COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: 435,128 cases and 14,795 deaths in US) (90 Viewers)

Eeyore

Flucifer
Reaction score
Sticky Post
UPDATED TRACKER LINKS:

It shouldn't be a big deal but with a large number of people unable to afford healthcare, and the anti vax crowd growing there's a small chance that this could be interesting.

Last edited:

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
I'm gonna throw out a theory on maybe why we haven't seen an explosion of cases here yet. Maybe it's cultural? What I'm thinking is we tend not to greet one another with hugs and kisses unless it's a spouse or relative. And generally, when having a casual conversation, we do so at a fairly greater distance than many other countries. Also, it seems we worry more about being clean, take more showers and have access to over the counter remedies than a lot of other nations.

Even though there have been scant few tests done, it sure seems like we've dodged the proverbial bullet to this point. That can all turn on a dime, but I was just thinking about why we've had so few cases here. It's a bit weird to be honest.
Asians tend to bow.
There is a psychiatric hospital that confirmed 99 out of 102 patients. They were all in isolated room without contact.

jasonsw

Swimmer is my friend
Reaction score
I'm gonna throw out a theory on maybe why we haven't seen an explosion of cases here yet. Maybe it's cultural? What I'm thinking is we tend not to greet one another with hugs and kisses unless it's a spouse or relative. And generally, when having a casual conversation, we do so at a fairly greater distance than many other countries. Also, it seems we worry more about being clean, take more showers and have access to over the counter remedies than a lot of other nations.

Even though there have been scant few tests done, it sure seems like we've dodged the proverbial bullet to this point. That can all turn on a dime, but I was just thinking about why we've had so few cases here. It's a bit weird to be honest.
America is where Super Viruses go to die SARS, PIG FLU, H1/N1, and probably The Corona Virus.

PurpleBlack&Gold

FOOTBALL PLEASE!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Asians tend to bow.
There is a psychiatric hospital that confirmed 99 out of 102 patients. They were all in isolated room without contact.
Or just look at the cruise ship. All of those people were infected after they made everyone stay in their cabins. I think they each had designated outside time but I am sure they were told to keep their distance from each other.

Reaction score
Or just look at the cruise ship. All of those people were infected after they made everyone stay in their cabins. I think they each had designated outside time but I am sure they were told to keep their distance from each other.
Makes me suspect there's a transmission factor as yet undiscovered.

Arathrael

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
It's getting a little tin foil hat in here. I think somebody made a good point earlier that if we had more cases than being reported we would hear of people needing respirators in hospitals as well as other things like healthcare workers in full protective gear.
From what we know, it takes a while to get to that state. So while it looks like the US (and the UK for that matter) aren't getting particularly hit by it, it may be that it actually is spreading, but it just hasn't had time to get to the point where it's hospitalising significant numbers of people.

To put that in perspective, six days ago on the 20th February, Italy had two or three confirmed cases and no deaths. Now they're at 458 cases and 12 deaths. The UK and US may - may - just be where Italy was a week ago.

SUGrad03

All-Pro
Reaction score
They all had the same recirculated air, infected crew moved freely throughout the ship.

Joe OKC

"Better Days"
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
got a question... ok.. 3% death rate.

But how long does a person have this? Can a person get over this without going to the hospital? Is the recovery 100%

Doug B

Fanaticus Sanctii
Reaction score
America is where Super Viruses go to die SARS, PIG FLU, H1/N1, and probably The Corona Virus.
Not SARS ... but the swine flu (same as H1N1, a specific strain I think) wasn't disruptive in the U.S. if memory serves.

Arathrael

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
got a question... ok.. 3% death rate.

But how long does a person have this? Can a person get over this without going to the hospital? Is the recovery 100%
According to the WHO, around 80% of people recover without needing special treatment. Around 1 in 6 become seriously ill with breathing difficulties.

As for how long, it seems to vary, from a couple of weeks of little or no symptoms, to six weeks or more.

That's the general outline of it. The exact figures may well shift as time goes on and we can get a better handle on it. But the general shape of it - the severity and duration of symptoms varies quite a lot, a small but significant number of people develop severe symptoms, but people do mostly recover without hospital treatment - is pretty solid at this point I'd say.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 59, Guests: 22)

Headlines

Top Bottom