COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (31 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If only it was. Passwords won't deter hackers. But that is another step the school district has mandated.

If Zoom and other meeting apps are going to start playing an integral part in daily lives (I guess they already are) then they should probably consider a two factor authentication method if possible/practical. It won't totally deter hackers but it will drastically cut down their successes....

Are homemade masks better than the dust masks you buy to mow your lawn or cut wood with?
Depends on what they are being made of. The ones my friend is making are triple layered denim with is pretty decent. A little harder to breath with than the cheap ones I mow the lawn and blow off the sidewalks with. Obviously not as good as the couple N95s I have but I feel they are good enough for social, store, whatever.

That 6% fatality rate (for today) in NYC is not good. I wonder if the hospitals are getting overrun now? Some really disturbing stats.

That's exactly the case, and we knew that this would be when the case/death rate started to accelerate.

I'm not sure what the latest ventilator/ICU bed count is, but once it gets as low as it is, getting the proper equipment to the right hospital facilities or getting the patients to the right hospital facilities, etc., becomes almost impossible to perfect, so the "overrun" effect has already begun.

Same thing is about to start in Louisiana in the next 24 to 48 hours, if it hasn't already.

We are not immune to the insane death rate places like Italy have endured; we have just been able to hold it off longer.

1cfaac09856c04666bf4a5abc8d5c199a412703a.png

The coastal west coast is killing it, which is why they've gotten their initial explosion under control. Rust belt doing great. Texas looks awful, but I am glad to see the I35 corridor (San Antonio, Austin, Dallas) and Houston with no red at all.

The SEC states in general.. (n)

Seems like Louisiana is not doing the worst job...maybe not the best, but certainly not the worst. I know I'm doing my part to stay put as much as I can.

Seems like Louisiana is not doing the worst job...maybe not the best, but certainly not the worst. I know I'm doing my part to stay put as much as I can.

Not a shocker that the rural areas of the map that have yet to be effected to a large degree show the most red. Also not shocked that the entire Northeast section of the country is spooked enough by what is happening in NY are staying at home.

Also worth noting that there are 8 states that have not been issued a mandatory order by their local officials, many of whom show red on this map.

In all, I am not shocked by the look of this map; it is almost predictable.

I agree. Mardi Gras was just at the worst possible time. If it had happened a month earlier it would have been so much less of a problem. A couple weeks later and it would have been cancelled.

Expected when resources get tight. Sad to see it coming to this.

it was a dumb idea fueled by someone interviewed by FOX News as well as FOX pundits (ex. Tucker Carlson, interview with Navarro, and Geraldo Rivera), trying to make 3M’s exportation of PPE look evil.

the reality is that there is *one* paper mill that produces the pulp for a lot of 3M's PPE - surgical masks, gowns, etc.

Guess where it is.... British Columbia.

The surgical items are made for the North American market and some of the finished product returns to Canada, Levi Sampson, Harmac president, said Wednesday.

Masks, gowns and other surgical products are desperately needed now in the fight against novel coronavirus.

Harmac is running its full workforce of 320 at a time when many businesses are closing.

“For our workforce, they are extremely proud to be making this product right now,” Sampson said. “You are doing something that is helping.”

Multiple shifts are running to turn out Harmac’s K10s pulp, produced from Western red cedar, which is plentiful on Vancouver Island, he said.

It happens to be the right kind of fibre to go into hospital surgical gowns, masks, drapes and caps and similar products, Sampson said. Harmac produces five types of pulp, each made according to a specific “recipe.”

This is stupid small-mindedness. It's just this empty sense of nationalized priority.

3M also sources materials from Latin America. And the n95 masks are made in the US, but from materials that come from countries all over the globe.

Because 3M gets these materials from these places, part of the agreement is for 3M to supply those countries with PPE. Their CEO has talked about this being a "humanitarian imperative."

Trump, and his FOX policy proxies, are trying to vilify 3M by distorting and misrepresenting what the actual exportation agreement *actually* is. And he's doing this - so verbally - because he knows he is facing pressure to make it look like he is putting Americans first.

It's a PR stunt.

Do you want to actually get into a trade war with countries that supply the materials to produce the PPE right now?

Of course not.

So, what's the reason for all of this?

I think you can probably hazard a reasonable guess.

This is stupidity.

it was a dumb idea fueled by someone interviewed by FOX News as well as FOX pundits (ex. Tucker Carlson, interview with Navarro, and Geraldo Rivera), trying to make 3M’s exportation of PPE look evil.

the reality is that there is *one* paper mill that produces the pulp for a lot of 3M's PPE - surgical masks, gowns, etc.

This is stupid small-mindedness. It's just this empty sense of nationalized priority.

3M also sources materials from Latin America. And the n95 masks are made in the US, but from materials that come from countries all over the globe.

Because 3M gets these materials from these places, part of the agreement is for 3M to supply those countries with PPE. Their CEO has talked about this being a "humanitarian imperative."

Trump, and his FOX policy proxies, are trying to vilify 3M by distorting and misrepresenting what the actual exportation agreement *actually* is. And he's doing this - so verbally - because he knows he is facing pressure to make it look like he is putting Americans first.

It's a PR stunt.

Do you want to actually get into a trade war with countries that supply the materials to produce the PPE right now?

Of course not.

This is stupidity.
This whole situation has me fully convinced that we will NEVER come together as a species, no matter what the case may be.

This whole situation has me fully convinced that we will NEVER come together as a species, no matter what the case may be.

It was working fine. This agreement was working and has been working. It was vilified by a person, or a few people - not the entire species. The ire and responsibility shouldn't be shouldered by all of us.

This is enemy manufacturing to glorify an administration.

I sent this to every one of my facebook friends in a private message. Now Facebook is blocking me from responding to anyone. Facebook sucks

It's an encouraging and simple fix. And if it can work, we can exponentially increase our mask availability and efficacy. I look forward to seeing what increased testing might yield. It could be a very big deal.

Of course, that won't happen if these surgical masks can't be manufactured any more because the US/CDN border is locked down and 3M can't get the raw materials.

It's a PR stunt.

Of course not.

This is stupidity.
Was trade question rhetorical? I understand all what you say and don’t disagree, if anything we should try to start making this all in house, IMHO.

I agree. Mardi Gras was just at the worst possible time. If it had happened a month earlier it would have been so much less of a problem. A couple weeks later and it would have been cancelled.
For those of us here in WA state that watch the news it was apparent that we were at risk late February when the first WA state death occurred and the virus spread like wild fire in several nursing homes that shared the same staff members. And it quickly became obvious that asymptomatic infected people were unknowingly spreading the disease. The fact that other states did not quickly enact measures to limit the spread of the disease borders on being criminal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom