COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (65 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is Trevor Bedford’s latest update on tracking the arrival and distribution of the virus in the US. Bedford has been analyzing the viral genome beginning with the Washington state outbreak in February.

Thread:

I've added a couple of marks. If I'm reading correctly, the first yellow mark is the supposed introduction into the New Orleans area. The red mark is Mardi Gras Day and the 2nd yellow is 5 or 6 days after Mardi Gras. Does this look right? If so, that's crazy timing.
mgday.jpg

Here is Trevor Bedford’s latest update on tracking the arrival and distribution of the virus in the US. Bedford has been analyzing the viral genome beginning with the Washington state outbreak in February.

Thread:

Note his comments about Louisiana:

I've added a couple of marks. If I'm reading correctly, the first yellow mark is the supposed introduction into the New Orleans area. The red mark is Mardi Gras Day and the 2nd yellow is 5 or 6 days after Mardi Gras. Does this look right? If so, that's crazy timing.
mgday.jpg

Very demonstrative - thanks

That's a good option. The "problem" for me is that mine wants to be a architect and most of those programs require that you start the program your freshman year. LSU has a 5 year program, but you get out as a certified Professional Architect. And she's a really good student so I'm not really afraid that she will waste the opportunity.
my wife started her education with tulane architecture. she lasted 2 semesters. literally was at school 7 days a week working on projects.

not an easy degree, by any means.

I'm not going to call people out but there have been a few.

Really only one I can think of who was really adamant about it. Most people are in the middle. Don't want to open things up completely, but want a measured reopening and contingencies in the even we need to pull back if the virus runs rampant again. Neither opening fully nor completely shutting sitting down are viable options.

People saying the economy gonna crash are ignoring the fact that it already has, substantially. I don't think the economy is gonna get a whole lot worse, but, the pandemic can. The whole cure can't be worse than the disease mantra is a fallacy and based in fear rather than any sort of reality imo.

Maybe dentists will be allowed to open soon. A lot of medical stuff is being postponed. I've postponed a dr. appointment twice now. These so-called elective things are not helping people with preventative medicine.

Dentists reopened in Texas. I went last Friday to have a teeth cleaning. I was the only patient in the office, had to fill out the CDC questionnaire about travel, had my temperature checked, and then before the cleaning started had to swish some stuff in my mouth. I was told it was milder than Listerine but would kill any virus'. I could go in different conspiracy directions with that, but I'll just let it be.

I work on the admin side of a Colorado based national law firm that has strong political connections at the fed, state and local level (i.e. I expect that we have people as much "in the know" regarding government decision making as one could hope for). We had a management meeting today, and one of the big topics of course was the "Return to Office Strategy," with three phase approach announced -- I figured some people might find this informative from an anecdotal perspective as far as the steps we'll be taking.

Now keep in mind that the state and local (Denver) stay at home orders have expired in favor of "Safer at Home" directives, but despite that the firm is taking a slow approach to returning to the office. For at least the next month we'll be continuing to work remotely with only a handful of "essential" allowed in the office, just as we have for the last eight weeks, and no determination has been made of when we expect to begin Phase I

Phase I is "Office as a Resource." People aside from essential personnel will be allowed to go to the office, but must justify their reasons for being there (i.e. for purposes that can't be handled remotely) and must be asymptomatic. There will be limited office support, so people in the office will need to be self sufficient. Kitchens will be closed, conference room usage must allow 6 foot distancing, and employees will be required to wear masks at all times except when alone in a private office. To that end, the firm is attempting to acquire and stockpile masks, cleaning products, hand sanitizer, etc. and also reviewing what distancing and cleaning protocols will need to be in place (for example, our Denver building is only allowing two people on an elevator at a time, so they might need to stagger office hours so there's not a logjam in the lobby). Otherwise, business travel will still be prohibited.

Phase II is "Cautious Return," whereby once we're fully comfortable with Phase I maybe 25% of the firm will be allowed to return, likely under the same circumstances in Phase I.

Phase III is still under development, as it's "too soon to say."

So basically even without stay home orders things will be continuing status quo indefinitely.

I feel like this should be standard, nationwide. Office workers and companies in which employees are still doing their jobs perfectly fine from home should remain that way for the foreseeable future and only in the office when absolutely necessary. Re-opening should not entail taking unnecessary risks.

Dentists reopened in Texas. I went last Friday to have a teeth cleaning. I was the only patient in the office, had to fill out the CDC questionnaire about travel, had my temperature checked, and then before the cleaning started had to swish some stuff in my mouth. I was told it was milder than Listerine but would kill any virus'. I could go in different conspiracy directions with that, but I'll just let it be.
It was probably a numbing agent so that you wouldn't notice the 5g receiver that they injected into your cheek.

People saying the economy gonna crash are ignoring the fact that it already has, substantially. I don't think the economy is gonna get a whole lot worse, but, the pandemic can. The whole cure can't be worse than the disease mantra is a fallacy and based in fear rather than any sort of reality imo.
Oh, it can get much worse just by not getting better fast.

The ironic part of all of this, if we had just listened to Science and Math we could be damn near fully reopen with almost no virus left in the USA. The same people crying about the economy are the same ones that refused to listen and causing the problem. I'm beyond angry. These people ignore common sense then get angry when common sense wins and their answer is to try to defeat common sense with stupidity. It's a nasty cycle and until we break it, it will get worse.

It was probably a numbing agent so that you wouldn't notice the 5g receiver that they injected into your cheek.

That may explain why, since Friday afternoon, every time my wife revs up the microwave, I piss my pants and forget who I am for about half an hour.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom