COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (16 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great write up! Thanks for taking all of that time to share all of that helpful information.?

What I don’t understand is why is this virus so selective & aggressive and quick in folks that are so healthy? For example:

the world renowned Neurosurgeon, who was an expert in surgery of conjoined twins? He was just a healthy, great guy, still surfing, in good shape. Had a great life, loved kids & still received Christmas cards from kids he had operated on years ago. The staff loved him.......why would the virus be so quick & aggressive in a person like that???

or the 24 yr old male ER nurse in NY, who looked to be in good shape, and then was gone in no time flat.

or the 46 year old dad of 6 kids, who played sports, worked out, was in good shape....and again, he was gone in no time flat.

and finally, the young ER doctor who was mentioned in the post above.....

None of these folks seem like they had risk factors, but yet this virus seems to be so powerful.

My best guess is that these people either had hidden underlying issues, or maybe they were exposed to very high viral loads for extended periods of time. But yeah, really no idea. It's baffling at times.

My daughter is starting a late shift at Amazon this week. :covri: I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried for her, but, she's pretty responsible and seriously studying to become a nurse. Lots of mixed feelings, but I'm supporting her every step of the way.

And cool stuff. I'm not sure what I'd do to emulate the whole touchless shopping experience, but I'd love to see what options I have here.
She can’t really talk all that much about it, and while I completely understand the whole things happen rule, I feel as comfortable as a parent can be with the protections and such my daughter has said. I hear people online tagging about them, but I can’t complain about the procedures they have in place.

A co-worker’s mother has tested positive for covid-19. He lives with her and worked a 12 hour graveyard shift last night. He was reportedly tested today and is awaiting results.

I was at the office just a few hours after he left and in the same area of the building along with several other employees.

Word has gotten around but HR hasn’t sent any notice to employees. Instead they sent a HIPPA letter informing us not to discuss coworkers or their families confidential medical issues.

Meanwhile, other coworkers will continue to work in the same area using the same mice, keyboards, workstations, bathrooms and break rooms.
That's not how HIPPA works...

And our office, ever evening, has been wiping down all work stations, keyboards, mice, phones, chairs, etc. Lysol or some medical grade wipes they got.

We have spray lysol in the bathrooms. For years, I've been spraying the seats before I use them. now I spray the door handle too.

We had one guy out for a few days with a fever (I guess it wasn't covid 19, since he's back). They decended on his work area and darn near hosed it down.

We had one director come in secondary contact (another coworker was a primary contact) of one of the congressmen in Washington who came down with COVID-19. Both guys were put on a 14 day quarantine by our work.

Great write up! Thanks for taking all of that time to share all of that helpful information.?

What I don’t understand is why is this virus so selective & aggressive and quick in folks that are so healthy? For example:

the world renowned Neurosurgeon, who was an expert in surgery of conjoined twins? He was just a healthy, great guy, still surfing, in good shape. Had a great life, loved kids & still received Christmas cards from kids he had operated on years ago. The staff loved him.......why would the virus be so quick & aggressive in a person like that???

or the 24 yr old male ER nurse in NY, who looked to be in good shape, and then was gone in no time flat.

or the 46 year old dad of 6 kids, who played sports, worked out, was in good shape....and again, he was gone in no time flat.

and finally, the young ER doctor who was mentioned in the post above.....

None of these folks seem like they had risk factors, but yet this virus seems to be so powerful.
I heard a podcast where they interviewed Dr. Fauci and he frankly admitted that they are still missing something that makes the virus so aggressive in some people, that doesn't have to do with age or co-morbidity.

She can’t really talk all that much about it, and while I completely understand the whole things happen rule, I feel as comfortable as a parent can be with the protections and such my daughter has said. I hear people online tagging about them, but I can’t complain about the procedures they have in place.

Right, that's a bit of the apprehension, because of some of the recent Amazon news. But I have to think that they're keenly aware of their image and will do all they can by having best practices that actually do protect their employees. At least I hope so.

They are hiring though. Kinda surprising considering so many others are doing the opposite.

The problem with many people is that what you see isn’t always what happens. You don’t know life habits-nutrition, drug use, underlying conditions. Some of these the patients may not even know. We are t a society that physically stresses people in hard manual labor, and all that so many issues go unknown. Lots of people have diabetes, or other underlying conditions that people don’t know about.

Right, that's a bit of the apprehension, because of some of the recent Amazon news. But I have to think that they're keenly aware of their image and will do all they can by having best practices that actually do protect their employees. At least I hope so.

They are hiring though. Kinda surprising considering so many others are doing the opposite.
Man where my daughter works they are so backed up. They could double the crew and possibly still have things laying there. They are pushing as hard as they can as amazon has kinda become people’s lifeline in a lot of ways.

My best guess is that these people either had hidden underlying issues, or maybe they were exposed to very high viral loads for extended periods of time. But yeah, really no idea. It's baffling at times.

I think it is absolutely viral load. Most of the healthy individials that are reportedly dying from the virus are healthcare workers. All it takes is one mistake. An N95 not fitted correctly, doffing PPE inappropriately, subconsciously touching a dirty mask, etc.

Y'all keep making me defend DeSantis. The most populated areas, like South Florida had schools closed and all non-essentialy businesses closed for almost two weeks now. That was when we were at around 430 cases. And over half were down in South Florida.

It's the same playbook Washington State was running early on.

DeSantis issuing the Stay Home order has changed very little to most of the state, since we've already been in an "essential business only" way of life for 2.5 weeks.

To expand on the viral load theory:

The mean viral load of severe cases was around 60 times higher than that of mild cases, suggesting that higher viral loads might be associated with severe clinical outcomes. We further stratified these data according to the day of disease onset at the time of sampling. The DCt values of severe cases remained significantly lower for the first 12 days after onset than those of corresponding mild cases (figure A). We also studied serial samples from 21 mild and ten severe cases (figure B). Mild cases were found to have an early viral clearance, with 90% of these patients repeatedly testing negative on RT-PCR by day 10 post-onset. By contrast, all severe cases still tested positive at or beyond day 10 post-onset. Overall, our data indicate that, similar to SARS in 2002–03, patients with severe COVID-19 tend to have a high viral load and a long virus-shedding period. This finding suggests that the viral load of SARS-CoV-2 might be a useful marker for assessing disease severity and prognosis.

I read this a week or so ago.

My question is this. I believe (not a biologist or medical professional), that Viral Load is going to be dependent on two things. 1. How much virus got in your system at the start, and 2. How quickly it replicates unimpeded in your body.

Would the amount you get exposed to matter that much? Or it is more on how your body happens to react to it?

i.e. is it a health care worker with poorly fitting PPE getting sneezed on up close more deadly, or the fact that they probably are on a 36 hour shift and in desperate need of sleep?

I read this a week or so ago.

My question is this. I believe (not a biologist or medical professional), that Viral Load is going to be dependent on two things. 1. How much virus got in your system at the start, and 2. How quickly it replicates unimpeded in your body.

Would the amount you get exposed to matter that much? Or it is more on how your body happens to react to it?

i.e. is it a health care worker with poorly fitting PPE getting sneezed on up close more deadly, or the fact that they probably are on a 36 hour shift and in desperate need of sleep?

I think, ultimately, we'll find it to be multifactorial. Repeated expose to viral particles via the work environment. 12+ hour shifts in a stressful environment, probably a poor diet as you're eating only what you can when you can, lack of sleep, not much time for exercise. All contributors to a weakened immune response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom