COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (12 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or just look at the cruise ship. All of those people were infected after they made everyone stay in their cabins. I think they each had designated outside time but I am sure they were told to keep their distance from each other.
Makes me suspect there's a transmission factor as yet undiscovered.

It's getting a little tin foil hat in here. I think somebody made a good point earlier that if we had more cases than being reported we would hear of people needing respirators in hospitals as well as other things like healthcare workers in full protective gear.
From what we know, it takes a while to get to that state. So while it looks like the US (and the UK for that matter) aren't getting particularly hit by it, it may be that it actually is spreading, but it just hasn't had time to get to the point where it's hospitalising significant numbers of people.

To put that in perspective, six days ago on the 20th February, Italy had two or three confirmed cases and no deaths. Now they're at 458 cases and 12 deaths. The UK and US may - may - just be where Italy was a week ago.

Or just look at the cruise ship. All of those people were infected after they made everyone stay in their cabins. I think they each had designated outside time but I am sure they were told to keep their distance from each other.
They all had the same recirculated air, infected crew moved freely throughout the ship.

got a question... ok.. 3% death rate.

But how long does a person have this? Can a person get over this without going to the hospital? Is the recovery 100%

America is where Super Viruses go to die SARS, PIG FLU, H1/N1, and probably The Corona Virus.
Not SARS ... but the swine flu (same as H1N1, a specific strain I think) wasn't disruptive in the U.S. if memory serves.

There is a psychiatric hospital that confirmed 99 out of 102 patients. They were all in isolated room without contact.
I'd have to read about this.

got a question... ok.. 3% death rate.

But how long does a person have this? Can a person get over this without going to the hospital? Is the recovery 100%
According to the WHO, around 80% of people recover without needing special treatment. Around 1 in 6 become seriously ill with breathing difficulties.

As for how long, it seems to vary, from a couple of weeks of little or no symptoms, to six weeks or more.

That's the general outline of it. The exact figures may well shift as time goes on and we can get a better handle on it. But the general shape of it - the severity and duration of symptoms varies quite a lot, a small but significant number of people develop severe symptoms, but people do mostly recover without hospital treatment - is pretty solid at this point I'd say.

According to the WHO, around 80% of people recover without needing special treatment. Around 1 in 6 become seriously ill with breathing difficulties.

As for how long, it seems to vary, from a couple of weeks of little or no symptoms, to six weeks or more.

That's the general outline of it. The exact figures may well shift as time goes on and we can get a better handle on it. But the general shape of it - the severity and duration of symptoms varies quite a lot, a small but significant number of people develop severe symptoms, but people do mostly recover without hospital treatment - is pretty solid at this point I'd say.

Thank You.

I'd have to read about this.

Now, some of them had compromised immune systems. 7 of them have died since that articl e was written 4 days ago. They also had floor ventilation systems that may have increased the spread by as much as double. Just saying, the reason we don't have cases isn't and few less handshakes or hugs.

I'm gonna throw out a theory on maybe why we haven't seen an explosion of cases here yet. Maybe it's cultural? What I'm thinking is we tend not to greet one another with hugs and kisses unless it's a spouse or relative. And generally, when having a casual conversation, we do so at a fairly greater distance than many other countries. Also, it seems we worry more about being clean, take more showers and have access to over the counter remedies than a lot of other nations.

Even though there have been scant few tests done, it sure seems like we've dodged the proverbial bullet to this point. That can all turn on a dime, but I was just thinking about why we've had so few cases here. It's a bit weird to be honest.

Just wanted to add, the weirdness factor for me is that we're a fairly open society and people from all over the world travel here, and frequently. It's just surprising to me that we haven't seen much considering all that's going on. I have to think people who have traveled here in the last month have been in the country and unwittingly not only carrying the virus, but also spreading it. It seems like enough time has elapsed that we should have started seeing more than a few cases pop up by now. Hard to explain that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom