COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (64 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hate anything fictional. It's probably why I enjoyed watching Apollo 13. It was based on a true event. I have never watched even one episode of StarTrek, Battlestar Galactica, or any other fictional program about space... but I love everything about the real space program, past and present. If it isn't real, it's all just foolish to me.

I cannot relate at all, but you do you, man.

So apparently the close genetic similarity between SARS and SARS-2 is allowing for much faster development of vaccines and anti-virals - we're seeing this theme appear in so many research papers. Here's another from yesterday, which (unlike many) has been peer reviewed:

Summary of the paper:

University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine scientists announced a potential vaccine against SARS-CoV-2, the new coronavirus causing the COVID-19 pandemic. When tested in mice, the vaccine, delivered through a fingertip-sized patch, produces antibodies specific to SARS-CoV-2 at quantities thought to be sufficient for neutralizing the virus.

The paper appeared April 2 in eBioMedicine, which is published by The Lancet, and is the first study to be published after critique from fellow scientists at outside institutions that describes a candidate vaccine for COVID-19. The researchers were able to act quickly because they had already laid the groundwork during earlier coronavirus epidemics.

“We had previous experience on SARS-CoV in 2003 and MERS-CoV in 2014. These two viruses, which are closely related to SARS-CoV-2, teach us that a particular protein, called a spike protein, is important for inducing immunity against the virus. We knew exactly where to fight this new virus,” said co-senior author Andrea Gambotto, associate professor of surgery at the Pitt School of Medicine. “That’s why it’s important to fund vaccine research. You never know where the next pandemic will come from.”

“Our ability to rapidly develop this vaccine was a result of scientists with expertise in diverse areas of research working together with a common goal,” said co-senior author Louis Falo, professor and chair of dermatology at Pitt’s School of Medicine and UPMC.

Compared to the experimental mRNA vaccine candidate that just entered clinical trials, the vaccine described in this paper—which the authors are calling PittCoVacc, short for Pittsburgh CoronaVirus Vaccine—follows a more established approach, using lab-made pieces of viral protein to build immunity. It’s the same way the current flu shots work.

Paper:

I really hate anything fictional. It's probably why I enjoyed watching Apollo 13. It was based on a true event. I have never watched even one episode of StarTrek, Battlestar Galactica, or any other fictional program about space... but I love everything about the real space program, past and present. If it isn't real, it's all just foolish to me.
How about Ted talks???!!! LOTS of variety there!
I am currently doing this ZOOM video thing, it is kind of weird.......but at least it connects human beings.

How about Ted talks???!!! LOTS of variety there!
I am currently doing this ZOOM video thing, it is kind of weird.......but at least it connects human beings.
I've been doing a lot of Zoom myself. Connecting with people is important.

So apparently the close genetic similarity between SARS and SARS-2 is allowing for much faster development of vaccines and anti-virals - we're seeing this theme appear in so many research papers. Here's another from yesterday, which (unlike many) has been peer reviewed:

Summary of the paper:

Paper:

This looks promising. Let's start saving some lives!

Y’all heard that they’re looking at having a Tiger Woods v Phil Mickelson Rematch with Manning and Brady as teammates.

If they can pull that off, it will beat the Superbowls ratings. I like golf but I hate watching it on TV. That said, I’ll be locked onto this match if it happens..
I hope I can gamble on the odds. I’m jonesing because the only thing to bet on right now is horses.

Summary of the paper:

Paper:

This is great and all but why dont we have a working vaccine for SARS yet? I hope this works but I'm skeptical until it gets through trials.

Walmart announced today that it will start restricting the number of customers allowed in the store starting tomorrow. Number of people allowed is based on square footage. Tape on the floor will establish one-way traffic lanes and distance marks to keep people apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom