COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (10 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sources please.

I didnt claim to have done research. I am just pointing out that there are other potential consequences to keeping the country locked down instead of a regulated reopening

OK I did a little searching. In the first link, the article notes what you said but also states that those relationships have changed from that time to now

And this article notes that it was mostly a lack of automobile deaths responsible for the change...since people couldnt afford cars

Makes sense. I imagine auto deaths are down for March-May, too.

Makes sense. I imagine auto deaths are down for March-May, too.

Its like when some members of the media tried to say there were tons more covid19 deaths in New York because there were far more deaths in their homes than normal.
Well duh....with people staying at home, they werent dying of natural, non-covid19 causes in puclic places or businesses

Its like when some members of the media tried to say there were tons more covid19 deaths in New York because there were far more deaths in their homes than normal.
Well duh....with people staying at home, they werent dying of natural, non-covid19 causes in puclic places or businesses

Yeah, but don't misread that. The total number of deaths per day is up, too.
Not every C19 victim makes it to a hospital. They're found at home.
So it's a mix and you have to figure the excess is largely due to Covid-19.

My point with the life expectancy data was to debunk the idea that a depression will result in this widespread carnage of suicides and starvation. It didn't in the 30's.

My point with the life expectancy data was to debunk the idea that a depression will result in this widespread carnage of suicides and starvation. It didn't in the 30's.

Yeah, while it's hard on people, we're more resilient than you might expect. I get that we have certain expectations about the economy and jobs, it's times like this when we need to dig deep and make do with less. I've been down that road before. If there's something of a social and economic safety net, I think we can last a while in lockdown. That said, a $1200 one time payment isn't sustainable for very long. It's going to get to a point where either the government steps in with temporary monthly payments for those out of work, or we're gonna have a massive crisis on our hands.

I hope we get through this, but seeing that parts of Asia is already seeing a substantial second wave going on, we may still be in the somewhat early stages of this. We need to be prepared to make some tough decisions. The next 6 month are not gonna be a walk in the park.

That is true but we are a different society now...one used to generally being able to get what we want when we want it, within reason...very narcissistic and in to instant gratification. Also, the depression really didnt make as much an impact on minorities as they were repressed far more than they are now....the depression made less of a difference in their lifestyle

And overall people were far more self-sufficient than they are now

Ohio announced that due to antibody testing we now know Ohio had cases in 5 counties as far back as January.

Wow, that would seem to be rather major news. We're not talking about cases on the coasts, but very much inland and north. These days, that's not eye-opening, but back in January this stuff was "just getting here" or so we thought. It seems that it has been around and more widespread than we realized. I'd see that as good news because it means more people have likely been exposed and didn't even know it.

Have you bothered to research the fallout from an economic depression? The number of suicides, the massive increase in crime and associated deaths? The deaths from a degradation of the health care system? And that isnt even getting into the other negative consequences

People will die as a result of whatever decisions are made...all we can do is hope to minimize it

The choice doesn't have to be "re-open, consequences be damned" or "stay closed forever." And legislation to provide income to Americans in the interim would help the situation. So, yes, I have and yes, there are solutions.

Wow, that would seem to be rather major news. We're not talking about cases on the coasts, but very much inland and north. These days, that's not eye-opening, but back in January this stuff was "just getting here" or so we thought. It seems that it has been around and more widespread than we realized. I'd see that as good news because it means more people have likely been exposed and didn't even know it.
Brazil said the same thing.

Yeah, while it's hard on people, we're more resilient than you might expect. I get that we have certain expectations about the economy and jobs, it's times like this when we need to dig deep and make do with less. I've been down that road before. If there's something of a social and economic safety net, I think we can last a while in lockdown. That said, a $1200 one time payment isn't sustainable for very long. It's going to get to a point where either the government steps in with temporary monthly payments for those out of work, or we're gonna have a massive crisis on our hands.

I hope we get through this, but seeing that parts of Asia is already seeing a substantial second wave going on, we may still be in the somewhat early stages of this. We need to be prepared to make some tough decisions. The next 6 month are not gonna be a walk in the park.

Part of the problem is that most Americans spend every penny they make and have no emergency savings. A lot of this "my freedom!" crap is code for "I'm financially irresponsible and don't have any cash reserves and I'm about to lose the McMansion and BMW that I shouldn't have bought on my salary to begin with!".

Same goes for businesses. Owners milk their businesses for every ounce of liquidity to buy the aforementioned McMansions and BMWs and don't leave anything in there for disasters or business interruptions. I don't think there should be any bailouts for any business of any size. And I think the income limit for personal bailouts was way too high. We as a society continue to encourage people to live beyond their means and act financially irresponsible. Why would anyone stop doing that if they know there's a bailout every time?

And the funny part is that right now a lot of the people panicking because they've been living beyond their means and a two month interruption in pay is disastrous are the "pick yourselves up by the bootstraps!" crowd. Huh.

Have you bothered to research the fallout from an economic depression? The number of suicides, the massive increase in crime and associated deaths? The deaths from a degradation of the health care system? And that isnt even getting into the other negative consequences

People will die as a result of whatever decisions are made...all we can do is hope to minimize it

The deaths from a degradation of the health care system is a real thing, I dont understand why so many have such a strong opinion without having some kind of assumption or connection to the medical field. Yes, COVID-19 is real, but so is minor acute care that has gone far too long without proper care that has turned into severe cases; that is not accounting the severe acute cases right out of the gate that went far too long without medical care. These people stayed away for many reasons either out of fear or being told not to come in and some happened to take it a little to literal. My clients that I talk with week after week at the hospitals are providing this feedback in the emergent care sector, my direct friends that I have whom work at hospitals are reporting this, these observations are at both a rural and metro level.

Agreed, for the reasons above is why I have a problem with the blanket assumptions of the NY 3000k plus deaths added in one day. Sure more than likely most were COVID-19 but they have the swabs to make that decsion of death at a later date to be determined, for an accurate count and work toward the studies of the effects of COVID-19.

Going to share this link to a blog by a doctor - it's a bit lengthy, but it is a great resource for information about how the disease is spread and prevention measures in places like work environments, outside jogging, going to a restaurant, shopping at a mall, etc.

Effective mix of science and practical application, imo

I think it's worth the read and maybe bookmarking or printing up as a reference. I expect I will be coming back to it more than once, personally.

And it is being updated, too - as recently as an hour ago of my posting here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom