COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (20 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think that’s important to note that not everyone who tests positive for COVID-19 and dies, dies from Coronavirus. Kind of like tons of men die with Prostate cancer but relatively few die OF prostrate cancer. There is a VERY low threshold for testing of hospitalized patients right now and I’m pretty sure that the prevalence in the community is pretty high right now. Much like there will be lots of people with type A blood who die in the hospital.

It’s not to say that we should take this illness any less serious, but there is inherent bias in the epidemiology of a disease with a tiny historic sample size.

Not sure I follow.

Isn't this the same as saying people don't die from getting shot by a gun; they die because an artery bled out or because their lungs got holes put in them so they suffocated to death?

I agree with all you said but i’m just relieved that they are finally listening to science. As the saying goes, better late than never.

The problem with being late is you kill a lot of people by being late. This is one of those things where being late earns a lot more than a time out in the corner of the room.

In other words, this being late was entirely avoidable.

Not sure I follow.

Isn't this the same as saying people don't die from getting shot by a gun; they die because an artery bled out or because their lungs got holes put in them so they suffocated to death?

not at all. If there were lots of medical conditions that causes an acute onset of a penetrating hole in your body, then perhaps.

not at all. If there were lots of medical conditions that causes an acute onset of a penetrating hole in your body, then perhaps.

Still don't get it. So are you saying that because a person with a preexisting condition died because the virus somehow aggravated the preexisting condition, it means it should not count as a Coronavirus death?

Not trying to get cute here; just trying to understand your premise, that's all.

The problem with being late is you kill a lot of people by being late. This is one of those things where being late earns a lot more than a time out in the corner of the room.

In other words, this being late was entirely avoidable.
And more die because even after the warning the public takes 2 more weeks to even remotely take it serious.

we have a large segment of our population in La with one of the higher comorbities- diabetes.

our diet and lack of exercise in S LA is coming to the forefront here.

The Bogalusa heart study comes to mind here. Bogalusa was chosen because of the extremely high rate of heart disease there.

The U.S. Coronavirus death toll has doubled within the past three days.

I have a feeling it's gonna be ugly the next 8-10 days. That some states haven't shut down at this point is criminal and they're gonna get hit hard even if they full stop now. Once the train gets going, it's tough to stop.

Apologies if this has been posted, but I thought this USA Today article was interesting regarding tracking the pathology of the different strains and community spread. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...rack-coronavirus-strains-mutation/5080571002/

Today in Sacramento it was reported that they are finding that 1/3 of all cases here are attributable to spread by church gatherings. This is important, b/c we have been dealing with it here for over 5 weeks as we were the first case of community spread in the country. It is also important b/c it shows that isolating measures do work when followed. https://www.saccounty.net/COVID-19/Pages/default.aspx

The Bogalusa heart study comes to mind here. Bogalusa was chosen because of the extremely high rate of heart disease there.

Bogalusa, Louisiana is on our Phys Ed curriculum way up here in Toronto for exactly this reason

Yup, it will likely double again in the next 2-3 days.

That's actually what exponential growth is...

Yeah...sadly, it appears our "death rate" is starting to finally catch up to the rest of the world's. We're up to about 2.2% now, and it is only going to start getting much worse with this ventilator situation set to hit its brink within a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom