COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (23 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was trade question rhetorical? I understand all what you say and don’t disagree, if anything we should try to start making this all in house, IMHO.

My guess is that they could make it all in house, but they don't because they are getting the component parts cheaper from other places. I mean, there are paper mills every 50 miles or so in the south so we have plenty of mills that can do it. But 3M likely makes more profit from getting stuff other places. It's the whole globalization thing which I tend to think of as a good thing.

For those of us here in WA state that watch the news it was apparent that we were at risk late February when the first WA state death occurred and the virus spread like wild fire in several nursing homes that shared the same staff members. And it quickly became obvious that asymptomatic infected people were unknowingly spreading the disease. The fact that other states did not quickly enact measures to limit the spread of the disease borders on being criminal.

Fair enough, but Mardi Gras was on February 25 and there really wasn't much coverage of COVID-19 around hear other than on this thread. So, it would have taken some alert from the CDC for anyone here to have any idea that Mardi Gras should be cancelled. I mean, the NBA didn't even start canceling games until March 10 or so and Disney World didn't shut down until March 16. Should the states have known better? I'm not sure there is any way that they could without some sort of directives from the CDC. I means, that's why we have the CDC.

My guess is that they could make it all in house, but they don't because they are getting the component parts cheaper from other places. I mean, there are paper mills every 50 miles or so in the south so we have plenty of mills that can do it. But 3M likely makes more profit from getting stuff other places. It's the whole globalization thing which I tend to think of as a good thing.

there are plenty of paper mills.

there isn’t plenty of Western red cedar trees, though. The fiber of this tree is what makes the material in the five different recipes for the K10 pulp.

it’s not as if any mill or paper production can be substituted for it.

there are plenty of paper mills.

there isn’t plenty of Western red cedar trees, though. The fiber of this tree is what makes the material in the five different recipes for the K10 pulp.

it’s not as if any mill or paper production can be substituted for it.

Yeah, I have to admit I didn't read the article so I didn't know what kind of trees they needed. And, I'm not really an Arborist, although I do play one on the VG, but I can't imagine that red cedar is the only kind of tree you can use for a mask is it? And don't we have a good bit of western red cedar in California, Oregon, Washington, and Alaska?

Anyway, I think it's a bad idea to restrict international trade anyway. It's a populist position, that I've never liked that has now ironically become part of the new Republican party.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have to admit I didn't read the article so I didn't know what kind of trees they needed. And, I'm not really an Arborist, although I do play one on the VG, but I can't imagine that red cedar is the only kind of tree you can use for a mask is it? And don't we have a good bit of western red cedar in California, Oregon, and Washington?

Anyway, I think it's a bad idea to restrict international trade anyway. It's a populist position, that I've never like that has now ironically become part of the new Republican party.

I don’t really know the answers to this either. But theyve had talking heads on tv up here explaining that the best western red cedar is Seattle and north of that. Most of it is in British Columbia and there’s some in Alaska too.

how true that actually is I don’t know.

and the recipes in question only one company has them. Other companies mill western red cedar but can’t produce this pulp.

And from what I understand, because it’s what theyve been explaining up here, there has not been another tree fiber they have found that works for medical PPE.

I don’t really know the answers to this either. But theyve had talking heads on tv up here explaining that the best western red cedar is Seattle and north of that. Most of it is in British Columbia and there’s some in Alaska too.

how true that actually is I don’t know.

and the recipes in question only one company has them. Other companies mill western red cedar but can’t produce this pulp.

And from what I understand, because it’s what theyve been explaining up here, there has not been another tree fiber they have found that works for medical PPE.

Interesting. For reasons I won't go into because it's boring, I know a good bit about the paper making process and paper mills, but I guess I never realized that the kind of wood used made such a difference.

Fair enough, but Mardi Gras was on February 25 and there really wasn't much coverage of COVID-19 around hear other than on this thread. So, it would have taken some alert from the CDC for anyone here to have any idea that Mardi Gras should be cancelled. I mean, the NBA didn't even start canceling games until March 10 or so and Disney World didn't shut down until March 16. Should the states have known better? I'm not sure there is any way that they could without some sort of directives from the CDC. I means, that's why we have the CDC.
IMO, the NBA postponing the season changed everyone’s mind. The day after everything started closing.

Interesting. For reasons I won't go into because it's boring, I know a good bit about the paper making process and paper mills, but I guess I never realized that the kind of wood used made such a difference.

im only relating what we’ve heard up here and it’s probably going to be biased toward the CDN.

all I know about them is the smell when we’d drive through northern Louisiana.

IMO, the NBA postponing the season changed everyone’s mind. The day after everything started closing.

I think it was the first time that everyone took notice that this was serious. It was particularly impactful in New Orleans because it was the Pelicans v. Jazz game that was the one of the first games that got cancelled and it was the Pelicans that were saying they didn't want to go on the court with Rudy Gobert (a Lafayette native I think. At least he played at ULL). It really hit home in New Orleans at that point and probably most of the country that is not obsessed with Twitter and other social media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom