COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (25 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, that's a bit concerning. It would mean that much tighter controls would be needed to effectively contain it.

Containment has long been off the table in the US. It’s really a question of the degree of mitigation that is appropriate - but that can be pretty subjective and subject to a range of competing interests. That’s why there’s so much disagreement, I think.

crg.gif

That's it, I demand that they stop abridging my freedom and allow me to legally smoke weed. I just want to help the economy get back open.

Maybe we could just turn The Dome into a giant bong and have home games with fans.

im not even getting my hopes up.

Because some state legislator in N LA will still be pounding the lectern that this is the DEVILS LETTUCE.

But that could explain my seemingly inability to contract this COVID 19 on weekends ;)

In April Faucci says... Don't wear masks...

"There's no reason to be walking around with a mask," infectious disease expert Dr. Anthony Fauci told 60 Minutes.

While masks may block some droplets, Fauci said, they do not provide the level of protection people think they do. Wearing a mask may also have unintended consequences: People who wear masks tend to touch their face more often to adjust them, which can spread germs from their hands.

So did the "science on face masks" change in a couple months time?

Now, we all must wear a mask...

This is why I have trust issues with anything government appointment driven, and all things political in general. Seems like the science is being made to fit the politics, and not the other way around.

FWIW, I have been wearing a mask in public since March, and will continue to do so despite the flip flops. I have also learned to take all these "scientific facts" - "statistics modeling" - "expert medical recommendations" with a grain of salt at this point... all of it has been wrong, way off. or contradictory at some level, and at some point up to now.
This right here is the very reason why I still wipe down EVERYTHING that comes into my house - every grocery item, every piece of mail - because they've been saying, "Oh, you don't need to do that." Sorry, I'm gonna do it anyway if for nothing more than peace of mind.

At the beginning of the coronavirus outbreak — and for weeks afterward — there was one thing Americans could seemingly agree upon: Anthony S. Fauci.

Today, that’s considerably less the case. While Fauci retains the faith of a strong majority of Americans, opposition from Republicans has crept up steadily over the past month or so, as conservative media figures and politicians have increasingly called his advice into question.

Picking up that mantle in a particularly prominent way Tuesday was Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), who spent his time at a hearing of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee grilling Fauci and suggesting he shouldn’t oversell his knowledge about what might become of the novel coronavirus — while also questioning Fauci’s role in decisions about the response.........

My personal privacy albeit in the Snowden era....I am not say I wouldn’t do it.l just need time to think and see how this plays out.

Privacy from what, the government knowing that James Spader ate at Ruth's Chris on 05/30 at 6:00 pm, only in the event of there being 2 or 3 cases tied to Ruths Chris at around 5:00 to 7:00?

If anything, I would LIKE them to have this info on me so that I could be informed if they need to.

Weekly Wednesday Walmart shopping report:

I changed things up a bit today. I had some things to take care of mid-day, so I decided to go early for groceries. Same store as usual, though. I got there about 8:30 am. Very few people and probably 90% in masks. I was thrilled. This is the same place were it's usually around 25% in masks. So going early is definitely the way to go! Also, I didn't see anything that was out of stock or limited (other than disinfectant spray and wipes, same as usual). This Walmart didn't have any limits on the amount of meat you could buy, but there seemed to be the normal amount available. People don't seem to be stockpiling or buying crazy amounts, just normal buying patterns, from what I could tell. Of course, your location could vary.

I don't usually trust DeadSpin as a source, but they are citing the Palm Beach Post and Miami Herald. (I have no idea if those papers have a rep for siding one way or another politically.) Anyway, I wonder if it's true that Florida has been hiding the real COVID numbers?

The title is about DeSantis inviting sports teams to play in Florida, but that's only a small part of the content. Dead Spin buried the lede:

View: https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/1260677116175306754?s=20

The STAT tracker looks pretty slick to me. (STAT is a medical research and news publication out of Boston).

Their case graphic (for US or state by state) is demonstrative as it shows total cases and daily new cases - which is going to be the most important metric going forward.

I think another very useful number would be a state by state tracker on how many positive tests are coming back per state as a percentage of total tests administered per state. If a state were to double total tests overnight, would their positive cases also double or would there be a lower percentage of positives but a higher raw number of new cases?

The total number of people who exhibit no symptoms after testing positive is not an easy number to pin down, but I have seen some numbers up in the 50-70% range and a recent report of over 80%. (The accuracy of tests is always a concern in any of this.) I would also assume that some people are being tested because they do have symptoms of something and some of those come back positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom