots of people with type A blood who die in the hospital.

It’s not to say that we should take this illness any less serious, but there is inherent bias in the epidemiology of a disease with a tiny historic sample size.

I'm on a conference call with management right now. They're laying off about 350 people every other week for the foreseeable future.

The steel industry in this country is already walking the edge of survival.

Right now we're looking at:

1 blast shut down at U.S. Steel Gary, Indiana
U.S. Steel Mon Valley
U.S. Steel Granite City A
U.S. Steel Granite City B
U.S. Steel Great Lakes
2 Blast Furnaces at Arcelor Mittal
AK Steel Dearborn

All shutting down
Nucor Steel is dropping to 70% capacity.

Our plant doesn't qualify for the stimulus package but the company created one.

I look forward to the break. I'll still be doing union stuff but it's still a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom